Himself and I booked into Heynow Hostel in a private twin room (#6 on level 2) with shared bathroom, staying four nights - Thursday through until Monday. Our overall experience was not one of a 'home away from home' but rather just a place to stay that's central. My experience is worse than Himself's but we agreed that we wouldn't want to stay here for very long and especially over a weekend. Please see my pros and cons below:
- Great location - almost right at the main square!
- Good price - only PLN560 for four nights
- Free wifi (strongest only in common areas)
- Free breakfast (but see below)
- Decent sized lounge area downstairs
- Decent sized dining area with three tables, each with four chairs/settings
- Decent sized kitchen
- Appears to be a 'quieter' hostel without huge groups of partiers
- Heater in our room and towel heater in the bathroom worked well
- Open 24hrs (but must buzz to get in the main door)
- Room was adequate in size and included bunk beds (more below), two large lockers (no lock provided), table, lamp and window that opened
- Walls and doors are paper thin; in our room we heard everything echoing through the outside corridor and beyond, including every minor detail from the bathroom next door (perhaps some carpets/rugs/plants/real doors that seal instead of flimsy metal ones would assist with noise reduction?)
- Bunk beds are very uncomfortable!! Not only was it flimsy and we were worried it would fall down in the middle of the night, the mattress is so thin that everything can be felt through it and no support is given (though Himself apparently slept well [with earplugs in], I had the four worst nights 'sleep' I've ever had, constantly with back pain and noise waking me up, the pain continuing through the day as I neared the end of our stay)
- Provided with linen but it seemed really old and the doona cover had some holes (no towel provided but one can be hired for PLN5)
- Only one bathroom provided for each floor and the toilet is inside, so queues can be lengthy
- Shower seemed good but the temperature was near impossible to control and continually fluctuated - scolding then stone cold, repeatedly.
- Bath mat existed in our bathroom (and others) for only nights 1 and 4 - don't mind not having one, but just seemed careless to provide then just take it away and not replace it
- Fridge smelt really off (and wasn't cleaned throughout our stay, despite it apparently being cleaned every Friday)
- Says to 'mark items that are yours in the fridge' but no markers or stickers were provided; I asked reception and was reluctantly given a marker and felt bad for asking
- Free breakfast is chocolate flavoured balls, chocolate flavoured flakes and cornflakes with milk, white bread and butter/jam as well as coffee and tea - if you fancy something proper for breakfast, consider bringing your own
- Throughout the weekend dishes were left abandoned in the kitchen sink and the state of the kitchen was generally messy; understand that this is not the hostel's fault, but there are no signs or guidance to remind everyone that it's their responsibility to clean up after themselves, rather than leaving it to mum
Overall, Heynow is in a great location and seems all new and modern but once you delve a little deeper, it's not so great. It has no atmosphere, seems rather cheap and guests appear not to be their main priority. In addition, we generally felt a nuisance to reception staff throughout the weekend and became reluctant to ask anything, although the Sunday night girl was lovely. We would not stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Our newly opened (June 2011) hostel is where history meets modernity. Feel the atmosphere of Krakow in a comfortable, cosy and quiet place, situated in a newly restored medieval building. You will find us on Florianska - the main street of Kraków, few steps (about 20, to be more specific) from the heart of the city - The Main Market Square. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HostelWorld and Hotels.com so you can book your Heynow Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.