“Real gem”

Ranked #40 of 995 Restaurants in Brno
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

The place is not on tourist track,so, most customers seems to be local. The cousine is south-Checkh,simple, but well selected and prepared. Service is first class. The most plesant surprise- it is not expensive at all. The only downside- beer on offer is only Plzen (not my choice),but there are good selection of local wines.

1  Thank A S

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I went to this place on the back of reading the reviews by others on TA and it was everything that was said and more. I couldn't speak more highly of the place. It was a quiet evening when my girlfriend and I went and when we arrived we were greeted and shown to a table, the service was very warm and friendly as well as attentive without being overly in your face about it.

The menu was excellent and had a wide variance of food to choose from, all Czech traditional meals. Topping that off they had excellent beer on tap. I had a pork neck that had been cooked in its own juices with some spices and potatoes which was just divine. My girlfriend is a vegetarian and as is commonly an issue, it can be hard to find places that do many options for her unless you seek out a veggie restaurant, but this place provided at least a couple of different options other than soup or salads and were different from the usual veggie fare of goat's cheese or stuffed peppers.

The restaurant is about a 15/20 minute walk from the main square in Brno but is well worth making the trip to. The price for this amazing food is so low and makes you think twice about how much we pay at home (Ireland) for similar grub, not to mention the beer which is so good it demands return journeys! If you are visiting Brno I highly recommend a visit here, I'll certainly be back if I return to Brno myself!

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We liked it so much the first time, that we went back 3 times more. We loved the old fashioned decor and the uniformed staff who were all so friendly - it has a lovely atmosphere and the tables were not cramped up like in some places in the town centre. The food was excellent and portions were very big. Of particular note were the ribs, the pork neck and the sirloin in cream sauce, but everything we had was so good. It is a little way from the town centre (6-7 mins) but well worth visiting.

1  Thank marcovanbatty
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This restaurant is featured in the young traveller's Brno map and guide. (By the way, a very informative guide).

I ordered the Aspic (pork jelly) for appetizers and the Tafelspitz (which I later realised, was a Austrian-Hungarian dish) and they were absolutely delicious. I am very inclined to big flavours and variety in a dish and this meal truly fit my bill. The Tafelspitz, in particular, was a very large portion for a really good and low price. Thankfully, I was starving and I managed to finish both of my dishes.

This place is tucked away in a corner away from the city centre relatively near a square (Moravské náměstí), which could be easily overlooked. Not the easiest place to find, but it's well worth the search! Great menu for awesome prices. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

I always take visitors to U Seminaru as it offers the most genuine experience of a good Czech restaurant focused on quality hearty food and great beer. The look of the place is reminiscing of the first republic and the service is definitely one of the best I've experienced in CR. I've been there a bunch of times and have always been extremely happy with my choices, but there's one thing that I can't get away from that menu whenever I go there and that's the goose liver pate with port wine as a starter, delicious stuff. In the summer they have tables and chairs outside and they have lots of specials throughout the year, the last one I enjoyed was Asparagus week. One of my top recommendations in Brno. Mains are anything between 120 czk and 280 czk.

1  Thank HugoDeSousa