“A trip back in time”

Ranked #21 of 318 things to do in Krakow
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: First founded in 1364, this integral part of Krakow life has many distinguished alumni including distinguished Polish intellectuals, political leaders and well-known international figures like Nicolaus Copernicus and Pope John Paul II. The Collegium Maius is the oldest surviving building of the university.
Reviewed 21 October 2013

Funded by King and Queen its traditions are ancient. We saw the beautiful main lecture hall, the Senate's meeting room/library, the treasures ancient and new, the professors' rooms including that of Copernicus complete with his original ancient equipment. The guide was exceptionally clear, distinct, with perfect English and very willing to answer questions. On the whole an extraordinary visit which I would have missed but for some advice I got before leaving home.

1  Thank Tony C
All reviews
"scientific instruments"
in 19 reviews
"guided tour"
in 38 reviews
"oldest universities in europe"
in 11 reviews
"two hours"
"take photos"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed 20 October 2013

My husband and I arrived here early on our last day. We walked through the courtyard and were very impressed. It's so beautiful and just the thought that this is one of Europe's oldest seats of learning, educating Copernicus no less, was astounding.

We went to buy tickets for the guided tour but were told that the next tour was not for over an hour. 'Never mind' we though, we'll buy tickets, have a look around and then join the tour when it began. However, we were told that we could not have a look around unless with a tour. Again we thought, 'Never mind' we'll stroll around the Cloth Hall, do a little shopping and come back. The sales assistant then said that there probably wouldn't be any tickets left if we did that.

I know she probably wanted us to buy tickets before we left so we didn't miss out, but we were not sure where Krakow would take us that morning and so the trip left us feeling a little disappointed.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

As an entering student into the Jagiellonian University for one semester, this was exciting for me.
The ceilings were by far my favorite. The geometry of the bricks and the painted scenes in the ceiling made for a gorgeous combination.
Our guide spoke pleasant English and gave us all enough time to take pictures where we were allowed and to browse at our leisure.

Make sure you spot the Oscar amongst the Collegium's collection!

1  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I had read nothing about this attraction and went because my spouse wished to. It was great. Seeped in history. We had a great guide. It always intrigues me to learn how much was going on in Europe when America was a wilderness.

1  Thank rastokes6