“Disappointing experience - not 4 ****. Problems go unrectified.”
Review of Q Hotel Grand Cru

Q Hotel Grand Cru
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Gdansk
Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Grand Cru for two nights in June 2013. I was given room 301, which turned out to have several problems.

1) The air conditioning/heating unit did not seems to work and the room was very warm - it was 25° (77F) when I visited and I wanted some air circulation.

2) Many of the television stations did not work and displayed the message "Odbieranie danych - Brak sygnalu!" which Google advises me means "Receiving channel - no signal!"

3) The arm of the desk chair was very loose and made it uncomfortable to use as it constantly wiggled around when you were seated in it. All it needed was someone with a screw driver to tighten up the fittings - a simple task, you would think.

I reported these problems when I got in from dinner on Thursday evening and a bell boy was sent to the room. He tried the air conditioning unit and said he could feel some air movement but that it was "very weak". I will have to take his word for it as the vent was too high for me to reach. There was nothing he could really do about these problems, but he did provide me with a freestanding fan to help cool the room and advised that the problems would be looked into the following day (Friday).

In the morning, I wrote a list of problems with the room and handed it is to the reception where there were two staff and a man who seemed to be the manager. I asked if they could please rectify the problems while I was out for they day and I was told again it would be looked into.

I came back to the hotel around 3PM to drop off some things and found that nothing had been done in the room. None of the deficiencies had been addressed and in fact, the maid service had not even arrived.

I asked again at reception on the way out and was told (again) that it would be looked into, but by this point I was no optimistic that anything would be done.

When I arrived back in the evening, the room had been made up, but the air conditioning/heating system still did not work, the TV did not work and the chair was not repaired. As it was late, I resigned myself to another night without the room's problems being addressed.

I was very unhappy with this and I asked again in the morning why none of the problems had been rectified. The excuse was that the person who did these repairs was not available. I can't understand why there was no building maintenance staff on a Thursday or Friday, but that is a question for the management of Hotel Grand Cru.

I don't run a 4**** hotel, but it seems to be if your guest is unhappy about deficiencies in their room, you either find someone to fix those deficiencies or you switch them to a different room, not just ignore your guest's concerns.

The room itself was, aside from the problems described, OK. When I arrived, I had a room with two single beds and I asked if I could be switched to a room with one double bed. I was told that was not possible, but that the chambermaids could put the two singles together to make a larger bed. When they arrived, they moved a bedside table and simply pushed the two beds together. It was not remade as one bed. and as a consequence was not particularly comfortable as the beds moved apart in the night.

The room is decorated in a "modern" style with exposed brick and a frosted glass panel lit from behind. It was generally clean, although the carpet in my room was stained with a spray of something (red wine?) at the foot of the bed. I also could not get the bedside reading lights to work and it turned out that there was a master switch that controlled them both, as well as individual switches on each lamp. This was the one problem I asked about that was rectified - showing me the master switch!

The room has a desk and work area with free wi-fi which marred by the previously mentioned problems with the chair. The wi-fi worked pretty well, but their router appeared to be down on Friday morning as my connection was abruptly dropped and my web browser reported DNS errors. It was working again in the evening.

The bathroom was nice with a "rainfall" style shower head. There are no toiletries on offer - just a squeeze bottle of generic hair/body wash mounted on the wall which was very difficult to use as it was more than half empty and difficult to squeeze from as it was wall mounted. Luckily, I had some soap from another hotel with me.

There is a small fitness centre on the ground floor. When I looked at it, the treadmill was out of order and appeared to have been so for some time, as there was a laminated sign advising guests not to use it. The fitness centre also has a small sauna and shower.

In terms of location, the hotel in at the end of town, close to but not on the river front. It is an unprepossessing looking modern brick building, opposite a field at the dead end of the street. When I stayed, it was adjacent to a large riverside construction site.

It is a few hundred yards, but worlds away from the vastly superior Hilton where my traveling companion was staying.

When I checked in, I was asked for a credit card despite the fact that the room was prepaid. A charge of 200PLN was placed on my card, to be refunded at check-out, minus any incidental charges e.g. mini-bar etc. I have never encountered this before; take a credit card impression to cover any incidentals, yes. But make a charge and then refund it? No.

On my last day, I asked about a late check out. I wanted to be able to come back after lunch and shower before heading to the airport. The desk clerk advised that there would be a charge of 100PLN for a late check out, but that she would check if the manager would waive the fee in light of the poor quality of my stay. When I returned to prepare to go to the airport, I was advised that the manager had decided that I should pay for my late check out, despite the poor performance of the hotel during my short stay. So, only 95.80PLN of my 200PLN was refunded - 100PLN for late check out and 4.20PLN "lock out" (city) tax which apparently, was not included in the quoted price.

I did feel that the charge should have been waived, but it appears that profit not guest satisfaction is what matters to Hotel Grand Cru. I don't like to write negatives reviews and I read the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking and decided to give the Hotel Grand Cru a chance despite it mixed reviews. I now wish I hadn't, as the poor service here marred an otherwise wonderful trip to Gdansk.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 301!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank EFILWOL
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

At first, we would like to thank you for visiting the Grand Cru Hotel and taking time to write this review. Your opinion is both very detailed and concrete, that is why we would like to respond to all the allegations that have been raised in your statement one by one. Before this, we need to emphasize that we are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the standard of given service and we do respect your point of view. You can be sure that each element of your complaint has been taken very seriously and deeply analyzed. Following statements should be treated as complement of themes raised in the review that you and all the readers of tripadvisor.com deserve for and not as weak trial of explaining ourselves. We do hope that at least in some part our information will clarify the details and show the full view of particular issues.

1. Air – conditioning. In the rooms on higher floors, sometimes it happens that on sunny days temperature is a bit higher than on lower levels. We understand that for those more “temperature sensitive” guests it may be inconvenient. If the guest informs us about his/her preferences before the arrival, we always try to give them the room reflecting their expectations or change the room if the issue arises during the stay (and the hotel has available room on the lower floor). Trying to reduce the inconvenience you felt, our porter placed in your room the additional electric fan. We are truly sorry if this solution seemed insufficient for you.

2. TV channels. Hotel TV sets in the hotel rooms have 30 channels (in polish and foreign languages). They are all listed in the guest directory that is placed in each hotel room. Such statement “Receiving channel – no signal” indeed appears on the higher channels – 31, 32, 33, … We are truly sorry if you felt misled in any way or felt that the offer of 30 channels is inadequate.

3. Desk chair. All desk chairs in our rooms have a component that enables to lay the back so that each guest can individually adjust it to his/her comfort. There was no need to use the screw driver in this case, however, your remark concerning this issue is very valuable for us. Till know we were not aware that handling the chair may be not so simple for our guests.

4. Type of the room. If a guest makes a reservation of a single – as you did - room and is not satisfied with the size of one twin bed, we always try to change the room for such with a king size bed. However, during your stay it was impossible, since there were no free rooms of this type. In this situation the only thing that we could offer was to put together two twin beds. We are very sorry to hear that this solution did not satisfy you.

5. Bed lights. In twin double rooms there are “master switches” next to the night tables that control the switches which are on the bed lights. Because, the beds in your room were put together, reaching the “master switch” could have caused some problems. We are deeply sorry that you had some troubles with reading.

6. Wi-fi. During your stay there were no works and other guests did not report this problem. That is why it is hard for us to relate to this.

7. Toiletries. Thank you for raising this topic. In our hotel we have ecological cosmetics, certificated with the EU’s eco-label and they are made by reputable company – Ada Cosmetics. These pure and safe natural products of premium quality confirm the high degree of tolerability for man and environment. We have selected them very carefully bearing in mind the best interest of our guests. There are also cosmetic pads and cotton buds. At the reception we have also some additional toiletries such as toothbrush and toothpaste, razor or sticker. It is a shame that you didn’t let the reception know if you needed anything else from the toiletries so that we could offer you them.

8. Treadmill in the fitness room. To ensure the safety to our guests, we do regularly reviews of our exercise equipment. It was high time we did some maintenance with this machine. That is why it was out of usage for couple days. We do hope that you were able to work out with the other devices we have in our fitness room.

9. Preauthorization – a normal our procedure, is to make a pre-authorization on credit card during check in upon any services that our guest would like to receive. The money are only blocked on credit card. There must have occurred a misunderstanding, since we did not charge you during check in.

10. Payment for late check-out. If the guest wishes to stay a bit longer than noon and the room is not reserved on the following day, we always agree. However, if there are any later check – outs, that generate additional costs with the room-service works, we ask our guest to make some additional payment. Guest can decide if he/she wants to accept the offer. There is always possibility to leave the luggage after checking-out at the reception and this is always free of charge.

11. Local taxes. Each hotel is obliged to charge their guest for the local tax. We inform about it on our website, the on-line reservation channels and at the reception as well. The amount of the payment is established by the local government and we have no influence on it.

Ending our statement, we would like to emphasize that we did all our best to solve all the issues you listed on the sheet of paper you mentioned in you comment. That is why the manager of the hotel, on the same day when we received your complaints, personally went to your room to check if the devices work in order. We are very sorry if you felt badly treated or ignored in any way.
Thank you once again for taking time to write your review.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Great location and quiet. One of the few hotels we have been in that had a full size mattress. The shower was another issue. Water ran everywhere. For a modern style hotel something was lost in the design or the installation. We used all our towels to mop up the water in the bedroom portion of the room after our morning shower.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Thank you very much for visiting Grand Cru Hotel and sharing your experience after your stay with other users of tripadvisor.com. We do appreciate feedback given from our guests, because it shows us which assets are greatly valued and where should we improve. Thank you for assigning the highest rates according to the standard of given service, cleanliness and the location of our hotel as well as your remark concerning the ‘shower case’. We assure that we have already faced the problem and done all we could to solve it so that next time you visit us you don’t have to deal with the mopping up. Thank you once again for taking time to write this review. We hope that you will come back to Gdańsk soon and decide to visit us again. Feel very welcome!

