“Anya, the tour was just great! Thanks!”

Alternative Gdansk - Free Walking Tours
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I really enjoyed the TOUR with you) and also our nice lunch together with other people from the tour in a local restaurant! Thank you so much for your stories and time you spent with us!

2  Thank MilaiiaMila

Reviewed 29 July 2014

I would not like to list all the bad things that happened on the tour, but

- the guides sometimes do not show up (there are notices on facebook but not everyone carries a laptop or has access to the internet),
- our guide did not introduce herself,
- the info given was very poor and had a very little content (even from the point of view of a foreign tourist who knows less about the city and country)
- the guide did not know the answers to the questions given,
- some valuable spots were just omitted (like Kindertransporten monument),
- only in the main town the quality got slightly better

and NO TIP BAG! It was so embarrasing to tip the guide straight to her hand!!!

1  Thank Xarn81
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I have been to several free walking tours in different cities. This tour was a bit dissappointing comparing to others for the name 'alternative' suggested we would visit other places than most tourists will pass. Our guide Anja took us to a lot of places you will come across almost automatically when you're in Gdansk. However, she could tell the expected information that a guide should. It was just not that alternative to me. Personally, I would have liked more interaction and the pronounciation of English could have been better, so it would be easier to listen to and understand all the information that the guide possesses. Please keep the tour going, but I suggest to be more creative in what kind of places to show, tell also some stuff about what locals do and like nowadays and try to interact more.

1  Thank roeliesijbinga
Reviewed 3 July 2014

I love Free Tours. I think they are one of the best ways to get in touch with a city. But this was probably the worst and weirdest free tour I've ever attended. Branding your tours Alternative creates some expectations. This was everything but an Alternative tour. I felt more like a tourist from a cruise ship or bus that is following the yellow umbrella or number (in this case free tour sign) from the guide. Our guide was called Anna or Anja and showed up at exactly 12pm. Her voice was soft and it was sometimes hard to understand. what didn't help was that she always placed herself in the middle of the group in stead of keeping the group in front of her (many times people stood behind her and could not hear her). She also seemed to pick locations which were particularly loud (fountains, busy roads) what did not seem to help either. The weirdest part of the tour was when she walked towards the Tourist information where there were some boards with information about sights in the city. She went by some of the pictures (a zoo??, a museum that was not open yet?? and a big stadium???) and told us it was worthwhile going. At the end of the tour she also told us we could go on a boat tour in a pirate ship, and told us the times (which were displayed on a very big board, so everybody had already seen it). The tour went through all the mayor sights in the city centre that you can also find by yourself if you pick up a guide book. There was only one hidden spot.
I felt disappointed by this free tour, after already seen so many good ones. Maybe the guide was new. She seemed like a nice girl though, and I hope she can improve her guiding, because you could tell she was passionate about Gdansk, which was nice to see. (But get rid of the boards, the pirate ship, think about how you place yourself in front of the group and locations)

3  Thank henkleutscher