“Not Even Remotely Worth It”

Globe Bookstore and Cafe
Ranked #23 of 400 Shopping in Prague
Reviewed 22 July 2013 via mobile

I've been in Prague for about a month now, so I like to think I've grown accustomed to poor service. Still, this was by far the worst I've gotten during my entire time here. First of all, almost nothing had a price on it, so I was going off the number on the back of the books. After waiting at the counter for at least two minutes for the cashiers to finish up their conversation about their weekends, I was informed the book was almost twice the amount printed on the back. I can understand raising the price a little for an English book in a Czech speaking country, but that's just ridiculous. Alas, I really wanted the book, so I handed over the money. After giving me a look like I'd just asked her to pick up dog poo, the cashier informed me that she didn't have any change. "Really?" She said to me. "You don't have any tens or twenties?" No lady, I don't. This is Prague. I spend all of those on beer. She told me I'd have to go to the cafe and see if they had change for me. At that point, I was done and walked out instead. Overall, an extremely disappointing experience from a place that came so highly recommended from travel guides and locals alike. The place gets points for being cute as hell, but it's not worth the trek I made (way out of my way) to get there.

3  Thank Ironscourtney

Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

One of the best breakfasts I've ever had anywhere (and I've eaten in a lot of places), absolutely delicious and the coffee was decent enough too. Would have been a straight 5 stars but the staff unfortunately let the place down a bit, shame. They weren't that bad just weren't the most attentive or polite, still better than most places in Prague though!

Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was a regular at The Globe, and I shudder to think about the money I've dropped in there. It is close to work, and it is a good place to catch-up with expats that I haven't seen in awhile. I have been friendly or even friends with some of the waitstaff since I started going for trivia night 2 years ago. Still, a part of the staff has become indifferent to customers, and sometimes they don't even bother to hide their contempt for them. I still enjoy seeing some of the old faces, but I can't justify paying even for a quick dinner before I return to work because the staff has become so unpleasant. I decided to give them another try after a long break: big mistake. As I arrived, the patrons next to me muttered "assh**e" to the waiter after they futilely tried to get their check. Despite the place being nearly empty, I waited for 30 minutes while the wait staff cleaned glasses, changed the daily menu on the chalkboard and chatted with their friend at the bar. Finally, as I was about to leave, the waiter came with a menu. From there I was treated with curt and impolite responses to any requested, as if I were being impertinent. Typically I am suitably deferential to waitstaff, so I know this was not a response from obnoxiousness. Regardless, the last nasty exchange at the register sealed it for me when I tried to pay with stravenky. I've been in there enough times where I'm known as a regular. I don't expect VIP treatment, but given the amount of money I've given to the place, a little professional courtesy would be appropriate. I know that other patrons (friends) have experienced the same.

Reviewed 9 May 2013

I went here during my week long visit to Prague after reading the reviews on here. I didn't eat in the café but it did look very nice and goodly priced. The books are interesting and have many different genres some relating to Prague specifically other more world known books and authors. The prices of the books were also quite cheap and worth paying for.

Reviewed 4 April 2013

This place was recommended by the Lonely Planet travel guide and we (group of 7 Germans) were quite happy when we immediatly found a free table. The Globe offers brunch until 4 P.M. which was very convenient. We ordered breakfast and since we were a travel group, we used the opportunity to order a variety from the menu (english breakfast, eggs benedict on a bagel, bleberry pancakes, chamomille tea, freshly squeezed juice, crèpes, bloody mary). The service was good and the food tasted like the best stuff I've had in Canada or the US. I love the fact that you can have the best of both worlds there: books & culture and delicious food. From the Globe it is a short walk to the city center. It's a great place to hang out and talk. The café offers lots of activities at night (they are open each day until 1 A.M.) such as Karaoke and free movie screenings. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

1  Thank WEBLOFT