“I don't care...I love it!”
Review of Fortuna Hotel

Fortuna Hotel
Ranked #126 of 259 Hotels in Krakow
“I don't care...I love it!”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

I was a bit taken aback when walking into my room for the first time, the decor is quite dated, but it added a certain charm to the place. The rooms are massive, there are two large beds in the room, so being on my own, I had a choice. I chose the one by the window, and I still slept amazingly well, despite the trams going past through the night. Perhaps I found the noise restful. I cannot sleep in the heat, the room was plenty cool without any air conditioning. Well, it was May, so not mid-summer, maybe don't stay there in mid-summer if you're not good with heat.

The reception staff were very helpful, without any prompting, they gave me a map of Krakow and marked some must see places on it, as well as the hotel so I could find my way back easily. They stored my luggage after I came in on the night train from Prague. Would've liked to lie down, but that was a bit much to expect checking in at 6am.

The restaurant didn't seem very popular except for the free breakfast, but the food was amazing, Masterchef standard. All the staff were very friendly, despite me speaking hardly a word of Polish, their English was excellent. This included the restaurant staff member, she must work incredibly hard, she was there at breakfast and there at night too. The best Barscht, beetroot soup I had in Poland was in that restaurant, they must have a pretty great chef out the back. This is despite my new Polish sister-in-law taking me to her favourite restaurants. The breakfast was free, did I mention that, and also very good. The full range of Central European breakfast options were available, it was much better than the next hotel I stayed at. I stayed a total of six nights in Krakow, but each hotel I stayed only two nights, so I could experience all the city had to offer.

Free wifi was available in the rooms, no tea and coffee facilities which I always like, but can't have everything I guess. It is just a short walk from the city centre, I carted my suitcases all the way from the train station, taxis were a little scarce at 6am when I got in.

I would definitely recommend this hotel, it is lovely and charming. I think the price must've been reasonable or I wouldn't have booked it. The cost of flights from the other side of the world meant I set myself a strict accommodation budget.

Room Tip: Maybe not on the left hand side when looking in through the front door if you can't sleep with t...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jody W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Round Rock, Texas
Reviewed 2 August 2013 via mobile

Our stay was enjoyable and unique. We had a ground floor room. The trolley ran by our open window (no AC) until midnight and started at 6 am. The room was clean and quaint. The breakfast was adequate and nutritious. I feel the fee for the room (4 people) was a little steep but it was the going rate for the area.

• Stayed July 2013
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

This may not be the most up-to-date of hotels and you should not expect the pointless add-ons of some hotels. Instead, this place has lots of character and the staff were fantastically helpful. Decent breakfast too.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank thepe
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The reception staff could not be more helpful in this very old and charming hotel comprising 25 rooms - singles, doubles, family. The last renovation appears to have been completed 25 years ago. An update is required to attract future customers as modern international hotels are available nearby. Room floorboards are noisy. The location is very good - 15 minute walk to main Krakow locations (Main Square, Wawel Castle). Sadly, the breakfast was woeful with insufficient quality & quantity of hot food. The restaurant has character but little space. Overall, good value at £75 per room per night, including breakfast. But the poor breakfast experience will reduce repeat custom.

Room Tip: Do ask for a quiet room as the trams start running soon after 5am and the front rooms are very noisy...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I rarely give hotels 'Excellent'. But this place was truly perfect for what I expected and needed. First...follow your GPS if driving. There is a Fortuna Hotel Bis down the street. Don't stop there. It's a pain getting parked then having to move again.

The room was HUGE in comparison to most EU hotel rooms. Bathroom extremely clean and spacious. Grand old building with HUGE ceilings. But what really struck me was how well I slepts. It's rare I sleep so hard in a hotel. But with a small crack in the window, the dry heat was kept at bay, and I slumbered like a baby.

The desk seemed to be staffed by 3 individuals who where ALWAYS there. They were extremely friendly and helpful with directions, etc. We had a car so we had the pleasure of carefully navigating the tight squeeze into the carpark behind the hotel each day. But the staff was so eager to assist.

The breakfast was nice. They were not busy so the hostess seemed to want to cook you to order every morning. It felt like I was the only one in the hotel they way she took care of me.

Location-wise...its okay. After getting to know the city a bit, I may have chosen to stay on the other side of the square. But this worked for me well. This was a perfect choice for us.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Jersey City, New Jersey
Reviewed 20 December 2012

I am recently back from a five night stay at the Fortuna.

I was booked into their single room, it was small, but certainly roomy enough. I loved the high ceilings and old worldy feel.
The room had a single bed, with comfortable linens. the comforter kept me warm and cozy.
The bathroom was modern and clean, and the water pressure was strong and came out nice and hot. After a freezing day out in the cold, a long hot shower felt wonderful and much appreciated!!!
The TV had one English station which was a British news broadcast. It continually repeated maybe 6 stories over and over and over. No problem, I wasn't in Krakow to watch tv, but I do keep it on when I'm in the room, so that station drove me crazy after awhile, and I switched to Polish tv!
Water was provided, but I did miss having a coffee pot in the room, I guess I have become spoiled, but I love a cup first thing as I wake up.

The breakfast provided was really good, and in a really pleasant breakfast room (amazing ceiling!) with a great little buffet of Polish delicacies , plus cereal, fruit and yogurt for those who prefer something light in the mornings. Excellent coffee, and a variety of teas, as I recall.
I loved trying deviled eggs and pickles for breakfast, and I liked the lard spread which was available every morning.

The whole Fortuna experience was pleasant, but I think the reason I left with such a great impression was because of the kindness of one particular staff member. Agatha.
She really was kindness defined… She went out of her way, every time I encountered her ! The first morning, as I went in for breakfast, there wasn’t an available table, and she kindly went into the room and made sure that I was seated promptly, later on that night, she ran outside in the freezing cold without a coat to see if my taxi was outside…and I could list other things she did as well, just superb.
Its not like she was trying to make me feel like a VIP (though she did) – it was more like she is just a special human being that made me feel warm inside. Very special, indeed. Fortuna Hotel should be proud to have her represent them.

I highly recommend Fortuna Hotel

• Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank nellynel
Caldwell, Idaho
Reviewed 5 December 2012

This is an old hotel and original flooring dating back hundreds of years, very tall tall ceilings. We had a corner room with windows on both sides of the streets, you can look out and people watch. They have a great breakfast, and the staff is extremely accomodating!! They were very friendly and helpful!!!! This location is wonderful for walking distance to the square, you can even take a horse carriage ride from the square back to the hotel.
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED HOTEL!! LOVED THIS PLACE!
THIS WAS OUR HIGHEST RATING BASED OFF OF SERVICE --- GREAT STAFF!!!!!!!

Room Tip: CORNER ROOM IS GOOD, MORE WINDOWS, FRESH AIR!! They also have a private, safe, courtyard in the ba...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family