“Not Alternative”

32 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Not Alternative”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I love Free Tours. I think they are one of the best ways to get in touch with a city. But this was probably the worst and weirdest free tour I've ever attended. Branding your tours Alternative creates some expectations. This was everything but an Alternative tour. I felt more like a tourist from a cruise ship or bus that is following the yellow umbrella or number (in this case free tour sign) from the guide. Our guide was called Anna or Anja and showed up at exactly 12pm. Her voice was soft and it was sometimes hard to understand. what didn't help was that she always placed herself in the middle of the group in stead of keeping the group in front of her (many times people stood behind her and could not hear her). She also seemed to pick locations which were particularly loud (fountains, busy roads) what did not seem to help either. The weirdest part of the tour was when she walked towards the Tourist information where there were some boards with information about sights in the city. She went by some of the pictures (a zoo??, a museum that was not open yet?? and a big stadium???) and told us it was worthwhile going. At the end of the tour she also told us we could go on a boat tour in a pirate ship, and told us the times (which were displayed on a very big board, so everybody had already seen it). The tour went through all the mayor sights in the city centre that you can also find by yourself if you pick up a guide book. There was only one hidden spot.
I felt disappointed by this free tour, after already seen so many good ones. Maybe the guide was new. She seemed like a nice girl though, and I hope she can improve her guiding, because you could tell she was passionate about Gdansk, which was nice to see. (But get rid of the boards, the pirate ship, think about how you place yourself in front of the group and locations)

Visited June 2014
3 Thank henkleutscher

• Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Two Thumbs Up!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013 via mobile

Nine of us took a tour with Kasia today. It was fantastic! Wow, we learned so much about Gdansk! Kasia spoke excellent English and was so sweet and informative. Two thumbs up for Alternative Gdansk Tours and Kasia.

2 Thank Peg B
Toronto, Canada
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Fantastic Tour!”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The free walking tour in Gdansk was great! would definitely recommend it. Our guide was really good and they are just getting started with the tours so I bet it will get even better!

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Katiek957
Natchez, Mississippi
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 356 helpful votes
“Great Tour”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

This is a great concept – pay as you go. If you like the tour you tip, if you do not you do not have to. I took two tours with this company and both were great. The guides told interesting stories, answered questions and did their best to provide an overview of the history of the area and Poland. Before I took this tour, I took a walking tour I paid for – I wish I had chosen this company first, the tour was twice as good.

You are going to walk a lot on this tour and while the guides provide places to sit along the way, you will want to wear comfortable shoes.

Denver Mullican

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We bumped into a group of free walkers while hanging around the city, asked the guide for the next tour who informed us about it. Next day, we joined her and did the most beautiful, interesting walking tour. Our guide was such a professional, mixing history facts, culture and even quizzes about this wonderful city. It took 3'5 hours (last half under the rain) but it didn't matter beacause it really worth it. I recommend this activity 100%.

Visited September 2013