“Noisy hotel and a small, very small bed”
Review of Hotel Artus

Hotel Artus
Ranked #29 of 84 Hotels in Gdansk
Groningen, The Netherlands
“Noisy hotel and a small, very small bed”
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Yes, you are right in the historic center of Gdansk, which is the biggest plus for this hotel. For the rest, there are only disadvantages. No air conditioning, so in the summer one has to open the windows. Noise, lots of noise from the street, the bars, terraces etc. Not good for one's sleep. My room (#306) was small, and my bed was the smallest I have ever slept in, mind you I'm 1.93 meters. The room was clean, as was the bathroom. On the breakfast I can be very positive. The best advice for staying in this hotel is: take earplugs along.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Artus for a mid week break with my friend Anne,the hotel and rooms were clean,however our room was not cleaned on a daily basis and we had to ask for clean towels,
The staff at reception are very friendly and helpful.The hotel is in a good position but we found it very noisy also no air con and it was hot so had to sleep with the windows open.
No tea or coffee facilities and no toiletries in bathroom,
Breakfast was fine,dont think we would go back to Gdansk we prefer Krakow not polish enough for us,We spent our days in Sopot and the zoo .

Room Tip: we had a room at the back and it was noisy
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Warner, New Hampshire
Reviewed 29 July 2013

We really enjoyed this hotel on our recent trip to Gdansk. The location wa fantastic-walking distance to Dlugi Targ and the old city, all the restaurants and tourist things to do in the old city. Our room was very clean and well appointed. It was fairly quiet as our room faced the courtyard and the town hall. Breakfast was very good, with plenty of food and coffee. They serve a very traditional Polish style breakfast that many might not be used to if traveling from a western country. My advice is to try everything because you will find something you like. It was nice to sit outside across from the church in the morning and drink our coffee! The front desk staff was the best I have encountered anywhere in Europe. They helped us store our baggage before our check-in time so we could go about the city, and called a cab for us when time to leave. Overall very helpful and friendly staff. Most of the staff will speak in 2 or 3 languages if your Polish language is a little rusty.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Haugesund
Reviewed 27 July 2013

The appearance of this hotel really had me looking forward to my trip, the price seemed reasonable and location was good. After reading reviews, I took my life in my hands & booked. Well, it certainly is right in the main part of the old town & all the `atmosphere` that goes along with that. Mon Balzac restaurant downstairs that is owned by the hotel is open till 12 midnight, The area across from the hotel with all the nice umbrellas? That`s owned by this hotel too That`s open till 12 too .Difficult to complain when they make life miserable for their own guests by staying open so late. With no air con. in the rooms you definitely need ear plugs cos if you have the windows open you`ll be awake long after 12 . Ok, got ear plugs?
Wait, it gets worse. At 7 am, I kid you not, 7 am the music playing in the street outside starts, a mix of classical with some Clarinet. Reminiscent of the òld days` with constant announcement and messages over tannoys it hit me how far these guys still have to go with regard to customer consideration.
And finally, I`d like to make a special mention for the night guard who scowled and stared his way through my 5 night stay. Never a word was uttered whenever I saw him. Come to think of it the receptionist wasn`t much better. Unfriendly? Mmmm you may think so. Normal for this hotel!
Oooh, nearly forgot, no iron or coffee making facilities in the room.

Room Tip: Difficult to say, noise or cooking smells. You choose.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank MaxHaugesund
Wishaw, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The room was exactly as shown in the picture. It was spotless and unlike some of the other reviews our room was cleaned every day and fresh towels supplied. Breakfast was not wholly to my taste but I still managed to have something each morning. The bar was lovely to eat in and sit in at night with a drink. The staff are mostly young and most of them speak good English and that helped.

The location of the hotel is central and great.

The only downside of the hotel is the fact that it does not have air conditioning. I had the windows opened at night and the noise outside could be rather loud. There are a couple of bars outside, one being a student bar and a lot of youngsters gathered at night and could be quite loud. Personally I didnt bother me as I am not a light sleeper but it sometimes disturbed my friend.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank trezmcghee
Devon
Reviewed 14 June 2013

This hotel was perfect. Right in the centre of the main town the location couldn't be better, we could see the river through an archway from our room, too. The rooms were lovely: clean, comfy and modern. And the hotel staff couldn't do enough to help, one poor receptionist was tasked with phoning every taxi company in the city to find our lost property - and she succeeded, with a smile!

The bar downstairs was lovely, great atmosphere, great cocktails and tasty food - we recommend the meat fondue! The hotel breakfast is served here too, but if you just pop in, you can choose a hot breakfast from the menu and it works out cheaper than the standard hotel buffet. It's also served til 12 rather than 10am.

The only thing I'd change is a kettle in the bedroom - I missed my tea! ;-)

Room Tip: You may not want to be directly over the bar, but we didn't find it too noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Stanley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Hotel Artus is conveniently centrally located with clean rooms which are pleasantly decorated. Breakfast in the restaurant was nothing special but perfectly adequate, with a choice of two cereals, a hot and cold selection with nice breads and tea and coffee.

Room service was not every day as I would have expected and at night the rooms suffered occasionally from some street noise which could affect light sleepers, especially if the windows were left open. They certainly would need to be in the summer as there was no air conditioning.

Please note that the hotel booking policy is not customer friendly in that it does not allow changes or cancellations once booked. This was a bit of a problem for me as just a few days after booking my airline, Wizz, cancelled my return flight so I had to make new arrangements. Fortunately though the hotel did agree to change my dates but gave no refund for the reduced cost of the new dates.
Could easily be a lot better if by taking my comments into account they became more customer friendly.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends