“Value for money”
Review of Q Hotel Grand Cru

Q Hotel Grand Cru
Ranked #10 of 85 Hotels in Gdansk
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I stayed with five friends at the GrandCru in Gdanskin July this year and we had a lovely time celebrating a friends 50th birthday. We were made very welcome. We did have a problem with the aircon but the manager and staff were very quick to resolve our problems. The food was very good including all the sugestions Sebastian on the front desk recomended. Every recomendation was excelent including the beauty salon he recomended. We were very impressed with his knowledge and to his comitment to making sure all our needs were meet on this holiday. The manager also cjhecked we were enjoying out stay and i will recomend this hotel to all my friends and clients as i work as a hairstylist.
Many thanks again.
Kind Regards
Jacinta Bourke

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Dear Jacinta, thank you so much for choosing Grand Cru Hotel for this special celebrations! We are so happy to know that your impression and memories after your stay were so positive. It was our great pleasure to respond to all your needs. Please, stay assure that we will share your feedback with all our team. Thank you very much for showing to other users of tripadvisor.com all our assets and in advance, thank you for your recommendations. If you ever decide to visit Gdańsk again, we really do hope that you will give us an opportunity to welcome you again. Thank you for your time to write this comment.

Reviewed 19 July 2013

Hotel meets all expectations and front line staff Ania and Macak are exceptional and do whatever to make your stay pleasant. Excellent location to Old Town. Breakfast was outstanding with its wide selection of fresh fruit and cereals. Treat yourself to dinner in house one night - guaranteed satisfaction! Our room was clean and nicely appointed. The only minor complaint was the difficulty with the in room A/C to cool the room for a pleasant sleep. Will return again Oct - Nov and plan to stay at the Grand Cru

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2013

Thank you for staying in the Grand Cru Hotel and being so nice to share your positive thoughts after your visit with those who consider choosing our property for they place of accommodation in Gdańsk. We are delighted to hear that our employees – Ania and Maciek made your stay more pleasant and that you liked your room, breakfasts and you found the hotel location convenient. We are even more happy knowing that you already plan to visit us again in October – November. We are already looking forward to welcoming you again. Thank you once more for taking time to write this review.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

We spend 3 nights in July 2013 at the hotel Gran Cru. It could have been a perfect stay…excellent location, appealing design etc. But unfortunately the hotel management was a) not able to avoid that we were molested by a drunk group of British people who where guests at the hotel at the same time and b) was not able to solve this problem in a customer-orientated, professional and satisfying way. During the first night at 3:00 am we had these drunken people in front of our room, bawling and bouncing heavily against our door. The next morning we asked at the reception for a solution to avoid that this will happen again during the following night. We were offered a room on the 4. Floor (the only floor where the male group had no room). Instead of a Standard Double Room we had before this new room was only a Standard Single Room with a smaller bed, a much smaller bathroom, no mini bar, one chair instead of two etc. All this would have been fine for us, if the management had agreed on reducing the room rate respectively to the lower standard. But by contrast: The management wanted to make us believe that the two rooms were equally. After lots of discussions the only compensation the obviously incompetent management stoop to was a breakfast for ONE single morning (we had at least expected to get breakfast for the two remaining mornings). Professional customer orientation looks different. Next time in Gdansk we will definitely choose the nearby HILTON (this hopefully deserves its stars).

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank snoeffy
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Thank you very much for visiting our hotel and spending time to write this detailed opinion. Our greatest concern is the well-being of our guests and we are very sorry if any of them feel that the standard of given service was insufficient. To respond to your remark concerning bad behaviour of the group of British people, for your second and third night, we offered you Standard Double Room, which was on the fourth floor. Due to the structure of the building, we have both bigger and smaller rooms, which are the same standard. The room that you had on the first night is one of those bigger rooms and it has wider bad. Because you may have felt some loss because of this change, we gave you one free breakfast. We are very sorry to hear that you felt that it was not the professional service. We do hope that during your visit you also found positive sides and that your overall experience of the visit in Gdańsk will be positive. Thank you once again for taking time to write this review.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Great hotel. Located in the tourist center just off the river. The hotel, in an historical building, recently has been refurbished. The rooms are nice, spacious and very clean. Breakfast was outstanding and the staff very helpful. Great value. They have a good sauna too. Lobby is new and trendy as is the breakfast room. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms on the back side seem to have smaller windows then others, but all the rooms seeme...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2013

Thank you Tony for your visit and this great opinion! We are really happy to read that you enjoyed spending time in Grand Cru Hotel and you specially liked the breakfast. Thank you for assigning the highest overall rate and notes concerning particular elements and for sharing your positive experience with other users of tripadvisor.com. We hope, that despite the long distance between New York and Gdańsk, you will visit us again. You are always very welcome!

Reviewed 7 July 2013

This was one of those when I first walked in and thought I'd make a bad choice. I tend to like hotels with character, and when I first checked in it felt very modern, sterile kind of place. But after two days there I had come to like it. The staff is terrific - every single one of them. And my room was very pleasant, with a very modern, chic look to it. The location, of course, is perfect. You're a 2-minute walk to the river at the edge of Old Town, so you're a 5-minute walk to all the cafes, bars, and restaurants of the amazing Gdansk Old Town. Some people might prefer being in one of the hotels that's actually in the hustle and bustle of Old Town, but being on a quiet corner five minutes away worked great for me.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2013

Thank you very much for visiting Grand Cru Hotel and being so nice to take time to write this review. We have to admit that your first sentence worried us a bit. The idea of our interior designer was to create a place that combines the medieval character of Gdańsk with contemporary architectural thought. It is a shame that you didn’t enjoy it from the first sight, however, we are very happy that this initial, not very good, impression soon changed and you finally found the interiors appealing. Thank you for showing to other users of tripadvisor.com the advantages of the hotel location and revealing other our assets. We hope that despite the long distance between the place you live and our hotel, you will decide to visit us again. We are looking forward to it!

Reviewed 1 July 2013

This is a good quality designer hotel located just a stone's throw from the lovely Old Town.
My room was large, well equipped and well maintained. The free WiFi had a strong signal and did not require regular logins. I could not find a safe though. The bed was superbly comfortable.
There was lots of sophisticated lighting but little natural light due to the original design of the building.
Breakfast was of a high quality and with a big choice of hot and cold food, but a bit expensive unless one had a big appetite.
As others have noted the hotel is located amongst varied businesses, not all as up market as the Grand Cru. This did not detract at all from my experience.
Several museums are free on Mondays, but only until 1pm. However many are close together and can be explored fully quite quickly.
I travelled to the airport by public transport. Bus 210 stops the opposite side of the road to the main railway station and takes about 36 minutes at a cost of 3PLN. The bus stop is about 20 minutes easy walking from the hotel.
There was a lot of tourist information in the lobby including the excellent In Your Pocket Guide. These guides are often better than paid for guide books and are freely downloadable in case a paper copy isn't available when you arrive.

Room Tip: Some rooms may enjoy better natural light....
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you very much for visiting Grand Cru Hotel and writing this detailed opinion, which certainly will be very helpful for other travelers, that plan to visit Gdańsk and our hotel. We are very happy to read that you evaluated our property as good quality hotel and you found the in-room amenities satisfying. The safes in our rooms are in the wardrobes. Shame you didn’t call the reception, they would have told you about it. On the behalf of our future guests, thank you for all the valuable tips concerning the transport from the airport to the hotel as well as the information about the guide.
We hope that it wasn’t your last visit in Gdańsk and Grand Cru Hotel. Hopefully, we will have an opportunity to welcome you again real soon. We are looking forward to it!

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I stayed at the Hotel Grand Cru for two nights in June 2013. I was given room 301, which turned out to have several problems.

1) The air conditioning/heating unit did not seems to work and the room was very warm - it was 25° (77F) when I visited and I wanted some air circulation.

2) Many of the television stations did not work and displayed the message "Odbieranie danych - Brak sygnalu!" which Google advises me means "Receiving channel - no signal!"

3) The arm of the desk chair was very loose and made it uncomfortable to use as it constantly wiggled around when you were seated in it. All it needed was someone with a screw driver to tighten up the fittings - a simple task, you would think.

I reported these problems when I got in from dinner on Thursday evening and a bell boy was sent to the room. He tried the air conditioning unit and said he could feel some air movement but that it was "very weak". I will have to take his word for it as the vent was too high for me to reach. There was nothing he could really do about these problems, but he did provide me with a freestanding fan to help cool the room and advised that the problems would be looked into the following day (Friday).

