Hotel Gdansk Boutique
  • Breakfast included
  • Bar/Lounge
Hanza Hotel(Gdansk)
  • Restaurant
All reviewsmicro brewerytasty beerice caveold townsteam bathfinnish saunanew buildingpremium roomsmall windownice stylenautical themethe rivergreat hotelpolish cuisinerooms are greatfour starthe ground floor
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed at Hotel Gdansk for 3 nights in mid May. I really liked the look and style of the hotel. It's an old granary and is really quite distinctive. The decoration in the room and public spaces is really nice - stylish, slightly edgy but also sympathetic to the buildings history. Our room did have a lovely view of the marina and the old town (there is a slight eyesore in between but I didn't mind that). The location is a short and pleasant walk from the old town too. Breakfast was very nice but not outstanding but there was some lovely fresh fruit and good coffee so I was happy. My only complaints/suggestions would be that there was no kettle/hot drinks facilities on the rooms. Also, although the breakfast staff were really friendly the reception staff were ever so slightly off hand. We wanted to stay an extra night but the hotel was full (obviously not their fault) but when we asked for some suggestions of another hotel we could stay at, they were not very helpful and basically suggested we go into town and look around. Again, not a big deal but could be better. I loved the character and age of the building but with that came creaky floors and we could hear quite loud creaking from upstairs when they walked around their room. Overall, it was a really nice experience but with a few tweaks, it could be even better.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JoFoth
Reviewed 21 May 2013

From its web-site, this harbourside complex (hotel, restaurant and micro-brewery) has much to admire, but there is a gap between image and reality.
The site claims each room has a view of the marina and the old town. Not so. From my second-floor room, the view was of only bricks and glass - the 'yachting' section of the hotel, adjacent to the former granary which forms the main section.
It's the kind of view you might accept at a B&B in Blackpool, but not (without warning) from a four-star boutique hotel.
Likewise the air-con. I guess my Krakow-based tour agency assumed all rooms in a four-star hotel would come with air-con, but again, not so. I had barely dropped my bags in reception, and handed over my passport, than I was being told: "If you pay for an upgrade, your room will have air-con ..." Not really what you expect, when the room was paid for four months earlier. The excuse is that air-con can't be installed in a medieval building, but given that I'd just left a hotel of similar age in Torun, and a Warsaw hotel built before WW1, both of which retro-fitted air-con, I am bemused by this suggestion.
My hat-trick of disappointments was completed by an evening visit to the restaurant, which simply isn't fit for a four-star establishment. Not cheap, by Gdansk standards, but the 'chef' focuses on style not substance, so my beetroot and green leaf salad looked appealing, but without dressing or seasoning, tasted like blotting paper. Pork fillet wrapped in bacon is a classic, but the former had been blitzed in the oven and was dried to the point of dessication, whilst the latter hadn't been given time to release its juices and crisp. When 'grandma's apple pie' came with pieces of paper doilly fastened to its soggy base, I realised that the old dear obviously preferred to buy her pastry, rather than make her own.
Yes, the rooms and public spaces have received a great refurb, the location couldn't be bettered, the breakfast buffet was tasty and comprehensive, and the golden beer brewed on site could have come from Bavaria - as I believe did the owner's wife.
However, whilst not quite a wolf wearing sheepskin, the hotel should take a close look at how it offers/brands its rooms, and to find a real chef, or for me, it will fail to fulfill its significant potential.

Room Tip: Check that your room doesn't look straight across to the 'yachting' half of the hotel, and in the warmer months, that it has air-con.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank IanHalstead
Reviewed 13 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 6 May 2013

A combination of old building for the restaurant and bar and new building for accommodation but a perfect blend of old and new in style and atmosphere.
The double room was well furnished with comfortable beds and ensuite bathroom with all the usual facilities (hair drier, shampoo/conditioner, skin cream). Our room had a bath with a shower but it was quite slippery using the shower when standing in the bath and not easily accessed as the bath side was high and made it not easy for (old) people to climb into.
The bed was very comfortable and the decor modern yachting. TV, minibar, safe and WiFi. Only one chair to sit in and no water cooker for making early morning/late night tea or coffee.
The buffet breakfast was an excellent start to the day with a good choice of cold and hot dishes, including omelettes made to order. One morning there was a big problem with the coffee machine and it was strange that such a central part of the breakfast was unsatisfactory and resulted in constant queueing. The same morning there were no coffee cups so this compounded the coffee problem. Having said that, the coffee when available tasted excellent!
The hotel was perfectly located just a 10 minute walk away from the main tourist street and an alternative was a small ferry from the museum at the right of the hotel taking passengers the 2 minutes across the river to the "tourist" side.
The bar in the ground floor was an excellent place to eat a meal in the evening but was very popular with the locals so a reservation could be worthwhile. The bar was reportedly the best in Gdansk and the microbrewery beer (I liked the black beer best) was delicious and red wine was excellent and reasonably priced. The food looked great ( I chose fish) and was artistically placed on the plate but the taste was a big let down. However the bar ambiance and beer made up for the food so we spent a couple of evenings in the bar (there was closed circuit TV showing the football) so we got our entertainment watching TV and the locals.
Apart from a few minor issues we were happy to have chosen Hotel Gdansk and would stay there again on a future visit to the magnificent city of Gdansk.

Room Tip: It was very quiet at the hotel and even with the window open there was no noise to disturb our sleep. But ask for 2 chairs!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2013

When checking in, we were made aware of the fact that there has been some kind of double booking. As a result, we were given a large apartment with an excellent view, as a replacement for our booked room. A very nice gesture!

Their "home made" beer was good and the breakfast had all the regular stuff, but I liked the selection of fresh fruit a lot.

All in all a very good experience

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple