“The best of the best! This attraction is little known but definitely worth seeing”
Review of Bochnia Salt Mine

and up
The Bochnia Salt Mine Tour from Krakow
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Bochnia
More attraction details
Owner description: Huge deposits of rock salt mined since the 13th century, which today feature 300 kilometers of galleries filled with works of art and statues sculpted in salt.
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

One of the girls in the management team in our hotel recommended this to us.
We thoroughly enjoyed this attraction. Our guide was fantastic and personable.
Last year we went to the other salt mine but this mine was far better and less touristy. You can take a bus from Krakow and be in Bochnia in about 1 hour.

3  Thank Wrmf

Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Went with my family, having previously been to Weiliczka salt mines and although Bochnia is not as well set up for tourists at the moment it was much better.

It is a little harder to reach, but well worth it. The English guide we had was fantastic, and the attractions in the mine are brilliant with good interactive displays, a great slide and sports hall and a good restaurant. Would definitely recommend!

1  Thank JoeyPJoey
Reviewed 21 November 2013

A great and very historical place. Must see when Y travel to Krakow. If Y wish to see real salt mine - select Bochnia: older, deeper, wilder and more genuine than Wieliczka but younger in museum role. If Y looking for attraction in "Disneyland" style - go to Wieliczka. If Y want to feel real salt mine with atmosphere, climate, style and original - take a trip to Bochnia. I was there several times always with positive experiences. It is a place for real adventure and Y can touch a real salt mine - priceless :).

1  Thank Jacek P
Reviewed 13 November 2013

That fact I'm writing this in November 2013 and there have been only three English language reviews this year indicates how undiscovered by the Krakow 'lot' is.

Bochnia is half way between Krakow and where my wife grew up, so was a perfect day out for us. While our tour guide didn't speak English, I had a headphone which more then adequately guided me around.

There is a fun slide partway through the tour, if you want to ride down this, you have to be wearing laced up footwear otherwise you'll have to walk down numerous steps.

I speak a bit of Polish and during a Q&A session with the guide one of the tourists (all Polish) who was clearly enjoying the tour asked why the mine wasn't doing more to market itself and push itself to the Krakow tourists.
The response from the guide (casting a careful eye in my direction) was that the mine doesn't want to be spoilt, doesn't want to become another Wieliczka - all the more reason to visit it!

If you're staying in Krakow and fancy seeing something else, something different and don't mind having your English language guide in a headphone, then give Bochnia a try. Thoroughly enjoyable and I still haven't visited Wieliczka!

*Delayed posting as I didn't realise the mine was on TripAdvisor*

2  Thank ConsumerBloke
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Sincerely I was quite scared about this excursion when we visited Kracow as I don't like close environments..., but my wife insisted because the weather forecasts gave snow for a day, so "we" decided to plan this adventure out from the city, and I have to admit I hadn't any problen nor felt any disease during the time we spent "buried alive" there. It's the most ancient salt mine in Poland with maximum (visiting) depth at -350 meters, but the originary aeration system ensure a continuos air change so no stifling sensations, and paths, corridors, transiting and living ambients are almost wide enough and the down-hill develops itself smoothly along more than 4 km, even though it's not possible to visit it all (I hadn't insisted...). Guides are very nice and belong to families of local miners as the industrial actvity stopped years ago and recently the mine has been re-opened to the public for touristic purposes. There is also plenty of multimedial stuff explaining the evolution of the extracting techniques dued also to the changes in salt trade rules during centuries, very interesting. But the best is in the artisanal works made by miners, like salt sculptures, chandeliers and a delightful chapel where workers were used to pray and attend the mess. There was also a nursery for the children with playground games rigorously made always by the miners on site, and a big public resting room for those who like to spend a whole or more than one day inside it, night included. Maybe another time, the following day there was sun....

2  Thank Hannukar A