In the morning, I wrote a list of problems with the room and handed it is to the reception where there were two staff and a man who seemed to be the manager. I asked if they could please rectify the problems while I was out for they day and I was told again it would be looked into.

I came back to the hotel around 3PM to drop off some things and found that nothing had been done in the room. None of the deficiencies had been addressed and in fact, the maid service had not even arrived.

I asked again at reception on the way out and was told (again) that it would be looked into, but by this point I was no optimistic that anything would be done.

When I arrived back in the evening, the room had been made up, but the air conditioning/heating system still did not work, the TV did not work and the chair was not repaired. As it was late, I resigned myself to another night without the room's problems being addressed.

I was very unhappy with this and I asked again in the morning why none of the problems had been rectified. The excuse was that the person who did these repairs was not available. I can't understand why there was no building maintenance staff on a Thursday or Friday, but that is a question for the management of Hotel Grand Cru.

I don't run a 4**** hotel, but it seems to be if your guest is unhappy about deficiencies in their room, you either find someone to fix those deficiencies or you switch them to a different room, not just ignore your guest's concerns.

The room itself was, aside from the problems described, OK. When I arrived, I had a room with two single beds and I asked if I could be switched to a room with one double bed. I was told that was not possible, but that the chambermaids could put the two singles together to make a larger bed. When they arrived, they moved a bedside table and simply pushed the two beds together. It was not remade as one bed. and as a consequence was not particularly comfortable as the beds moved apart in the night.

The room is decorated in a "modern" style with exposed brick and a frosted glass panel lit from behind. It was generally clean, although the carpet in my room was stained with a spray of something (red wine?) at the foot of the bed. I also could not get the bedside reading lights to work and it turned out that there was a master switch that controlled them both, as well as individual switches on each lamp. This was the one problem I asked about that was rectified - showing me the master switch!

The room has a desk and work area with free wi-fi which marred by the previously mentioned problems with the chair. The wi-fi worked pretty well, but their router appeared to be down on Friday morning as my connection was abruptly dropped and my web browser reported DNS errors. It was working again in the evening.

The bathroom was nice with a "rainfall" style shower head. There are no toiletries on offer - just a squeeze bottle of generic hair/body wash mounted on the wall which was very difficult to use as it was more than half empty and difficult to squeeze from as it was wall mounted. Luckily, I had some soap from another hotel with me.

There is a small fitness centre on the ground floor. When I looked at it, the treadmill was out of order and appeared to have been so for some time, as there was a laminated sign advising guests not to use it. The fitness centre also has a small sauna and shower.

In terms of location, the hotel in at the end of town, close to but not on the river front. It is an unprepossessing looking modern brick building, opposite a field at the dead end of the street. When I stayed, it was adjacent to a large riverside construction site.

It is a few hundred yards, but worlds away from the vastly superior Hilton where my traveling companion was staying.

When I checked in, I was asked for a credit card despite the fact that the room was prepaid. A charge of 200PLN was placed on my card, to be refunded at check-out, minus any incidental charges e.g. mini-bar etc. I have never encountered this before; take a credit card impression to cover any incidentals, yes. But make a charge and then refund it? No.

On my last day, I asked about a late check out. I wanted to be able to come back after lunch and shower before heading to the airport. The desk clerk advised that there would be a charge of 100PLN for a late check out, but that she would check if the manager would waive the fee in light of the poor quality of my stay. When I returned to prepare to go to the airport, I was advised that the manager had decided that I should pay for my late check out, despite the poor performance of the hotel during my short stay. So, only 95.80PLN of my 200PLN was refunded - 100PLN for late check out and 4.20PLN "lock out" (city) tax which apparently, was not included in the quoted price.

I did feel that the charge should have been waived, but it appears that profit not guest satisfaction is what matters to Hotel Grand Cru. I don't like to write negatives reviews and I read the reviews on TripAdvisor before booking and decided to give the Hotel Grand Cru a chance despite it mixed reviews. I now wish I hadn't, as the poor service here marred an otherwise wonderful trip to Gdansk.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 301!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank EFILWOL
DobryHotel, General Manager at Q Hotel Grand Cru, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2013

At first, we would like to thank you for visiting the Grand Cru Hotel and taking time to write this review. Your opinion is both very detailed and concrete, that is why we would like to respond to all the allegations that have been raised in your statement one by one. Before this, we need to emphasize that we are truly sorry that you were not satisfied with the standard of given service and we do respect your point of view. You can be sure that each element of your complaint has been taken very seriously and deeply analyzed. Following statements should be treated as complement of themes raised in the review that you and all the readers of tripadvisor.com deserve for and not as weak trial of explaining ourselves. We do hope that at least in some part our information will clarify the details and show the full view of particular issues.

1. Air – conditioning. In the rooms on higher floors, sometimes it happens that on sunny days temperature is a bit higher than on lower levels. We understand that for those more “temperature sensitive” guests it may be inconvenient. If the guest informs us about his/her preferences before the arrival, we always try to give them the room reflecting their expectations or change the room if the issue arises during the stay (and the hotel has available room on the lower floor). Trying to reduce the inconvenience you felt, our porter placed in your room the additional electric fan. We are truly sorry if this solution seemed insufficient for you.

2. TV channels. Hotel TV sets in the hotel rooms have 30 channels (in polish and foreign languages). They are all listed in the guest directory that is placed in each hotel room. Such statement “Receiving channel – no signal” indeed appears on the higher channels – 31, 32, 33, … We are truly sorry if you felt misled in any way or felt that the offer of 30 channels is inadequate.

3. Desk chair. All desk chairs in our rooms have a component that enables to lay the back so that each guest can individually adjust it to his/her comfort. There was no need to use the screw driver in this case, however, your remark concerning this issue is very valuable for us. Till know we were not aware that handling the chair may be not so simple for our guests.

4. Type of the room. If a guest makes a reservation of a single – as you did - room and is not satisfied with the size of one twin bed, we always try to change the room for such with a king size bed. However, during your stay it was impossible, since there were no free rooms of this type. In this situation the only thing that we could offer was to put together two twin beds. We are very sorry to hear that this solution did not satisfy you.

5. Bed lights. In twin double rooms there are “master switches” next to the night tables that control the switches which are on the bed lights. Because, the beds in your room were put together, reaching the “master switch” could have caused some problems. We are deeply sorry that you had some troubles with reading.

6. Wi-fi. During your stay there were no works and other guests did not report this problem. That is why it is hard for us to relate to this.

7. Toiletries. Thank you for raising this topic. In our hotel we have ecological cosmetics, certificated with the EU’s eco-label and they are made by reputable company – Ada Cosmetics. These pure and safe natural products of premium quality confirm the high degree of tolerability for man and environment. We have selected them very carefully bearing in mind the best interest of our guests. There are also cosmetic pads and cotton buds. At the reception we have also some additional toiletries such as toothbrush and toothpaste, razor or sticker. It is a shame that you didn’t let the reception know if you needed anything else from the toiletries so that we could offer you them.

8. Treadmill in the fitness room. To ensure the safety to our guests, we do regularly reviews of our exercise equipment. It was high time we did some maintenance with this machine. That is why it was out of usage for couple days. We do hope that you were able to work out with the other devices we have in our fitness room.

9. Preauthorization – a normal our procedure, is to make a pre-authorization on credit card during check in upon any services that our guest would like to receive. The money are only blocked on credit card. There must have occurred a misunderstanding, since we did not charge you during check in.

10. Payment for late check-out. If the guest wishes to stay a bit longer than noon and the room is not reserved on the following day, we always agree. However, if there are any later check – outs, that generate additional costs with the room-service works, we ask our guest to make some additional payment. Guest can decide if he/she wants to accept the offer. There is always possibility to leave the luggage after checking-out at the reception and this is always free of charge.

11. Local taxes. Each hotel is obliged to charge their guest for the local tax. We inform about it on our website, the on-line reservation channels and at the reception as well. The amount of the payment is established by the local government and we have no influence on it.

Ending our statement, we would like to emphasize that we did all our best to solve all the issues you listed on the sheet of paper you mentioned in you comment. That is why the manager of the hotel, on the same day when we received your complaints, personally went to your room to check if the devices work in order. We are very sorry if you felt badly treated or ignored in any way.
Thank you once again for taking time to write your review.