“Wonderful!!”

Crystal Suites chez Helena
Ranked #8 of 442 Speciality Lodging in Krakow
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This place delivers every positive thing that reviewers have told about it. I stayed here for 6 nights, and there is no other place I would choose to stay in Krakow. Usually pictures for places end up being not quite as shown, but in this case, the apartments are even much better than shown in the pictures. The location is wonderful, it is right in the street where scenes from Schindler's List were shot, so there's quite a bit going on for good restaurants, tourist options, etc. Outside every night was beautiful live music (although I have to say I've now heard "If I were a rich man" a time too many). I had actually asked for a room with a balcony, but didn't get one. I ended up being very happy that I had a view of the street because then I could watch all of the action and hear the music at night (although if you want it quiet, the windows keep the noise out perfectly). The young people that work at reception were all so nice and so helpful. It was also so nice to have a washing machine after traveling for 3 weeks....have my own kitchen to cook and a coffee pot for coffee at the time I wanted it in the morning!
Location wise, to get to the main square takes about 15 minutes to walk, or 2 minutes to walk to the tram and it is one stop away and costs under a dollar.

My only complaints or actually just a note for improvement:
1. I was only given one large towel and it would be nice to have two provided (I did get an extra one, but just would have liked not to have to ask).

2. I know it is an apartment so there is not going to be cleaning every day. However, I think it would be nice to have a policy if a guest is going to stay a long time (like I did for 6 nights) that after every three nights that they would come in and remove the garbage, change out the towels, and provide more toilet paper. I ended up having to carry out my own garbage to reception and ask for more toilet paper. For such a nice place, that I too will say is 5 star quality, I didn't like having to do these things.

Room Tip: Depends on you....if you want a balcony looking over a quiet courtyard or a street view that you can...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Crystal Suites chez Helena

Reviewed 1 August 2014

My husband and stayed stayed here for four nights with our two adult daughters and it was just wonderful. We arrived at 6:30 am by overnight train from Prague, so had to wait for reception to arrive at 9 am... and then could only leave our bags and wait for the prior tenants to vacate. But the receptionist was apologetic and offered suggestions for how to spend the few hours, and then telephoned to let us know when the apartment was ready. Because he knew we were tired, he had the sofa bed prepared for sleeping... The apartment was beautiful -- comfortably furnished and air conditioned, with coffee and tea supplied in a small but very workable kitchen. The bed and sofa-bed were very comfortable, and the wi-fi worked well. At one point, one of the AC units was leaking, and it was promptly repaired; the receptionist offered a coupon for a nearby restaurant to compensate for our trouble. We needed to wash some clothes, and the receptionist quickly provided a drying rack. The various receptionists were always helpful with directions, reservations, recommendations, etc. Plus, the location is great. HIghly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at Chez Helena for four nights towards the end of July. Our first time in Krakow, but certainly not the last as we loved it - particularly Kazimierz.

Our apartment was at the top of the building facing away from the main street (with cafes and bars at street level). The apartment itself was easy on the eye, well-designed and spotlessly clean. It was lovely to explore the city and then come back to the quiet and cool of the apartment. The beds were very comfortable and, although the air con was a bit noisy at night time, we all slept very well. One thing to note if you are a light sleeper - there are no curtains at the windows.

The concierge who met us, and subsequent consierges on duty for the remainder of our stay, were friendly and informative. We were recommended several excellent restaurants (Starka - brilliant!) and the Stanley Kubrick exhibition (excellent). When we return to Krakow Chez Helena will be our first choice for accomodation.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Very nice place to stay in Krakow, in the middle of the Jewish quarter with nice restaurants around, but quiet apartment, very clean place, staff is very friendly and helpful, we felt very welcome, Krakow is also beautiful

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I agree with all the reviews that give Crystal Suites Chez Helena high ratings. My main concern is always having a quiet environment for sleeping, and they accomodated my request with a room toward the back, and I had no problems whatsoever with sound from the traffic/restaurants which are just outside the front door of the property. I didn't eat at any of the restaurants immediately nearby (though I did go for a 'zapiekanki' in the Old Square of Kazimierz...a highly recommended street-food experience), preferring instead to take advantage of the decent food market that's a 1-minute walk away, and the microwave/refrigerator in the room.
It's a very short walk from the Tram 50 stop (Miodowa St.) which gets you to/from the Main train station and the Old Town (although it's only a pleasant 20-minute walk as well....and also about a 20-minute walk to the Schindler factory, across the river in Podgorze).
During my 3-day stay, there were several different (all college-age) staff, each on whom was very helpful with translations, directions, etc...
Wifi worked well, and the TV worked fine (although can't watch from the bedroom) with hundreds of channels (the usual few English-language options). There are several conveniences, such as the in-room safe and the hair dryer (and I would have liked to use the in-room washing machine, but the property has no dryer, so the only option there would be the garden chairs, but wasn't an option given the cool, drizzly days during my stay).
The only small 'complaint' I'd have is that the plastic chairs in the kitchen/eating/tv room aren't very comfortable, either for eating, watching, or reading (and those are the only 'sitting' options in the unit I was in, #2).
Taking the bus from near the main train station to the airport is very convenient (and cheap), but I'd advise checking out where to catch it in advance, and to allow more time than you'd think, as there is MASSIVE construction going on at the airport.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Overall, this is a very solid option in the Kazimierz section of Krakow. Some strong pros and cons. First, the pros: pretty great apartment-style lodging. Good room size, small kitchen which is very convenient, great location in terms of exploring the Kazimierz and seeing many of the primary Krakow sites, good price/value. 3 out of 4 staff we interacted with were just fantastic -- friendly, helpful, multi-lingual, etc. Good wifi. Cons: no elevator (so significant stair-climbing if staying in the top floor apartment), the Kazimierz is a kind of gauntlet of restaurants and tour vehicles and so on that you have to run each time you go in our out of the room, and the showers are a bit low-volume and difficult to drain. No breakfast on property, although plenty of options in the neighborhood (only after 9am -- early breakfast is pretty limited, or at least difficult for us to find)

I would suggest staying here if you want to be in the Kazimierz (it honestly seems like a great choice within that neighborhood), and/or if you want a self-catering apartment style lodging. And again -- 75% chance of a great staff interaction, with super nice and helpful people to give directions and guidance in Krakow if you are new to the area. Good quality of furnishings, pretty good quality bed.

Room Tip: Top floor has features of a typical attic - very cool in some regards, but tough for tall guests in...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 June 2014

A really beautiful apartment right in the middle of the Kazimierz district; the place were you want to be! We found this place good value with friendly staff. Don't hesitate to book this apartment; you will love it!
One little drawback: the next door's (optional) breakfast was rubbish, especially the dough shaped as a croissant ;-)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple