“Excellent hotel with it's own Brewery!”
Review of Hotel Pegas Brno

Hotel Pegas Brno
Ranked #16 of 55 Hotels in Brno
Huntington Beach CA
“Excellent hotel with it's own Brewery!”
Reviewed 13 March 2009

I stayed at Hotel Pegas in late January of 2009. Originally, I had read some negative reviews about this hotel, but since I had already made my reservation, I kept it. I'm glad I did. The hotel was extremely clean, rooms were well heated, clean, and comfortable. The front desk staff was attentive and spoke adequate english. Additionaly, I was also given a room discount, because January is during Brno's low travel season. The inclusive breakfast with the room rate was plentiful and adequate. Yet, the best aspect of this hotel, is it's own brewery and restaurant on the first floor. Czech Republic is well known for its fantastic brewing history, Hotel Pegas lives up to that reputation with some fantastic freshly brewed Czech lagers. The hotel is about a 10 to 15 minute walk from the main train station. It's located on a side street, so you should obtain a map prior to your arrival if you intend to walk there. The location is excellent, many shops, local pubs, and a taxi stand all within a 10 minute walk. I will definetely stay there again. My only negative comment is that the TV was not connected to any English news like BBC or CNN, and although I was here on holiday, my business requires me to keep in touch with world affairs.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Madrid, Spain
Reviewed 18 November 2007

Date: November 19 2007
Reviewer: Gab Krejci, London UK
We have always stayed at the Pegas when we have come to Brno and it has always been a lovely stay but not this time.
We requested a quiet double room as we are a couple. When we got to the room there were two single beds. After having a shower the floor was totally flooded. The room was also right next to what sounded like a lift -opening and closing of the doors late at night woke us up.
The next day at breakfast you are asked to choose a number from the breakfast menu. As my partner doesn't drink filtered coffee he asked to have a cocoa with milk instead which was one of the other meals. We were told by the receptionist that this would not be possible. Now come on what century are we living in we are not in the communist times anymore. We even said we would pay for it and she again said it is not possible.
Then on checkout we reported the beds and shower and again the same receptionist could not care less. She must be the rudest Czech person I have ever come across.
Apart from all the issues we have had the pub downstairs is great and the location is very good.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude reception staff
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Helsinki Area
Reviewed 2 July 2007

Nice pictures on the brochures and website but... This hotel is your worst nightmare! Our hotel room was very dirty, we stayed there two nights and we didn't even see the cleaner! Terrible shower, dirty towels, the hotel staff didn't speak much English, breakfast was a big joke (some bread and jam and breakfast "menus"), overall the hotel was very, very dirty and the service was really bad. The only good thing about this hotel is it's location, right in the city centre. We just wonder how is it possible to rate this hotel as three stars hotel. Not worth of staying and the rate is far too high for this kind of hotel.

• Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank Behemoth
Toronto
Reviewed 1 August 2006

We stayed at the Hotel Pegas for two nights while staying in Brno for a wedding. The hotel is centrally located, the staff are friendly, and the rooms are modest. Overall, the room experience is more like staying in a friend's guest room - the beds are comfortable, but not fancy, the bathroom's clean but not very modern, there's a nice window but no A/C, etc.

Pluses include a free bottle of beer when you check in (!), delicious home-brewed beer available in the bar downstairs, helpful staff, and low prices. Minuses were fairly shabby rooms, and a toilet that never seemed to flush completely.

I would not hesitate to recommend the Pegas to any budget-conscious travellers spending time in Brno, but if you are expecting luxury accomodations despite the low price, this is not the hotel for you. Most of the negative reviews I've seen for this hotel seem to be based on unrealistic expectations - we went in with our eyes open, and found the experience to be a good one, albeit fairly free of frills.

• Liked — Location and great beer
  • Disliked — Rooms were a bit worn...
  • Tips/Secrets — Even if you don't stay here, stop by for some beer.
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Nabokov
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 22 May 2006

I'm living here in Brno now for a couple months. Over the past several years worth of business trips, I used to frequent Pegas often, but last night the waiter decided to up the bill a bit, throwing in things like a charge for vegatable garnish and other non-sense that I've never paid for before. Then he refused to offer an itemized receipt, though I indicated I needed it for my expense report. I can tolerate bad food and bad service, but I can't tolerate being robbed in broad daylight.

Pegas - You'll never get my business again.

Stayed May 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed 20 February 2006

I went to Brno with my wife and another couple on one of our frequent "lets pick a random place and go there for a weekend" jaunts.

Brno itself in the summer is very nice. I enjoyed it.

We stayed at Pegas for 2 nights and I would never stay there again. The rooms were musky and hot. They have no air conditioning and extremely small windows that basically are worthless. Beds faily comfy but thats about as good as it got. I really cant stress enough that Pegas is a terrible place to stay at as a Hotel.

But...

The Pegas Beer Hall was the best place in Brno for drinking. We found the waiters to be extremely friendly and they tried very hard to make sure we were happy and serviced. The Beer was great, Light, Dark and mixed. I loved them all. They also had a great Wheat Beer that made Hojgaarden taste like crap.

The food in the bar was also very good, if you like your meat. This place is no good for vegetarians.

So, in conclusion, if your going to Brno, dont stay here, but make sure you drink here.

• Stayed August 2005
9 Thank ChinChimmery
Chicago
Reviewed 6 January 2006

Hotel Pegas did not deliver value for money on our visit in December 2005. My wife and I stayed there three nights. A good Czech friend of ours, who works in tourism, stayed there as well. In the course of three days we were joined, for beers and dinner, by another Czech professional and two "Brits" who are working in Brno. The consensus opinion of everyone was the same, "not good." Our friends say this place, in their experience, is overpriced as well.

I'm American, we travel in Europe quite a bit. We enjoyed seeing Brno(this was our first visit). I really wanted this to be a great three days. We were disappointed. The anticipation of staying above a micro-brewery, being able to walk downstairs for Czech beer and a meal, was wonderful. The reality was not what we anticipated.

As we arrived two hulking waiters crashed out through the pivnice doors dragging a drunk. He was thrown in to the street and gut kicked for good measure. An inauspicious beginning. The lobby, one flight up, was dark and decorated in Socialist modern. The desk staff were accommodating and did the best they could. No complaints there. Our room, on the third level overlooking the street, was just adequate. The bath room was ready for remodeling. The shower stall was 18 inches of the floor and difficult to exit safely. There was plenty of hot water and a good shower head but all in all it was just average. Breakfast is served in the lobby. It is adequate, the coffee was good and freshly made.

We ate in the Restaurant twice and were there for beers as well. Again, it was just average, nothing special. There is no real information about the beer, odd for a micro-brewery. I do not speak Czech and had no problem ordering a beer. Everyone else in our group concurred that the service was surly at best and often downright rude. My Czech friends were actually offended by the waiters.

I can only recommend this place to those who are flying Ryan in from Stansted for a "boys weekend" of beer and skirt chasing. You can't expect much from Ryan either so you will be well prepared for what comes next. If you are drunk enough the rooms don't matter and you don't have far to stagger to your bed. A word to the wise: don't offend the waiters, they have a very direct way of expressing their displeasure.

• Stayed December 2005