“Lovely, convenient, weird and comfortable”
Review of Grandhotel Brno

Ranked #3 of 56 Hotels in Brno
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely, convenient, weird and comfortable”
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Having just stayed at a 5 star hotel in London the night before, I was interested to see how this 4 star in the Czech republic would compare.

First of all, it's in the most convenient location imaginable, opposite the train station, by the airport bus stop, on the edge of a pretty small and eminently walkable town centre.

Second, although it does have a somewhat dated decor, it's scrupulously clean and exceedingly comfortable.

Third, the service, as with everywhere else we went in Brno, was excellent. Not just professional but also convivial, helpful and personal.

Fourth, our room was huge, and warm. Actually maybe a bit too warm, but then I like it cold. We had aircon I just didn't use it, and opened the window instead. It's a personal preference.

It wasn't perfect. The TV was a bit rubbish, there was a lightbulb blown in the bedroom, and yes the decor made it feel like a late 80's Bond film.

But it was far far better than most other places I've stayed, and at £60 a night, it was an absolute bargain.

Room Tip: Higher floors are probably better, in case you don't want to hear traffic or the sound of drunke...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Grandhotel B, Front Office at Grandhotel Brno, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing Grandhotel Brno for your stay in Brno and thank you also for sharing your impression. We appreciate your comments, which is very important for us.

We are pleased to hear that you spent an enjoyable time in Brno, especially in Grandhotel Brno.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again to our hotel in the future.

Grandhotel Brno

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Aliso Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed 15 March 2013

This was my first time staying at this hotel – I came in from Vienna on the bus (2.5 hour ride – great experience) and the hotel is just across from the bus stop. The hotel is an almost surreal experience – almost like you in an Eastern bloc country from the early 80s (except for the iPhones and Macs everywhere). My room had a large padded door and looked a bit dated but the bathroom was brand new. The hotel staff were very helpful and polite.
Getting there: I took the bus from Vienna airport and it stops right across from the hotel.
Here is my summary – I try to take into account the things you might find important on a business trip
Location Very good, easy to get to. I did not eat at the hotel but the menu looked like it has a number of vegetarian choices which is very good for people like me.
Room Comfortable beds, temperature control in room
Bathroom Very well equipped; nice shower, shaving mirror
Workspace Decent, 1 power socket available at table, not much room on the desk if you have a laptop on it
Wi-Fi Average performance, free. Easily able to connect to my work network and work remotely.
Breakfast Reasonable – lots of pastries and fruit.
Negatives A little dated.

I’d stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Grandhotel B, Front Office at Grandhotel Brno, responded to this review, 29 March 2013
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and staying with us. We really appreciate the
sharing of your impression.
We are glad that our service as well as the hotel location have made your stay a remarkable
one.
We believe that your next stay in Grandhotel Brno will meet your expectation at least as the
first one.
Looking forward to welcoming you to our hotel again in the future

We remain with best regards
Douglas, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 March 2013

I am disgusted with this hotel. The one thing you expect is a decent bed to sleep on and not one that has a great big dip in it.. After inspecting the bed in the morning, I find 2 planks were missing from the base! I complained to the reception but there was NO OFFER of compensation. Please see the picture to see what I am referring to.
I suggest trying one of the other hotels in Brno.

Room Tip: Try another hotel in a better part of the town!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank mattsw1
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We appreciate your comments and we
will be working diligently to make your next stay much more comfortable.
We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and we would like
to offer you an upgrade to a higher room category as compensation for the inconveniences.

Your sincerely
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I stayed here in march with 10 other friends. I was surprised at the cleanliness and the size of the rooms! The staff were helpful and the hotel bar wasn't too expensive. There is also a casino which was good fun. You are based by the train station and the city centre is right on your doorstep. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
Grandhotel B, Front Office Manager at Grandhotel Brno, responded to this review, 12 March 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for taking your time to share your experience. I am glad, that you had a nice stay in Brno and that the hotel’s location, good service and quality we provided have made your stay a remarkable one.

I believe that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel again.

Yours sincerely,

Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013 via mobile

This was my second stay at the Grand, and I must say this was better than the first. Room was brilliant, breakfast great, bar really ok. So close to centre, it makes sense and ok may be near station but "location location location". I will be back on non business as it is a really nice feel.
Love you Grand.

Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for staying with us, it was pleasure to read your comments.
I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay in Brno and I am looking forward to welcoming you again to the Grandhotel Brno soon.

Perm, Russia
Reviewed 28 February 2013

Just opposite to the main railway and the bus station, old city is just a walking distance) we liked the hotel and its service, next time if we happen to be in Brno- we will surely book this very hotel for our stay) Wi-fi free, clean rooms, personnel was friendly enough, even when we were a bit late for breakfast...they were very hospitable)) we liked the place very much) From there we could easily reach Nove Mesto Na Morave and see our Russian biathon team failure in the World Championship 2013 (( but that is still not the point))

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Grandhotel B, Front Office Manager at Grandhotel Brno, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your positive feedback! I am glad to hear that you had an enjoyable stay in Brno, appreciating the hotel and its city centre location, as well as the helpful staff.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back in the future!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stayed at Hotel Grand for two nights, the staff were average at best, accommodation for a Single person was small but quiet. As far as the term "Grand", I would say to Czech standards the lobby was nice, including the casino, restaurant and bar, but I would not recommend this hotel to solo travelers unless you enjoy spending more money then necessary. The only positive I have for this Hotel is the location in which it is right across the street from the train station, head out the main exit and you cannot miss the large green lit sign "GRAND HOTEL"...

Room Tip: If you Like a view; ask for the street side, if you want peace and quiet; ask for the rear of Hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
Grandhotel B, Front Office Manager at Grandhotel Brno, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
Dear Guest,

thank you for giving us feedback and sharing your experience.
Next time we would be pleased to offer you Standard double room or one of our spacious
Superior or Deluxe Rooms offering more space and comfort. You can also try our Junior Suite situated on the highest floor which is exceptional in its size. This spacious maisonette suite provides you with an elegant living area and a beautiful bedroom with large walk-in wardrobe.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel again in the future.