“fun”

Novotel Gdansk Marina
Ranked #21 of 85 Hotels in Gdansk
Reviewed 22 July 2009

was round 20 years ago .we were there ! - veni vidi vici- me and my friends all best guys from warsaw . in all hotels in this three cities ,we were on the black list. they had hate us, but was funny end expensive for our parents .

ps.best wishes for this girl which took the shower outside the bathroom!
hotel gdynia

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends

Reviewed 14 June 2009

The buiding itself reminded me of those 80's chain hotels on Spanish coast. Just a plain white cube.

Bedrooms are quite comfy and nice - make sure to get one with air-con, otherwise you'll be sorely disappointed. The restaurant is a little bit dated and the food was just alright - typical hotel fare.

The biggest problem of Marina is its location - right on the border of Gdansk and Sopot, and totally far from both. To reach city centre of either city, one has to drive at least 15 mins, and that's only if there's no traffic (and trust me - it doesn't happen too often).

All in all - the hotel isn't too bad but I wouldn't come back and I will definitely stay in Sopot from now on.

• Stayed: May 2006, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stayed for 3 nights, and though it was cold in march, I stilled enjoyed the sea front location.

Hotel is quite nice, and our room was clean and with pleasant ambiance. You can see the beach from all of the rooms, and on the east side of the hotel, there is a view of a "New Port" in Gdansk ( you can see Westerplatte monument on that side of the hotel).

Hotel is located directly on the beach, and has access to a very long and very nice trail, that will take you to Sopot in west direction, and Gdansk Brzezno pier and beach in east direction. Very nice to rest and relax, though get crowded in worm months.
Keep in mind that this hotel in not on the major bus route and it is about 15 minutes from the "Old Town". Taxi's are inexpensive, and you can ask hotel staff how to navigate between bus and street carts to get to most popular places.

Be aware about venturing anywhere by foot in this neighborhood after dark. Area is in close proximity to large group of flats, which can attract people with questionable intentions, and intoxicated teenagers looking for trouble.

Casino downstairs can get loud at night, but you won't hear anything in a hotel room.

Parking is a rip-off! You park across a street (non-hotel parking) you'll save some cash. It's still secure, though I always doubted in Polish parking security ...

Restaurant had good gourmet Polish style food, though pricey. Very "weird" service - waiter seemed creepy and didn't know what Margarita is, also seemed more interested in serving people that looked more business like, than me and the wife.

Breakfast service seemed pricey, but it was well worth it. Buffet/"Swedish Table" style with A LOT to eat with different varieties. All included in a price and was very fresh and very tasty. Young servers were much more friendly than a dinner staff. Restaurant was very clean.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Infectedctrl
Reviewed 19 June 2008

Stayed here for 3 nights as part of a stag weekend and there weren`t too many grumbles from 14 lads.

The hotel stands right on the Gdansk/Sopot border and is a pleasant 20 minute walk to Sopot pier (probably longer to Gdansk but we didn`t get round to trying that side at all). The huge, fine sandy beach is a stone`s throw away. The sea looked a wee bit on the murky side for swimming although this didn`t stop large numbers of locals braving the brine. You can even watch the action on the beach from t.v. monitors in the hotel lift!

None of us made it to the indoor swimming pool (it was very warm outside during the day) although we did manage a few games of tennis on the 2 clay courts which were about €12/hour to rent.

The staff, if a little sullen at times, were all quite pleasant and patient considering we were one of 2 stag groups staying on the premises.

Our rooms on the fourth floor were all a lot plusher (as per hotel website) than the two on the sixth which were a little tired and garish looking.
I believe that they are still working their way up through the floors with their modernisation programme.

As previous reviewers have stated, breakfast leaves a lot to be desired and was particularly disappointing after some of the exceptional buffets I`ve had at other Polish hotels. However, it did set a precedent being the first hotel I`ve stayed in outside of Scotland to offer haggis for breakfast - I kid you not!

On a slightly sour note, we were charged for a number of breakfasts that should have been included in the price of two of the rooms booked as a city break. As I had no proof of this (my printed booking confirmation didn`t show the full conditions) and the reception staff denied all knowledge of it we had to pay up.

The hotel bar was very reasonable - only 5zl for a bottle of beer and there are plenty of bars and cafes close to the hotel for snacky pub type grub (the mini golf bar and the windsurfing club to name 2).

Sopot is an up and coming resort town and the building of a Sheraton opposite the Novotel is evidence of this.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank House_of_Kain
Reviewed 10 April 2008

Novotel Marina Gdansk is located on the beach between Gdansk and Sopot, but it means it is a bit of a distance to both Sopot and Gdansk city centres. I believe it is about 20-25 minutes walk to the centre of Sopot but I have not tried talking there yet.

There is a fairly large swimming pool in the hotel if you prefer to swim in a pool, although other facilities are a bit basic, including the restaurant which looks rather dreary. (The restaurant issue can be resolved by catching a taxi to Sopot where there are decent restaurants - it costs about 10-15 Zloty to get there.)

The breakfast is somewhat disappointing, especially compared to other Polish hotels I have stayed in (having said that, I have only stayed in 4-star hotels in Poland, so maybe this is what you normally get in a 3-star hotel). It does offer hot and cold food for breakfast, but it is quite basic and the selection is quite limited. It is not particularly 'bad' as such, but I am definitely not impressed with it.

The room is clean and is of OK size (the room I have is what I would call 'average' size), with somewhat dated but OK decor. The curtains block out the light very well, so it is good for when I want to sleep in. There are good areas in the room for storing suitcases and the wardrobe space is adequate. I have not noticed any air conditioning control in the room, so it may be a problem in summer when it gets hot, although it is not a problem at the moment (still cold and the central heating is on).

The bathroom is again clean and of decent size. There is a heated towel rail which is a nice addition. The bath tub is of decent size, and the bench area around the sink is of adequate size to put my toiletries on. The shower water pressure is quite adequate not to cause washing long hair to be a long process. (As a somewhat random comment, shower gel provided by the hotel is of rather scary dark blue-ish green colour, although it does the job quite well.)

The staff are generally quite friendly, and most of them understand English enough for me to get by.

Stayed: April 2008
Reviewed 6 December 2007

Accomodation in Sopot in summer is almost impossible to find so this hotel is a great solution and overall good value for money.

However don't expect it to be like any other Novotel and the only thing 'Novotel' about it is the name on outside. After spending 2 nights in the terrible campsite next door I was very excited to be upgrading so I was a bit dissapointed when we realised it didn't even compare favourably to an ETAP standard hotel. The fact there was no air con and the windows hardly open made it awfully stuffy even thought the outside temperature was only 23c in the day and 15c at night.

I'm glad breakfast wasn't included as it looked horrible anyway.

I'd stay there again just because of the first 2 lines of this review but the use of the brand name Novotel is misleading to say the least.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 August 2007

I stayed at the Novotel Marina Gdansk for 3 nights in August 2007 with my family. Big mistake!

I didn't expect a Novotel to be so bad.

Upon check in, we found sand on the bed and 2 empty soda bottles in the cupboard left behind by the previous guests.

The room had a stale, musky smell. My wife said it came from the old carpet, which was not cleaned properly - for a long time! We had to keep the window open throughout our stay to get fresh air in.

The room had no aircon so we had to open the window anyway. However, our room faced the hotel function area and loud thumping techno music from that area kept us up every night. So, it's either suffocate in a room with bad carpet smell, or sleep with loud techno music.

I also had the misfortune of sleeping on the sofa bed and it was terrible - creaky, old and uneven with 2 horizontal metal bars popping up across my back.

The breakfast was OK and service was quite good, but the restaurant had the same musky smell from the carpet.

The front desk staff were grumpy and unhelpful. I had to break up a 10 Zloty note one morning for housekeeping tip and asked the front desk lady for change. She just said: "I don't give change, go to the bar and ask them!" The bar was closed at that time and it was only 10 metres away in front of the front desk. My wife asked for the "welcome activity pack" for the kids and was met with the same "no activity packs, don't bother me" attitude.

The hotel is very near a quiet part of the Gdansk/Sopot beach, which was nice, and you could borrow beach chairs and towels from the hotel's recreation centre. The staff at the recreation centre were friendly. There's a small indoor pool in the hotel but it wasn't fantastic.

Obviously. I will not return to the Novotel Marina Gdansk. In fact, I will be more careful when I book another Novotel for business or holiday trips in the future.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family