“Service spoils a good location!”
Review of Krolewski Hotel

Krolewski Hotel
Ranked #34 of 85 Hotels in Gdansk
Reviewed 18 August 2014

The service at this hotel lets it down! Surly, communistic, non welcoming staff should be retrained or let go!
Modern day hotels should provide natural yoghurt...this was requested on three days without any success.
One day our room was not serviced with the cleaning staff lying that we'd left the Private sign on our door. Not so, as we'd not only left the green sign on the door, but advised the front desk we were going out for the day, and it was before noon! The first reaction of the night staff when we reported this at 10pm was to say they couldn't help as there was only one person on duty! Their second reaction was for us to fill out a complaint form! When we stood our ground to have the wet towels that were on the floor changed, we were successful. Half an hour later they arrived.
During the five days of our stay we suffered from the rehearsal noise of an outdoor concert that was finally boomed into our room on the final night, finishing at midnight! Intending stayers would do well to check the concert planner for Gdansk before making a booking. The noise is amplified around the old brick buildings and is not at a healthy level!
One of our rooms faced the canal with gorgeous views of the Crane, but the night partying noise from boats was so bad after two nights we ordered a swap to a back room...but then there was the concert noise.At least IT stopped at midnight!
Otherwise the hotel was ok...but its always service that remains in your memory of a place. And our stay was spoiled by the inadequate service overall. For this I would not recommend a stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: Bring noise cancelling ear phones.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We booked 2 rooms as we were travelling with extended family. You have a good impression on arrival. The hotel is a converted granary and it looks very nice from the outside. The reception area looks nice and restaurant overlooks the river. Our room was deluxe and we were very happy with it. It overlooked the canal and was quite spacious. However we were very very disappointed with the 2nd room. Thank god it was only for 1 night and you don't spend too much time in it. We booked a double/twin room. Where it said special request on booking, I asked for a double bed not twin. However they were twin beds in a very tiny room overlooking the courtyard. They even saw a cockroach! !! And the price paid was not cheap at all. We tried to upgrade the room but they said it was fully booked. Breakfast was good and had ample choice. location is very good as it 's a nice 10min stroll to old town. Overall: although it's nice (if you have a room on the canal!) I think it's a bit overpriced as it's average.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank twinnieMalta
Reviewed 31 July 2014

The staff here is amazing, showed up a day early due to the violence in Ukraine, and they made special accommodations for that night. The whole staff seemed to go out of their way to help out this crazy American, they were all willing to answer questions about the area, and they helped me to get to a couple different golf courses. The restaurant was fantastic food for a good hot breakfast, had St. Dominic fair not been going on I would have ate there more. The place is definitely on my come back again list.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I made a booking for a twin share room for my daughter and i for the weekend. I was told on arrival that they only had a single room available for the first evening so i had to make alternatiwve arrangements for my daughter to sleep elsewhere. On the second night they changed us to a twin share room. That all said, the rooms are dated and very hot in summer.

Much to my disgust on checking out i was cahrged 990 zloty per night whilst the advertised price is 450 zloty per night. I was told by receptionist that this was due to my booking being for the last room available. Beware of this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Had a few nights in this hotel in May. We found the staff warm and friendly and the hotel room cosy and clean. There is a short walk into old Gdansk and plenty to explore nearby. lots of restaurant choices within a short walk. The hotel is very fairly priced, breakfasts are in a delightful dining room overlooking the waterfront. Id go back as we enjoyed our stay in the hotel and particularly in Gdansk which is a beautiful town

Room Tip: try a corner room overlooking the water.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Simonsays3042
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The hotel is located across the canal from the old city and benefits from lovely views. It's an old granary building lovingly restored with large rooms, comfortable beds and an excellent shower. Breakfast, service and amenities just OK. Would recommend when in Gdansk.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2014

What an iconic building. Having walked down through the Old Town from the railway station, I passed through an archway to the banks of the river and the Krolewski was standing right in front of me on the opposite bank. An old warehouse in red brick, you will see it on many posters and postcards depicting the river.
The first thing you notice on approaching the front of the hotel is how clean and well maintained everything is. The reception area is like a comfortable sitting room, with fresh flowers and a pleasant fragrance. I arrived a little early but the staff at reception rang immediately to see if a room was ready and I was asked if it was okay to wait 10 minutes. After 5 minutes in a very comfortable chair I was informed that the room was ready. It appeared as though the whole cleaning staff had put the finishing touches to get the room prepared. And what a room! On the first floor at the corner. Nice size spotlessly clean and incredible views from three windows of the river and the Old Town. The bed was very comfortable and a double, even though I had only paid for a single. The bathroom again was spotless ,with amenities. The breakfast at Zlt 29 (€ 7-8) was fantastic and great value.
The downside to this hotel? It's location on the banks of the river is a great site but you need to walk a fair distance to cross a bridge and walk through the marina to reach it. It takes about a 15 minute leisurely to get to and from the Old Town and the bulk of the sites and restaurants. The room I was in didn't have a safe so ended up carrying all my valuables around with me. I was also woken to building work taking place right next to the hotel. Fortunately I planned to wake early but could be annoying if you want a lie in. Be aware that the hotel still uses keys for the rooms and you need to remember to lock your room when you leave it.
Any minor issues were far outweighed by the shear charm of this hotel and city. An abiding memory will be strolling back to the hotel after a late dinner and hearing a violin playing on the other side of the river. It just felt right!

Room Tip: The corner rooms on the left side facing the river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo