Benedict Hostel
Hostel FAUST(Krakow)
  • Bar/Lounge
Hotel Stary(Krakow)
  • Pool
All reviewsbottom bunkmain attractionsliving roomtrain stationsocketscheese
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 June 2013

I went to Krakow with a friend to spend a few days sightseeing and visiting Auschwitz, just for a mini-break. We booked this hostel as it was REALLY cheap, and we were realistic about what we were going to get!

The location was very good, it was about a 10-15 minute walk from the train station that we'd arrived at, and fairly easy to find. It was a stone's throw from the main part of town, yet we were far enough away that we weren't kept awake all night with traffic noise and music.

Upon arrival, we were slightly scared as the outside of the hostel looked run down, and had graffiti. It smelt weird as we ascended the stairs to get to reception as were filled with trepidation.

But we shouldn't have worried. All in all, the hostel was small and friendly. Whilst the decor was slightly run down, the rooms themselves were basic but had everything you need. We had booked a twin room, and our beds were comfier than they looked, and everything worked, the lights, the shower, the TV and all the plug sockets.

For travelling on a budget, we had no complaints.

The best part of this hostel was the incredibly friendly staff! The reception was manned 24/7 which was reassuring, as anyone would have to get past reception to get to the rooms. We had asked one of the staff some questions about our next days plans, late one evening, and we awoke the next morning to find that she had written out lots of directions for us, as well as the bus numbers etc, which was really helpful!

They didn't tell us when we booked that we'd have to pay a "tourist tax" but it was only a couple of pounds.

For a cheap place to stay, it was quite decent. We got a good night's sleep every night.

The free breakfast was fine, cereals and breads and jams. Nothing flashy, but definitely appreciated as we were paying so little for our stay anyway!

Room Tip: The dorms looked fairly cramped, with 3-tier bunkbeds. If you're only staying a few nights, consider getting a twin room with a friend, it's really not that much more in price.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Debbie_Northampton
Reviewed 17 December 2012

The atmosphere was depressing. Dark and dingy and just sucked the happiness out of me!

The showers were fairly dirty though not disgusting. The rest of the hostel was clean.

Seemed to be a different staff member each day. Most were helpful, one had a BIG attitude problem, or I caught him on a bad day. The kitchen was a good size for the size of the hostel (though wasn't as busy as high season i guess)

The locker was tiny I couldn't fit my hand luggage in even, just a satchel and coat.

The beds were ok, slept fine in them. The room was big although the bunks were triple ones. I managed to get a bottom bunk as it wasn't packed.

There was a projector that projected a huge picture of football onto the wall which was really good. The location was great too, being 30 seconds from the old town and 10 seconds from major tram/bus routes.

It was really cheap, only about 5 quid. But to be honest I'd rather have paid more, stayed a bit further away from the square The atmosphere was just so depressing!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Hanif87
Reviewed 13 November 2012

After getting my bearings at the central railway station, it was easy to find the street the hostel on. However, it was at night so I passed it because the sign is not well lit and it's in the Polish name,not the anglican name that I booked under (Benedict Hostel) and you have through a courtyard first. Climbing up the steps, there is a funny smell that I couldn't quite place, but i definitely smelled it every time i had to go up those stairs. The was only one person at the desk, so the poor thing was running around trying to accommodate everyone so it took about 15to 20mins before she could check me in. The rooms are tiny, but they squeeze people in using 3 story bunk beds. The people at the top have almost no head room. But it was clean. The bathroom was another story; only one bathroom for each gender for the entire hostel. The female one had only 2 shower stalls and 2 toilets. There was a line in the morning just to brush your teeth. And the drainage in the showers was bad because there was always water on the four. You could tell that both bathrooms used to be one room. The Kicthen was small but sufficient. Free breakfast was basic continent with cheese and cereal, which is not always common. The location was great, but I am glad I only had to stay one night!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Incredibly cheap hostel (5$ for a bed in dorm) in wonderful city of Kraków. Location - perfect. 15 minutes on foot from train/bus station, few steps away from the old town. To me - it was easy to find as it's very well signed. Dorm room - not really big and very basic, but ok. Enough toilets and showers for everyone. Nice social atmosphere of the place. Staff very kind and helpful. I didn't expected much paying so little money for a night, and in the end I was surprised - as the hostel is really nice, better than some 20-euro-per-night-in-dorm hostels I've stayed in Western Europe. Recommended.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 May 2012

We booked a double private room at this hostel. The location cannot be better, it's literally steps away from the main market square, which is exactly where you want to be in Krakow.
The hostel itself can be hard to find, but at the listed address, you have to enter something of a courtyard, and then another door, then go up 4 flights of stairs (I'm telling you this because if you don't know you'll have a confusing conversation with the receptionist at a polish insurance agency).

The people working the front desk are sometimes unable to speak understandable English, and when you get there you are hit with a couple of "hostel taxes" that were not made clear prior to booking, bad form if you ask me.
Also, besides having to pay upfront (which is fairly standard) you have to pay a $10 deposit for the key, which is also not identified upfront. We showed up with only a bit more polish money than what the room was supposed to cost, as we had only done a currency exchange and hadn't had the opportunity to hit a ATM withdrawl at that point. As well we ended up in a protracted arguement over their insistance that I give them our passports (which, frankly, is ridiculous as the room is paid for in advance).

The hostel itself is in poor repair. It's so dark inside you'd almost think to use a flashlight. The room is in poor repair as well, carpets are dirty, and the bathroom had holes cut into the wall with exposed pipes. The sink was poorly constructed, obviously of surplus parts, as the tap almost hung over the edge of the sink, soaking the floor whenever used. The shower masonry was falling apart, my gf refused to use it, and when I tried, the bottom of the shower filled with water because the drain was not working properly. The room we were in had no Wifi signal, despite that being advertised, and as we were planning our trip as we went, this was a reason we had booked there.

Standard hostel atmosphere, dozens of teenagers coming and going and making quite a racket, well into the night, but that didn't really bother us because you should know that when booking a hostel vs a hotel.

By European standards, the room is cheap, but compared to other Polish prices, it's not fantastic.

If you don't mind being a bit further away from the square, I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple