“Great hostel, great location”

La Guitarra Hostel Gdansk
Ranked #10 of 193 Speciality Lodging in Gdansk
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Great hostel, great location”
Reviewed 19 July 2013 via mobile

Found the hostel at ease walking from gdansk głowny train station (about 15 mins walk).
Receptionist opened door via intercom system. Checked in and then she even shown us to our room and how the key card was operated. Paid 5zł for a towel but this was my fault for not packing one, but hey! Didn't break the bank as only a pound. Rooms clean and each room based on a theme from rock bands/stars. Ours being "slash"!!!
Great location set just off the motława river and walking distance to all main bars and attractions.
Couldn't fault this gem of a hostel.

• Stayed July 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle
Reviewed 21 June 2013

I stayed in la Guitarra as a group of 4, all sharing one room. 2 bunk beds which were very comfortable and a very large comfy pillow. There were 2 toilets and 3 showers on our floor, and each of us had an electronic locker in our rooms. The door was also opened via electronic lock/ card. It is just steps away from the river and a short walk along to the river front and attractions. breakfast facilities were good, with a big common room and even musical instruments if you fancy a jam. I agree the owner does seem uninterested, but he still said hello to us everyday as we left and entered the hostel, unless you plan on spending a lot of time with him then I don't see that being an issue.

Great value for money, based on 4 sharing.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
London
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The 1EUR promotion is a scam. During the booking process, the hostel location (Gdansk or Poznan) is not visible on the screen. I booked online for Gdansk but the e-mail confirmation stated the booking was for Poznan. I immediately emailed both hostels to say the booking confirmation was incorrect but they did not reply. When I arrived at the Gdansk hostel, I explained this to the receptionist who rang Poznan to cancel the booking. But needless to say, they have charged the full 50PLN to my credit card (“no show”). I do not recommend this hostel - there are plenty of others.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank DerryLondon
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2013

I was unable to make my trip to Gdansk due to a delayed uk visa. This was therefore out of my control. I contacted the hostel to cancel. I had booked the 1 euro deal for one night and the second night was full price.

When I cancelled I was informed there was no alteration possible for the cheap room. Fair enough, I had made a mistake and not read the small print. The hostel has charged me full price for both nights.

Unless you definitely can make this hostel DO NOT book their special. If I had booked through hostelworld or hostelbookers I would have lost only £2. Instead it was £20. I am contacting the hostel now trying to get reimbursement for the second night as it did not have the same rules and was actually a more expensive room than others available,

Be careful.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank ajk1212
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Great location and price, think it worked out at 4GBP per night. Excellent levels of cleanliness throughout the property, comfy dorm beds and close proximity to the centre of town. Communal area downstairs had a nice touch of having guitars and a piano for guests to play and a large flat screen TV with decent sofas. However was extremely quiet during our stay which depending on what your purpose of travel could be a good or a bad thing, if your looking to meet other guests may not be the idel place. Nothing exceptional about the property but certainly fulfils a purpose for getting your head down after a heavy night.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 11 March 2013

This is by no means 'the worst hostel I've ever stayed in' or anything like that; indeed the facilities are fairly good and it's quite well located. I just can't get over the staff. They really got to me, and I just spent TEN months backpacking around Europe quite happily. The reason you can do this and not go insane is that the standard of hostel service these days is really high, and I'm sorry to say these guys do not deliver.

I arrived at midday at the hostel having slept in an airport the night before, and was told I"d have to pay 20 zloty to just sit in the common area for 2 hours until check in, I was unimpressed. I did not want to 'check in early' and use the bed or bathroom- merely to hang around the hostel, as I was tired, and have done this in many other hostels. In any case, the man who I assume is the manager was extremely rude and aggressive about it, so I chose to go out for 2 hours, wishing I had not already pre-booked, as I would have gone somewhere else. He was also extremely rude upon my check in, never offering any advice or suggestions about the town. I did not feel comfortable to approach him to ask about buses, trains to the next place I was going, etc. I also found it annoying that the girl came in to clean the room at 9 am on the day of my check out- which is not until 11. What's the point of saying you clean the hostel between 11 and 2 if you're going to send staff in at 9 to disturb the remaining customers anyway? The morning of my check out there was a younger guy on the desk, who was slightly more friendly but equally unwilling to help. When I asked on advice for going to Torun, he actually said to me "don't you know a website where you can look it up?" I mean, how ridiculous that I would elicit advice from a Polish person about transport in Poland.

In short, yes it's clean and comfortable, but other travellers have told me there are hostels in Gdansk with much nicer staff. I felt uncomfortable here. It's like an ironic joke that they apparently won a hostelbookers award for 'best staff.'

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Kim S
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The La Guitarra is a nice place to stay in Gdańsk. I use to overnight there when my favourite hostel is booked out. The rooms are ok and the showers are really good. I don't like that they charge extra for using towels and there are normally no towels in the bathrooms even if you just want to dry your hands. The common room is the kitchen at the same time, so sometimes it's annoying to sit there while someone is cooking. A nice point of the common room is that there are instruments to play like a piano and a guitar. That's pretty unique for a hostel. The receptionists are always very friendly, even though once there was a girl who had some problems with speaking English and I needed about 5 minutes to explain her that I wanted to rent a towel (see above).

But all in all this hostel is a good inexpensive option for staying overnight. There's nothing wrong with booking this hostel - you will be able to get to the old town and other attractions of the city in no time and you'll still have some budget left if you choose the La Guitarra.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends