“Good place in Gdansk, with some minor flaws”

Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk
Ranked #2 of 84 Hotels in Gdansk
Warsaw, Poland
“Good place in Gdansk, with some minor flaws”
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Definitely one of better hotels in Gdansk, located in the centre, with all advantages of a 5* Radisson - impeccably clean, with impressive, but friendly design, quiet rooms, comfortable beds, etc. I would rate it as 'excellent', but I faced for two issues: in the hotel bar nobody seemed interested if I wanted to order and nobody approached my table (I was well visible). After 15 minutes I decided to go to the bar and order a salad and a glass of wine there... I was informed that I should wait till a waiter comes to my table (!). Secondly, if you get a suite, there is no way you can dry your hair in front of a mirror! You cannot use the hairdryer in the bathroom (officialy, for you own safety) and the power outlets and mirrors in the other parts of the room are located in different places.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 15 March 2013
Dear Guest

first of all thank you for staying with us and writing this review.

I appreciate your general impression of the hotel.

We do strive to provide the best service and such behaviours in the bar are not something we would be proud of.
I would like to apologize for the situation and I assure you I will share your opinion with my bar staff to avoid such situations in the future.

Thanks to your comment we will be able to provide a better service in the future.

I look forward to see you again in our hotel, shall your travel plans bring you to Gdansk.

Maciej Miazek

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Årjäng, Sweden
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Me and my wife stayed here five nights on a private matter.

Location:
Can not possibly be better. It is not accurate to say it is close to the Old Town, it IS the old town - or at least part of it. Old original buildings still look old and original on the outside but on the inside it is a well designed, modern, very comfortable hotel. It also contains an exhibition of amber jewellry (for sale) and a small "museum" with items from what I guess is an acheological dig of ancient Gdansk. You walk over it, literally, it is below a glass floor you cross on your way to the restaurant and breakfast.

The northern facade of the hotel faces ul. Dluga, the main street in the old town. The old town is full of nice restaurants, bars and other shops and businesses.

Check-in:
You walk on marble floor in a wide and nice lobby area and pass a nice bar to your right to get to the reception desk. Swift and friendly service by a smiling and friendly young lady who gave us all the information we needed and even more. She spoke fluently english.

Room:
We had booked a business-class meaning a bit more space, a nespresso-machine, bathrobe/slippers and other extras. The room also had ironing-board and safe.
The room was very spacious, with a comfortable king-size bed, as booked. An adequate work-desk with a good chair.
It also contained two chairs and a table.

However, the two chairs, one would suppose was there for relaxation was chronically uncomfortable. The legs on the chairs were so high that my normal-sized wife was dangling her feet when she tried to sit normally, the seats were narrow, the chairs was too small. There was nothing positive to say about these chairs and they were totally useless and out of place in an otherwise comfortable room. They could probably better be used as barstools or childrens chairs in the restaurant.

Also on the negative side is the minibar which is of the type that automatically register and charge your bill when you take something out. For the guest this is no good, as it can not be used to keep private food and drinks refrigerated during the stay.

The room was cleaned to perfection on arrival, and kept as clean during our stay by three nice chambermaids. Upon request they provided us with extra nespresso-capsules of our favourite flavour.

We also got a newspaper delivered to the door every morning, one could choose newspaper from ones home-country and got a print-out of a web-edition. Free of charge, at least in the business-class room. Nice touch!

WiFi is available all over the hotel for free! However, it is not high-speed as the hotel claims, in the room it's annoyingly slow.

Breakfast:
Very nice! A buffet with a wide selection of any breakfastfood-item one could possibly want, and if one wanted even something else, I'm certain that the very attentive, service-minded and always close at hand breakfast-staff would get it. Scrambled and boiled eggs on the buffet - omelettes, fried eggs and/or pancakes made to order.

Restaurant:
We tried it one evening. We found it OK, but didn't get euphoric. It may have been us beeing a bit tired from the travel.

The hotel has a fitness-center but no swimming pool.
Just outside the reception there is a hairdresser, and also a nice convenience-shop.

Overall:
A very nice stay. The chairs in the room, (for a specific reason we had to spend quite some time in the room during this stay), reduced the overall quality of our stay, but not enough to prevent me from recommending this hotel.

Room Tip: If one accept the extra charge and upgrade to a deluxe-room, one get the only rooms with view, looki...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 11 March 2013
Dear Guest

thank you for staying with us and writing this very detailed review.

We appreciate your comments and I will look myself to the Internet speed as it should be high speed with 100 m/b ordered from our provider.

Looking forward to host you again in our hotel.

london
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Hotel was really nice,very clean.breakfast there was everything there very good. Hotel restaurant very good value for money , would definitely use another one of there hotels again.Staff very helpful.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 8 March 2013
Dear Guest

thank you for writing a review about your recent stay with us.

I am very happy to see you were satisfied with your stay.
We look forward to welcome you again in our hote.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights on a business conference. I echo many of the positive reviews for the hotel, the central location (try the restaurant opposite on the river side with its nautical theme and wide menu), the high standard of rooms, and the excellent breakfast. Also the price is reasonable given the location, and facilities.
Two slight downsides
- lunch time restaurant service is poor (perhaps if you are only in a small party and another conference is taking place you lose out?)
- Gym is small - adequate for 2-3 people but that would be really pushing it - against this generous opening hours of 6am-11pm mean you should be able to find a slot when things are not too busy

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 4 March 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post your opinion on Tripadvisor.

