“Home to home”

Ranked #56 of 84 Hotels in Gdansk
Mosta, Malta
“Home to home”
Reviewed 15 July 2009

Pica Paca Hotel got 2 thumbs up (or rather 4) from us. Our stay with them unfortunately was a short one of three nights as we headed up to Poland originally for the Heineken Open'er festival in Gdynia..which if you are into these things is most definately worth the trip.
We decided to have a couple of extra days after the festival in Gdansk as a follow up for some sight seeing & relaxation whilst we were there, seeing as we'd never been to Poland before. So after reading previous remarks on Tripadvisor about Pica Paca, I was sure we weren't going to be disappointed.
We most definately weren't. Prior our arrival we had sent a few emails getting in contact with the staff & asked for some help & suggestions on places to visit, seeing as we had limited time. Every reply was detailed & full of useful information.
Upon arrival at the hotel we were greeted & explained the usual proceedures..then shown to our room - the Galileo Galilei suite, very pretty & modern..not to mention clean. Only a couple of things which are a tad on the negative side (however did not really affect our likings to the place): there was no full length mirror in the room, we ladies do like to have a proper look at ourselves before venturing out..I'm sure you'd agree...and the room didn't have airconditioning, so seeing as it was quite warm at the time we had to keep the windows open, which made me feel a bit uneasy at night seeing as we were on the street level. Other than that everything was fine.
Breakfast, which was included in the price, was a delisious buffet of breads, cold meats, cheeses, yoghurts, fruits, cakes, juices, tea, coffees & so on..& each morning there was always something different..twice we were asked if we'd like some scrambled eggs..this meal was the perfect start to the day.
The hotel is located in a very central area of Old Gdansk, walking distance from the main tourist area where there's loads to see..historical & cultural...many restaurants serving delicious meals at extreemly reasonable prices - I recommend the baked duck..a local speciality..one amazing place we went to eat was Goldwasser Restaurant..simply divine, they also sell an exclusive liquer (hence the name Goldwasser)..definately worth a try.
We wanted to do some shopping..so we asked at reception & we were advised to go to Gallaria Baltika (I think it's spelt like that)...so we got a taxi (cost us around 25 Zlotti [€6]aprox. 20-25mins distance) & spend almost a whole day in there going around close to 200 outlets!!
I could go on & on..but basically at the end of the day..our stay in Poland & at Pica Paca was a great one..& we'd love to visit again some time.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Lorna T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Singapore
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We stayed 4 nights at pica paca hotel and enjoyed the fantastic appartment with 2 double bedroom and lots of space (living room, two bathrooms and a large terrace on the top. Situated just 3 minutes walk from old town and serving a good breakfast in the morning this hotel was a very good choice to explore the beautiful city of Gdansk.
Due to the freshly refurbished rooms the TV was not available so far (which was not a problem at all for us because we came not to Gdansk to watch silly soaps the nights) but should be said as it was one of the offered features of the rooms. Bill was charged in PLN instead of EUR as indicated but just a minor aspect.
Overall this place had nice staff, beautifull and clean rooms with a view and during the night it has been very quiet however all the nice bars and clubs of the oldtown were just a short walk away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank SebastianSingapore
Norway
Reviewed 14 March 2009

We stayed on night in pica paca hotel. We had 3 dobble rooms. They where very nice and modern. Breakfast was small and very delicate:) Staff was very very helpfull - and the service was like a 5 star hotel. The two next nights we stayed in the Kobzka house on the roof of the hotel. The big appartment had very nice kitchen and bathrooms. The funitures was kind of old - but it was perfect in the appartment. It had 3 big bedrooms and a terrasse with funitures. It was only one block to the main street. I would like to stay here again. It was very clean to:)

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nicoline-75
U.K.
Reviewed 8 January 2009

We stayed here while attending a conference. The location was very convenient and only a short stroll to the old town and all its' sights.
The staff were very friendly and helpful which gave the hotel a relaxed and friendly feel. The rooms are modern and very clean. Breakfast was excellent and it was possible to make tea and coffee in the evenings if we wished. The hotel foyer is a good place to work (if you are having that type of trip). I would certainly stay here again.

• Liked — the staff and location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Sharon0957
Turku
Reviewed 16 December 2008

We spent 4 nights in Pica Paca with my girlfriend and we both liked it. Service was good and the manager was very helpfull (got us a dvd player next day we had requested it!).

Pica Paca is a small design hotel on great location. It was in a walking distance from all the attractions and it was easy to get to the shopping centers by tram. Staff was helpfull and told us how to get to everywhere we wanted. Breakfast is great and the girl serving there was allways very willing to boil eggs for us.

I had only few minuses -

-The views from the rooms can be bad as there is a construction site infront of the hotel.

-Room wasn't cleaned daily for some reason (if you are staying longer like we were).

Generally I looked a lot of hotels in Gdansk and I think Pica Paca is one of the best options available.

• Liked — Good location and check in service
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Villemies
the Netherlands
Reviewed 30 September 2008

I booked the Pica Paca hotel because the location was close to where we had to be for our business. This is a perfect place with personal service as you always wanted it. Clean, modern and well equipped rooms, good beds, a nice bowl with apples and mineral water for free. A good stocked mini bar, iron & board, flat screen and plenty of International TV channels. Good shower rooms with excellent rain showers. A very nice breakfast area where a friendly girl is serving you a freshly fried egg upon request. A pleasant bar, reception and sitting area with comfortable tables and chairs were it is very pleasant to do your work, which we did! F.O.C. WiFi. A friendly staff member serving you a large jug of water with lemmon without having asked for it! Top service by very nice young staff.
The location is excellent ( on Granary Island, within 10 minutes walking of the city centre).
This is a lovely modern and comfortable hotel and definitely much better in personal service than all the big chain hotels.

• Liked — The combination of a modern small hotel in a beautiful restored building together with real personal staff service.
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 24 September 2008

A friend and I stayed here for three nights in August. We had booked over the net and requested a twin rather than a double. This was confirmed almost immediately and we were told we were in the Neil Armstrong Suite.
On arrival, we were shown to the Galelio Suite which was a double. When we questioned the sleeping arrangements, we were told by the receptionist that as they had confirmed a twin, we could have a second room at no extra charge. Clearly we were very pleased with this but couldn't help but think if the hotel had been full, the outcome may have been different. However the staff were very helpful and nothing seemed to be too much trouble.
The rooms were clean and confortable but I would agree with another review about the paper thin curtains. You are awake as soon as the sun comes up. I was in the Madonna Suite and had a good room however the shower did seem to let water run all over the bathroom and there was no bathmat. I'm sure that if I'd have asked for extra towels, they would have been delivered quickly. I didn;t so my fault.
The breakfast was very good and the bar had a nice atmosphere. The staff really made the hotel a good place to stay and it is a brilliant location.
I'm not certain I'd stay again as as someone has pointed out, the booking on the net was in Euros and we were charged in Zlotys. I'm not too sure about their exchange rate but as we got two rooms for the price of one, I'm not going to argue.
Overall we had a really good stay here and I liked Gdansk a lot but would probably not return. I felt as though I had been had over the entire weekend from being grossly overcharged by the cab driver from the airport (who asked if he could keep the change) when we were charged almost half on the return trip, to seeing cheap red wine on a restaurant menu for 20 Zlotys (£5) for 100ml (if a pub or restaurant in London tried to charge me £12.50 for a 250ml glass of wine I wouldn't be impressed and as on this occasion would stick to beer), the boat trip up the river which apart from a monument where the second world war started, is a series of scrap yards, right up to the dodgy hotel exchange rate.
It was a real shame as the people seemed so pleasant and it really is a beautiful place and although not a huge amount to do or see, has some lovely landmarks. I've had cheaper weekends in Western Europe and when I doubt the average Pole spends £5 on a small glass of wine or £3 on a small beer. Go to see some of Poland and eat some really good food (it was all excellent) but don't expect a bargain weekend.

• Liked — Fabulous location
  • Disliked — Dodgy exchange rate
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with friends