“A "must visit" if you come to Ostrava”
Review of Zamek Zabreh

Zamek Zabreh
Ranked #5 of 18 Hotels in Ostrava
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Zamek Zabreh is a place with spirit and there is probably no better place to visit in a whole region. Everything you can get there is simply great (kitchen, wonderfull accomodation in historical chambers, own mini brewery etc.). If you ever visit Ostrava, make sure to book a historical room with fireplace and experience a great time there.
Even though I live few kilometers from there, its still worth to me to book each year an Africa chamber and spent wonderfull romantic evening there.
Of course, keep in mind that hotel is located in the city so do not expect any beatifull surroundings. But everything else is just perfect.

Room Tip: Africa chamber or any historical room with fireplace.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Josef S
There are newer reviews for Zamek Zabreh

Reviewed 26 June 2012

This is a unique and wonderful place to stay. The historical rooms, we were in Magic, are just amazing. To start with they are huge. The furnishings are unique and go with the theme of the room. The bathroom is equally luxurious. Lighting could have been a bit better by the bedside and a small table there would have been very useful.

Service was gracious. Wifi worked well even though we had been warned that the thick walls - and they are about 3 feet thick in places - might cause problems and we would need a cable. Breakfast was good.

We ate both nights in the pub. There were weddings going on at the restaurant. Food was tasty and well priced.

All in all it was a marvelous weekend. Though we are unlikely to return to Ostrava, we would certainly stay here again if we did.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2012

A fascinating hotel with an interesting history which is detailed in photographs and documents. Very welcoming rooms, the parents had the Hunters' suite and I had a smaller attic type room which was very comfortable and had plenty of character. Superb evening meal. Very nice and helpful staff, even CCTV of the car park if you were worried about your car. We were only passing through and stayed for just one night, I would have liked to have stayed much longer.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2012

My wife and I traveled to Ostrava recently to attend the latest Davis Cup matches between Italy and the Czech Republic, and as we do not really like big, impersonal hotels, we were delighted to find Zámek Zábřeh, only about a 5 minut walk from the ČEZ arena.
We stayed in the romantic Hunter's room, complete with several impressive trophies, a grand fireplace, and a four-poster bed. While it was down to minus 30 celcius, we thought that the room might get cold, but we suspect that the heat of the restaurant and its open fireplace below our room helped to keep the temperature very warm and comfortable.
The only thing we could complain about was the lack of night tables as my wife and I love to read when we get away from it all and there was no place to put our books and no reading light. I know, I know "what a tragedy"... :) Otherwise the room and the rate we paid for it was great.

On to the restaurant...you cannot go wrong having dinner here. The selection, the local fresh ingredients, the presentation and taste, the service were all on par with a restaurant that would normally charge much more. A fantastic dinner for 2 including generous samples of all four of their own beers, several glasses of local wines, appetizers, main course, dessert and digestif cost us only about $80.
We went back the second night for dinner as well, same level of satisfaction thanks to Kamil and his staff who know exactly how to make you feel at home and enjoy yourself. Thanks Kamil for the personal tour of the micro brewery as well!
I caught my wife surfing the internet for upcoming events in Ostrava, and when I asked what she was doing, she told me that she was looking for reasons to go back to Ostrava so that we can stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Mufna74
Reviewed 18 December 2011

I was in Ostrava to visit my son and knew he had stayed there himself and enjoyed it, so we booked in.
It isn't that far out of the main town, so easy to get back for shopping, trams run just up the road. I think in times past it would have been the major landowner in the area, but now it sits in a quiet area , our room overlooked a convent next door, and the church a little further on had a wonderful bell, not obtrusive at all, just comforting.
Our room was an attic room, with the beds on a raised platform, very comfortable matresses, excellent shower room, very well designed and in keeping with the age of the Chateau.
We ate in the dining room and there was no problem at all with me requiring gluten free foods, the chef catered specially for me, even down to making special bread rolls and a cheese filled roll for the breakfasts too. The meal was delicious, so much so I plan on attempting to recreate it at home!
My husband drank the chateau brewed beer, which he said was very like an English beer, but I preferred mine in the shower and hand wash dispensers in the room, the scent is nothing like beer, just a really clean fresh smell.
I can't recommend staying here enough, peaceful despite some traffic, a really nice atmosphere with lots of pictures and even a boar's head on one wall (I had no idea wild boar's were that enormous!). The hotel offers a beer jacuzzi and pampering but we didn't really have time to indulge.
Genuinely friendly staff too I'd say, nothing was too much trouble.
We stayed early December and the main town square was pedestrianised with a market and the scent of mulled wine and food everywhere, it certainly got us into the Christmas mood.
Shame the rating above only goes to 5 stars, for somewhere different to stay it deserves more...

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Henryhorn
Reviewed 6 November 2011

The owner made an unbelievable job on rebuilding a ruin and reviving the old spirit of a medieval castle. My husband and I spent several days here, enjoying the beautifully designed Manor room. The room as well as its bathroom was spacious, full of light, quiet and very comfortable.

The hotel has its own beer brewery with several types of beer. We tasted them all! And they were great. The cuisine of the restaurant was excellent, international and local specials. You will never do a mistake to organize a family or business party over there ( and do it long in advance for the nonsmoking restaurant, it tended to fill up quickly ).

We also enjoyed the beer spa with massage and unlimited beer tasting, which is ( comparing to other similar facilities in the Czech Republic ) spacious, private, relaxing and a lot of fun! The masseur was even able to get rid of my years lasting shoulder soreness, I highly recommend to you to book an extra massage.

Last but not least, the staff was very friendly and made a big effort to make our stay the most comfortable. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jituska1
Reviewed 11 July 2011

After having booked the Romance package at Chateau Zabreh we started to have doubts - why were we going to Ostrava? Will it be as nice as it looks? Is the beer bath just a gimmick? Was it worth the price?

While we can't say much about Ostrava (the Chateau is out of the central area which we never got to - it's in the south-west of the city) our stay at Zamek Zabreh was wonderful. Our room - Renaissance - was beautiful - with high wood beamed ceilings, one of the nicest wood-ceiling beds we've ever enjoyed, wonderful antique furniture, and nice paintings. The entire building was filled with period furniture - extremely well presented. The bathroom was large and bright, with a very large comfortable tub. The only thing missing was a nice view - the windows were large but overlooked what appeared to be a school playground - nothing bad but nothing memorable. In room Internet service was reliable and free parking is available on site.

We booked the Romance package, including a three-course beer or wine themed dinner and a beer or wine bath with massage. For 5,100 Czech Krowns this turned out to be a fantastic package/deal. The dinner was wonderful, duck as an appetizer and pheasant for my main course and a great fresh pasta dish for my wife (a vegetarian), each course accompanied by either beer or wine.

After a nice breakfast the next morning we enjoyed our beer bath (the whole bath is not entirely beer; a few pitchers are added to the water). How cool to be sitting in a bath with a beer tap right by your side - followed by our massages. Perfect.

Brewing was first recorded here in 1574. The Chateau is now the home of the PIKARD microbrewery. In addition to the restaurant, located in the vaults of the oldest part of the chateau, there is a cozy brewpub, and a large outdoor area, where one can enjoy traditional beer brewed on site.

Service was top notch, both at dinner and throughout the reservation process and at reception (thank you so much Zaneta).

If you find yourself in the Ostrava area, particularly on the weekend when you can take advantage of the Romance package and want to treat yourself a bit do yourself a favour and book into Zamek-Zabreh. We are very glad we did.

Room Tip: Perhaps others are as well but the Renaissance room was beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple