“The old Prague.”
Review of Prague

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Neighbourhoods
Neighbourhoods
China
284 helpful votes
“The old Prague.”
Reviewed 2 August 2010

Prague is very famous city in Czech.Especially the castle.When I was there,there were too many people.I thought maybe it was weekend.I was going to visit the church which near the castle.The ticket was 250 krone.But the staff charged me 650 krone.Finally she told me that 400 krone was for the electronic tour guider.If I had the guider,I would be allowed to enter the church through the exit.Because there was a long queue in front of the entrance.Anyway, the city is so beautiful and historic.Unfortunately,it was raining all along.I stayed in the youth hotel sir toby.I hope the name of the hotel is correct.5 beds in one room.It is far from the city center.But the price is so acceptable,only 18 euros.

1 Thank lisaselencer
Council Bluffs, IA
25 helpful votes
“Beautiful, fantastic, Prague (with too many tourists)”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Well, what can I say about Prague.
I grew up in a military family, during the Cold War, and Prague was on the wrong side of the Iron Curtain.
What an incredibly beautiful, history filled place. I would love to spend a bunch more time there, if I could figure out when the tourist season wasn't. The upside - there's lots of cool stuff to see and do, the food's fantastic, and the beer even better. The downside is there are tourists and tourist junk shops EVERYWHERE! And the Czechs aren't the most courteous people I've ever run into, at least in the heart of Prague.

We arrived in Prague at around noon, by train from Leipzig, where our son lives. Taking a wrong turn led us into the old portion of the main Prague railway station, Prague's missing a bet by not restoring it - it's a way cool, but pretty badly run down Art Deco gem, finished in 1917, if I remember correctly.

Had a van waiting for the 7 of us, Mom, Dad (me), 4 sons (27-13) + one fiance (#2 son's), which took us across town to pick up the key to the apartment we had rented for the 3 night stay, then to the apartment. The apartment was 2 blocks from Wenceslas Square, right across the street from one of the pubs recommended on line (we didn't try it, because you didn't even have to step in the door for the cigarette smoke to overpower you - too bad, it was highly recommended), very convenient to restaurants, subway, streetcar, and it had a lift for us old folks.

The apartment was very nice, BUT, until I get the dispute over whether or not we broke a bed settled - we got informed that we'd be charged for it 2 days after we left Prague - and we didn't break anything - I'm not mentioning names. If they drop it, I drop it. If not, I will post a negative review of the place. I had intended to give them a very favorable review, until we got the nasty-gram accusing us of damaging the place.

Anyway, 1st night we ate across the street at Privní Novoměstský Resaurační Pivovar. The reviews were good, and it was close, so we tried it. Glad we did. Good food, a pleasant atmosphere, not too much smoke (none, if you exclude the guy with the pipe 2 tables away). Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Day 2, split up, Mom, Dad, #3 & #4 sons went on a bus/walking tour: Bus to Prague Castle, then bus to end of Charles Bridge, walk across Charles Bridge (1st pic taken at the end of Charles Bridge) and to Old Town Square, with a really excellent guide. Unfortunately can't remember the name of the tour operator. #1 & 2 sons and fiance had done that bit last summer, so they just went walkabout in the old city. After the tour broke up at Old Town Square, Mom, Dad, #3 & 4 went exploring around the Square, had a beer (Staropramen - easily my favorite of the Bohemian beers I tried) at an Irish pub - in Prague, no less. Met the rest of the group back at the apartment and watched a World Cup game. Dinner that night at Restaurace U ceskych panu, also very convenient. Nice, if theatrical atmosphere, but really good food. Enjoyed the dinner and the beer!

Next day, the whole family went to the Castle and toured the, Cathedral. (Pics 2 & 3) Then ate lunch in St. George's Square, behind the cathedral. Then Mom and Dad went off one way, the kids their own way, and met up later, when the kids decided to go back to the apartment one way, and Mom and Dad went exploring the other way. The group gathered in Old Town Square in time to watch the Uroloj (Astronomical Clock) strike the hour and do its thing, then went to dinner at Restaurace Jedova chyse Praha, and sat in the courtyard. Delightful, easily the best meal we had. Pilsner Urquell pub - Very good beer, but I must say I give the edge to Staropramen.

The next morning the van picked us up at 10AM, which was at least an hour earlier than needed, and took us to the train station. Circuitously. The driver was angling for a bigger fee. Actual distance travelled was probably less than 15 blocks. Of course the route he took probably quadrupled that. Unfortunately for him, we had negotiated a rate for the transfer to and from the apartment/train station with the outfit we booked the apartment through, TravelCook. They did their part very well, and were easy to deal with before the trip.

The new portion of the main railway station is very modern and clean, and has a really good bookshop, with an English language section, which was really nice. Back to Leipzig by train, to continue our vacation in Europe.

All in all: Would I go back to Prague? In a heartbeat! Would I stay in the city center again? Not on your life! Prague's worth at least a week, but try to stay away from the tourist zone, unless that's your thing.

New York City
26 helpful votes
“Terrific Guide”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

In a city loaded with tourists during the summer, its worthwhile to hire your own guide for half a day or a day to see specific sites.
http://www.personalpragueguide.com/ provided us with the owners father to see Jewish Prague and the Prague Castle. Milan is a virtual history book of the city and comes prepared with visual aids (timelines, maps) to help you understand Prague. He also knows when to hit a site to avoid waiting in lines. Not cheap but worth every cent to a visitor who wants to understand a city...

Indiana, USA
31 helpful votes
“Martin Tours Prague, Czech Republic”
Reviewed 23 July 2010

My sister and I took a luncheon river cruise with Martin tours today, July 23, 2010. The attendant at the booth was unfriendly to start with. Before you go on a tour ask lots of questions. If they cannot answer them, don't go on a tour with that company. There is lots of competition for your money. The bus took us to Old Town, not the river. We had a 10 minute walk to the river. The guide did not know which boat. The boat basically goes up and down a very short distance. We were served a buffet lunch that was OK but they ran out of food and brought refills too late. The views are not as good as what you see from Prague Castle or from the river bank or Charles Bridge. The guide was also arrogant and had to let us know how educated and knowledgeable she was. She also made the point that a Czech education is much better than in the U.S. Finally, the boat was filled with inconsiderate, rude young people. Not sure why they were on the boat because they sat in boots playing cards.

2 Thank SandyIndiana_USA
Praha
21 helpful votes
“Prague, Czech Republic”
Reviewed 20 July 2010

I would like to commend the Prague, city in hearts of Europe. This lovely city is full of history, romantic streets, gardens, churchs and beautiful castle. You can find very good accommodations for your trip and also famous restaurant. The czech food is very nice. If you are looking for some historic atmosphere, you will definitely find it in Prague. You can browse along streets and you will feel the unforgenttable feeling. The Prague, is a unforgenttable city.

2 Thank DitaM

Been to Prague? Share your experiences!