“GRANDE HOTEL IS JUST THAT...GRANDE”
Review of Grand Hotel

Grand Hotel
Ranked #88 of 262 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 21 June 2011

My family and I stayed here in April 2011. The hotel is grande in its appearance. History is in abundance here...a short walk to the city square...horse drawn carriages the works. It appears medievil in nature like it has been untouched in centuries. Hotel staff were very courteous and friendly. We had a triple room on the first level which was large enough for three adults. Excursions to Auchwitz and salt mines were easy to arrange. Great value for money. Only stayed for 3 days should have stayed a lot longer.

Room Tip: All rooms great value for money
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank CORCO55

Reviewed 26 March 2011

Centrally located hotel.The Grand is what I would describe as a classic hotel in terms of decor,furniture etc. It has old fashioned class,but is not dated. Everywhere within the hotel is well maintained,exceptionally clean and charming.
The room was a good size,and again very clean. Only thing lacking was tea/coffee making facilities.
The staff were extremely polite and helpful and gave us their full attention when required.
The only meal we ate in the hotel was breakfast. Again,the breakfast room was extremely clean,and the choice of food was more than enough for any taste.
The only real negative point is that there was a nightclub opposite our room,and on the Thursday night there was some noise from clubbers,but again it wasn't horrendous and only lasted 2/3 minutes.
All in all an excellent hotel,and would stay there again

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank husbandoftheboss
Reviewed 24 February 2011

The location is perfect, you can walk to everything and there is still quiet at night. Rooms size is ok - comfortable beds. Breakfast very good. The hotel is old but has charm and are well maintained. We arrived early, but was allowed to check in at 9 am. Smiling service all the way. Recommended!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ducati40
Reviewed 8 January 2011

The Grand Hotel in Krakow exudes the old style glamour expected of a classic 5 star hotel. The staff are warm and welcoming as are the surroundings which immediately make you feel that you have arrived somewhere special. My friend and I stayed for 4 nights and they couldn't do enough for us and our room was beautiful and spotlessly clean as were the public areas. The buffet breakfast wasn't huge but there was plenty of choice inc scrambled and boiled eggs, bacon, beans, polish sausages, cold meats, cereal, yoghurt, bread and jams. We were on the 1st floor and the only problem that exists in cities is that is can be quite noisy at night but not in any way related to the hotel. The hotel is located 1 block from main market square where you will find many bars, cafes and restaurants. Poland offers extremely good value with a glass of Proscecco at just over £2 and cocktails around £3-4 and snacks from £2-3 upwards. We found the people mainly friendly and accommodating. There are little electric cars that offer tours round Krakow which is an interesting and cheap option as the local guides give you more information than you would get in a book and they are more than happy to stop and wait for you to take photos.

We hired one of these drivers for the day to take us to Auschwitz / Birkenau and the Salt Mines which was better than going on an organised tour and we had a people carrier to ourselves as well as a personal guide who took us to a local Polish restaurant for lunch near the Wooden Village so worth checking this option out.

Auschwitz was a truly horrifying memorial of the war and the people who perished but it cannot be believed until you see it with your own eyes. Our guide Simon was fab although he obviously still had strong feelings about what happened there to his countrymen. I had heard that no birds fly over the site and he said this was a myth but I kid you not there was not a bird in sight or any sound until you went outside the gates where there were a few crows. A visit to Krakow would not be complete without visiting here and its well worth the hour or so journey and its something I will never forget because the images are so haunting. Simon made is clear that this is not a tourist attraction but a museum and had to be treated with respect so no eating or drinking on the tour. Wrap up warm as you spend quite a bit of time outside especially at Birkenau.

We also visited the Salt Mines but beware you have to walk down hundreds of steps but its worth it to see the fully functioning chapel 100m below ground. Not for those with mobility problems or claustrophobia!

We ate at lots of really good restaurants and cafes but the one that really stood out was Scandale Royale which was one block away from the hotel in Plac Szczepanski This is a really lovely cocktail bar and restaurant serving 1st class food cooked by a French Chef. Despite the quality, cocktails were around £3-4 and the meal for two including drinks was £30.

There are also nice individual shops for the ladies as well as countless shoe shops.

I would like to go back with my Husband and would definitely stay at the Grand again

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank lynncarr2016
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Ah, good old Polska, home sweet home! I can't believe I haven't reviewed this place, we were here in January 2010! While I wouldn't recommend coming to Poland in January (it was sooooo cold, ok freezing!), we had no choice since we had a very sudden death in the family and 2 days notice to get there. So, off we went.

The hotel is right in the heart of Krakow, awesome location. We were only here for one night since the rest of the time was spent with family in a city 2 hours away, but we will definitely stay here on our next trip (we go every 3 years or so to see my family). You can walk everywhere and the staff is very accommodating.

The hotel itself is beautiful. We wandered the halls and it seemed more castle than hotel like. The staff does speak English, but since we spoke Polish fluently they spoke to us in our language. Highly recommended. And if you find yourself in Poland, have a zapiekanka. Many places close to the hotel sold them out of windows that you access from the sidewalk. It's the Polish version of street food!

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank OceanLove3
Reviewed 14 November 2010

I stayed here for two days, and I found the hotel very charming and comfertable. It's a classic hotel, that has keept it's atmosphere of the past when the hotel was the residence of a Polish prince. It says 5 star, but for me it doesn't fulfill all the requirements for a 5 star. However it was perfect for my stay, the room was good. Good bed, some noise from the street at night. The staff was very helpful and polite. There was just one thing that irritated me, and it's not the first time.: When checking out and asked if I had taken anything from the minibar I sad no, because I never do take anything from the minibar. However the maid had register that I had taken a wine. When a hotel has a minibar in the room, I do expect that they have so much control of the minibar, that they do not "accuse" guest of taking something from the minibar when they haven't. The receptionist accepted my explanation so it's ok, but I do get annoyed about it. I tried the gym at the hotel, it's just a small room with few equipements, and a "suicide" threadmill. It's ok if you are used to doing elementary excercises, but if you usually go to a professianal gym, you will be disappointed about this gym. The location of the hotel is like 1 minute walk from the main square in the old city. Perfect location if you ask me.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2010

"+": An absolutely wonderful hotel. Arrived on a busy weekend, all flights grounded due to ash cloud and trains over-booked; nevertheless, hotel was able to let us extend our stay - even kept the same room! The staff had great suggestions for local restaraunts and the hotel itself is almost right on the main square. Absolutely fantastic location!
"-": I enjoyed the view out of the room's wide windows, however the windows are not sound-proofed and light sleepers may be awaked by early morning drunks - other than that, the rooms are fairly quiet - outside road is not very busy with vehicle traffic.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple