“Disapointment”

Ranked #3 of 83 Hotels in Gdansk
Stockholm, Sweden
“Disapointment”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

The most basic thing about an hotel is that guests should be able to feel that staff is honest and can be trusted. At check out, July 27, I was promissed that my postcards would be promtly mailed. I payed for stamps,in total eight, in cash.The staff promissed to buy stamps and mail the post cards.. None of my postcards have been received by family and friends!!
This lack of honesty clouds my whole experience of staying at Podewils Hotel in Gdansk and can not recomend them.

Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Peter b
Piotrowska, Kierownik at Podewils Hotel, responded to this review, 13 September 2013
Dear Mr. Peter b,
Thank you for selecting Podewils Hotel during your visit in Poland.
We are very sorry to hear your disappointment about the post service which unfairly casts a shadow on the whole hotel service.
We would like to strongly emphasize that we cannot take full responsibility for the post office service which we are not. We do our best to relieve you of some possible tasks and make you stay more enjoyable.
For our part, we would like to ensure, that all post is forwarded from the hotel to the main post office every working day.
We hope that all your postcards are already in place and you will find some good memories of Gdansk.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We had originally booked a room at the Pica Paca (which I have reviewed) and they overbooked leaving my wife and me in a very precarious state as it was late in the day and most of the hotels in Gdansk we contacted were fully booked. As luck would have it the Podewils Hotel had one room left that had a great view of Gdansk and best of all it was spacious, clean and very comfortable. When we arrived the receptionist was exceptionally helpful and a delight and as it turns out all of the staff were the same way and couldn't do enough to make sure we enjoyed our stay. Other benefits included an excellent breakfast and secure parking.

Could not more highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the first floor room overlooking the river. (sorry I don't recall the room number).
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Marsascala, Malta
Reviewed 12 July 2013 via mobile

Gorgeous hotel, small yet perfectly formed. The furniture was very in keeping with the history of the building which I loved. We booked a room but got upgraded to the suite which was amazing. The room was huge with a great bed and a hot tub, great relaxing stay! The breakfast was amazing! Huge choice. Would go back just for the buffet!

Stayed October 2012
Stavanger
Reviewed 22 June 2013

The hotel:
This hotel is one of those hotels that just seem to be hidden in plain sight. Indeed they do very little to inform where they are, instead basing it on people knowing about them.
This hotel is an old traditional building, and getting inside that impression is further confirmed.
The hotel is kept in top notch condition, but still retains that old nostalgic feeling to it. I felt very welcome when checking in. Even though the hotel only has a single checkin counter, there are not many rooms in this hotel and that one desk is more than enough to handle whoever might need any service.
At checkin I was told by the personell that I may order anything. Anything at all, even if the hotel didn't offer it, they would get it.
I did not have a chance try this offer. But considering all the other standards in this hotel I would not doubt it.
Breakfast was extremely good. I have never before seen a better selection at a breakfast serving. Even if you don't have time... take time!

Location:
The hotel is located in the old parts of Gdansk and by the river. The location is very picturesque, and the hotel have done its best to blend in.
Most taxis know of this hotel and there is no problem getting here. For other transport I can not give details as I don't know about other options. I was picked up by a taxi every morning.
As the location is the old part of the city, there are plenty of things to see, eat, drink and do within only a few minutes walk of the hotel. All in all, a very good location.

The rooms:
The rooms are what you woud expect from a special hotel like this. Very personal rooms, none are alike.
Top modern bathroom, everything kept spotless clean.
Very comfortable bed. The bed was prepared every evening prior to return to the hotel.
Very tasteful interior. I have nothing to complain about here.

Overall impression:
Simply put: This is it, the hotel to visit.
The hotel just was up to every expectation I could have. Even above what I expected.
If in doubt, choose this hotel!

Room Tip: Rooms on the northside have a very nice view of the old city and the river.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Odd Jarle J
London
Reviewed 11 June 2013

Lovely boutique hotel - with an amazing view of the prettiest bit of the harbour front at Gdansk. Nice staff.
I'd stay again and recommend so no real complaints.
But as I've just been emailed asking for feedback I might as well be truthfull.
I'm surprised it claims to have a five star rating. I'd say it was much more four or even top three star-ish.
I think it's too tiny to be able to offer the facilities of a five star hotel.
There is simply no room for gyms and the sort of stuff a big five star hotel could offer.
Five star hotels always give complimentary water in the rooms. I don't think the Podewills did. I think they charged mini bar rates for water.
Five and four star hotels often have an ironing board and iron in the room. This hotel didn't.
Five and four star hotels usually have tea and coffee making facilities in every room. Again this didn't.
The only thing that really disappointed me was when I asked to borrow an iron - to quickly press a crushed dress.
I was told they could not lend me one - I think they said it was for health and safety reasons! Per-lease!
They said I could send it to the laundry to be pressed. Very disappointing because I needed my things ironed then - not that afternoon or the next day.
I think a few tiny improvements like this would make the hotel even better
and make it more five-star ish.

Room Tip: Make sure you pay extra for a harbour view - it's worth it
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CousinHinton
RamOn, Israel
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hi!
to my regret, i didn't had the chance of enjoying the beauty and facilities of this hotel, I just arrived very late and left pretty early in the morning, however I can say that my room was very-very-very SMALL! Clean but very small and bare minimum. I was quite disappointed, I always prefer smaller, boutique like hotels vs big corporate, but this time the comfort of my room wasn’t the best.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Gabriela M
Halifax, Canada
Reviewed 27 May 2013

This hotel was one of the delights of our recent two weeks in Poland. Gdansk is a charming old town and this hotel and its staff made our stay one of the trip's highlights. At how many places do they open the front door as you alight from your taxi and rush out to welcome you, show you to a super corner room and then draw you a walking map to the perfect little bistro. We'll return.

• Stayed April 2013