I appreciate your comments so we can act accordingly.
As you have mentioned the gym, it would be a bit difficult to enhance its size but we definately will address the service issues in the restaurant.

Thank you for staying with us and look forward to see you again in Gdansk.

Yours sincerely ,

Ochota, Warszawa, Poland
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Wow, I have never expected something like this from a Radisson. I am a member of Carlson club and I very often visit hotels of this brand - I am usually satisfied (as you can see in my other reviews). After this stay however I shall reconsider if I ever want to stay at a Radisson.

First of all, the hotel is indeed located at a very center of Gdansk. Most of the rooms however do not have a nice view from the window (to a back street or an average courtyard).
During check-in I wasn't at all recognized as a Carlson club member, I felt even sorry that I made the receptionist to input my card number to her PC to get my points!

I got a twin room, even though I asked for a double - it was almost like a double bed, yet it consisted of two beds moved close together. Apart from that, I felt a rotten egg smell in the toilet immediately as I entered my room. I simply called the ONE TOUCH SERVICE and after 5 minutes somebody came to check the smell in my toilet and, having confirmed that, offered me another room next door. No sorry, no 'free drink' no... nothing!
The new room (also a twin!) had a different problem, the air conditioning was working poor, independent of my setting it was cold. The floor heating in the bathroom did not work. As I called the helpline again, I only heard that I must put my card into the card hold to enable the system and wait some time! Well until my check-out it did not start to work!

Now, I do not mean that a technical failure must not occur in a hotel, bu the service should be much better, somebody should come, check, propose something. The hotel has many ways of saying "I am sorry": a room upgrade, free drink, free minibar... whatever!

It also needs to be mentioned that there were no bathroom sleepers, and I had to call for it... That is already 4 problems in one night!

In this hotel I also found something that should never happen, even in a 2star hotel! The towels were torn and had strange holes in them... I was so shocked when I noticed it, that I only could
laugh (thank you, Radisson, for making me laugh).

There is a gym in the hotel, but only with cardio devices. It is small and not very comfortable.

So I woke up in the morning with cold (the air conditioning was still governing the air temperature below my comfort levels) and went to eat the breakfast.

I can not complain about the breakfast, except the breakfast staff - totally unprofessional. I was simply approached to many times when I was eating and asked if I wanted something or if my breakfast was good. This was overwhelming. I couldn't focus on eating. The waiter should be trained better, more subtle, especially if he/she works in a 5 star hotel.
There is a nice variety of food, good quality, really tasty. Nevertheless, the hot dishes are placed in small containers and putting the food on a plate requires much focus and dexterity. This may take so long, that the other people are waiting until you finish (only one person at a time is able to help them self). I really enjoyed my cappuccino (one of the best served ever)!

I also asked for a late check-out. This was not a problem at least, I extended the validity of my key card and could use my room until 1pm. Unfortunately, about 12 my room door opened and I saw a housekeeper... hopefully I was not naked, but there was even no knocking! How is it possible in a 5 star hotel?

As far as the "no-floor-heated" bathroom is concerned, the showerhead holder was broken and it was pivoting around the rod as water was flowing. I could not make the water flow directly on me, without holding the device. This was a true nail in the coffin.

To compare with Gdansk Hilton, that I also often visit, I found the Radisson very poor. Maybe it was just bad luck, but in my opinion the staff needs a lot of training in guest care. The bathrooms should be often checked (for the bad smell and for the technical problems). The airconditioning should give the guest a chance to adjust the temperature.

You may say, that these are only details, that I should insist on the staff to do something. Yes, these are the small things that make the difference!
If this was a 3 star hotel for 30 euros I would be more than happy, but not in a hotel of this class, especially if there are other, better choices in Gdansk.

Room Tip: Check the toilet if it does not smell. Ask for and demand a true double room.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Igor S
maciekmiazek, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
Dear Guest

First of all thank you for posting your review.

I see from your comments that you were totally not satisfied with your stay, where looking at the described circumstances I must say I totally agree with your dissapointment.

I would like to apologize for all the inconveniences and the service defficiencies.

Because what you have described it is not a normal service level in our hotel, I thank you for your comments which will help us improve the operations.

I would like you, if possible, to contact me directly under maciek.miazek@radissonblu.com so I can take further steps in regards to your stay.

Again I apologize and appreciate your comments and look forward to hear from you.

Yours sincerely
Reviewed 12 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two nights on a business trip. As always, Radisson delivers. Very good rooms, I got a large, modern room with wifi and comfy bed. Situated in the heart of the old town. The restaurant and breakfast were impeccable!

• Stayed February 2013
marcin_panek, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 14 February 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate you have stayed with us again and on top of that that you have taken the time to complete a survey.

Thank you for recognizing the value of breakfast as we put all our strengths and efforts to make it tasty and pleasurable as the best start of the day.

Hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Marcin Panek
Sales & PR Manager
Radisson Blu Hotel, Gdansk
+48 58 325 4444
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed 30 January 2013

Great location; not so expensive; big, clean and beautiful rooms; good food; perfect service - that's how I can describe the hotel, I can really recommend it for everyone who like convinience and good quality.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank 14wf
marcin_panek, Public Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel Gdansk, responded to this review, 8 February 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of our entire staff I would like to kindly thank you for expressing your personal feelings towards our property. Thank you for mentioning the room size which is one of our adavtage however not the only one.

Hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the area!

Marcin Panek