Museum of Archeology (Muzeum Archeologiczne w Gdansku)
Ranked #68 of 178 things to do in Gdansk
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Very nice, I like different places history and archeology. gdansk is very interesting, historical and fatal place in Europe history.

1  Thank Raimonds R
"wwii"
"history"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Situated next to neptune's fountain and along the short cobbled street from st Mary church. It dominates the Main Street and is very imposing. It was completely destroyed in world war 2 but gas been lovingly restored and now shows the glories of medieval times exhibiting 5 centuries of exhibits

1  Thank Heulwen9
Reviewed 22 May 2014

We visited the European Night of the Museums when all participating museums are free and are open in the evening from 7pm to 1am.The turnout was impressive, mainly young people, keen to learn about their history. There are no audio-guides but the majority of exhibits have well written and informative English as well as Polish captions. The layout is chronological and the over-all presentation is modern. Staff were very helpful and friendly. The panoramic view from the tower is worth the price of admission even for those visitors who generally avoid these kinds of museums. Along with the gargoyles, this is ul. Mariacka's most fascinating attraction.

1  Thank Connoisseur-of-Life
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I was kind of dragged to this museum. I was more interested in the museums on Dlugi Targ, and was only gonna visit this one, after I saw everything I wanted to, and had time to kill, but we happened to walk by it, so I thought I'd check it out, and I'm glad I did.

First off, I will begin by saying, I was expecting to see exhibits from other countries, and only one from Poland. There was only one exhibit from Sudan, which wasn't even labeled fully, and the rest were all exhibits from the Pomerania region. I thought it was interesting. It had the same things you find in other archaeological museums; skeletons, bones, jewelry, pottery, tools, coins, boats, ect., but what made this one unique is that it was specific to the Pomerania region. Not knowing anything about Polish history before the 13th century, I found this museum to be very interesting and informative. An entire museum devoted to Pomeranian history. They even had rubble from WWII.
I pretty much enjoyed every exhibit. That rarely happends. One bad thing though was, that some of the exhibits weren't labeled properly, so I had no idea what I was looking at. Some were in English and Polish, but there were some that were only in Polish, which I speak, but have a hard time reading.
Another huge plus is that you're allowed to film and photograph everything, and you don't have to pay extra. The staff still likes to watch you and follow you though, as is common in European museums. We had a lady follow us, up the stairs, but it's not that bad, because they can give you infromation about the exhibits. I just don't like being watched like a criminal.
The museum has 3 floors, so you can get some nice views of the Motlawa.
Museum is open 10-5 during the summer, and is closed on Monday.
This museum wasn't high on my list, but I'm glad I popped in, because it turned out to the most interesting one. If you only have time to visit one museum, visit this one. It has all of the city's history, in one place. I was only dissapointed that there weren't more exhibits. Take me to a with medieval history, and I'll beg you to hurry up, but this, I can do. If we had more time, I could've stayed in there all day. Deffinately recomend it. Allow yourself at least 1.5 hours, if you want to explore it thoroughly.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

So...it is worth visiting the museum. Liked the fact that it put in context those numerous small houses with many floors Also provides information about the major reconstruction Poland had to go through. Worth 1,5 hours. Well located near every other things to check.