Reviewed 1 June 2013

Read mixed reviews of this place before making the booking. Surrounding area still being developed but this makes no difference to what is on offer. Friendly, helpful staff. Lovely hotel, spacious rooms with modern decor. Very clean. I have nothing negative to say. Near the river and Old Town. Very pleased with choice.

• Stayed: May 2013
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2013

Thank you very much for visiting Grand Cru Hotel and recommending it to other users of tripadvisor.com. Thank you for revealing all the assets of our property. We are delighted to hear that your experience was so positive. We do hope that you will soon come back to Gdańsk and visit us again.

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Nice hotel with very friendly and professional staff, clean and good size rooms, excellent breakfast. Wine bare has a good selection. Location is very close to old town Gdansk. Good restaurants directly at the water front near the hotel. And visit the archeological museum next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for visiting us and recommending Grand Cru Hotel to other users of tripadvisor.com. Receiving such positive feedback from the guests is the biggest reward for us. We are delighted to hear that your overall impression after your stay was so good. We do hope that you will come back to Gdańsk and will give us a pleasure to host you again. We are looking forward to it!

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Very nice hotel in a historic building. Tastefully re-modeled rooms. I asked for a room with large windows and they were kind enough to give one with a balcony. It was spacious room on the top floor, very cozy with a slanted ceiling. Very comfortable bed and a trendy bathroom. All was great until I went to bed. It was impossible to sleep. There was a terrible and constant hum of a machine. I later discovered that right above my room there were the ventilation chimneys (or air conditioning). My colleagues staying on the upper floor complained about the same thing. One of them said she used earplugs. The staff was nice enough to change my room. I had to settle for small windows but at least was able to have a peaceful sleep. Overall , the hotel is very nice and comfortable. The staff is very kind, attentive and very efficient. But if you are going to stay in the top floor with a balcony, better ask the hotel if they fixed the sound problem.

Room Tip: do not choose a room at the top floor unless the hotel has done something about the ventilation nois...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2013

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel and your opinion. We are delighted to hear that you were satisfied with the overall provided services, especially concerning our personnel. Rest assured that your compliments have gladly been shared with the entire team.
Thank you also for your tip given to other users of tripadvisor.com that plan to visit us. The well-being and peaceful sleep of our guests are the most important to us and that is why we always try to change the room, if the guest feel any inconvenience in the primarily given room.
We hope that in the near future you will come back to Gdańsk and visit us again. Feel very welcome!

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We spent one night here in late April '13.

We have to admit that when walking to the Hotel (15 min walk from the Railway Station) we were beginning to wonder what we had let ourselves in for as one passes a couple of hostels and one seems to be heading out of the "old town" and into no mans land ! From the outside the hotel is nothing special at all - reasonably plain - lots of brick (Which is in keeping with the sourrounding area).

Inside it is a very different story - the reception area is very contemporary - stylish and very well laid out. Reception is efficient and friendly with excellent English. Lots of usefull tourist handouts and maps on hand.

The room was very plush - a very high standard of fittings and decor. Bed is exceptionally comfortable - there is a kettle, fridge etc etc all the usual bits n bobs. Bathroom is a dark grey slate "wet room" design and the shower is fantastic - lots of water and the temperature easily controlled - absolute bliss. The free wifi works very well - one password works all devices.

Breakfast was beautifully presented by friendly attentive staff. Wide range of food in a restauraunt area which is gorgeously decked out - very much a wine vault theme and it gives a wonderfull ambiance. Food was tasty and plentifull.

All in all hard to fault - thoroughly enjoyed our short stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Thank you so much for visiting us and such detailed and positive opinion. It is great that your first doubts have been dispelled when you came into the hotel. Thank you for your kind words towards our interior design, in-room amenities, breakfast, restaurant’s cuisine and especially our service. Receiving this kind of feedback from our guests is the biggest reward for us. We hope that you will soon come back to Gdańsk and visit us again. You are always very welcome!

Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Grand Cru Hotel over the last weekend and I was very pleased with the high standards of the hotel itself and with the service. I had dinner in the restaurant on one of the evenings and would recommend it for quality, service and value. My waiter was great and I would not have known it was his first night if he had not told me - good job!

The hotel is just round the corner from the waterfront and a number of the highly rated restaurants on TA are right there. The taxi ride from the main station takes about 5 mins or 15 mins to walk. If you feel like a beer on the way back to the hotel - then try Degustatornia which is just a few steps away. It has more than 100 beers on offer!

Would definitely stay at the Grand Cru if I visit Gdansk again.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you very much for your visit, this great opinion and recommendations. We are very pleased to hear that the hotel location, standard of given service reflected your expectations and overall impression was so positive. We hope that in the near time you will come back to Gdańsk and visit us again. Feel always very welcome!