Hotel Copernicus
US$124
Agoda.com
US$80
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsoldest streetrelais chateauxwawel castleold townsmall poolbeautiful hotelheated floorsthe main squarequiet streetsitting roomperfect locationrooms are largeunderfloor heatinghotel restaurantrooftop barvisit auschwitzjunior suite
Reviewed 26 August 2008

Just back from a 3 night stay at Hotel Copernicus. The bride/groom of the wedding I was going there to attend suggested it and many of the reviews on Trip Advisor reviewed it positively. Unfortunately it did not live up to my expecatations and this was mainly do to the incredibly poor sound proofing of the rooms.

After the 1st night and having heard the guest in the room next to us enjoying themselves plus morning noises of people in their rooms preparing for breakfast (therefore not a place to sleep in), I requested a room change to a quieter room. The hotel staff was very accomodating and gave me 2 options, one on the 3rd floor and one on the 1st. As the 1st floor room had windows on to the attrium where i expected to hear all the clatter of the breakfast, I opted to stay on the 3rd with the window above the glass attrium and only 1 room adjacent to ours.

Well, that was all in vain given around 8am the next morning the other guests and cleaning staff may as well have been in our room with us as you could hear every laugh, footstep or cough. On our last night there I was awoken around 1am by the room adjacent to ours simply by the 2 guest having a conversation. I am not that light of a sleeper so unless you plan on getting up at 7:30 or can sleep through anything, it is a pricey hotel to have paper walls.

As for other negatives, the shower pressure was very poor and the fitting actually came off on our 2nd day but they fixed it while we were out that afternoon. The TV in the room didn't have sound on many of the channels and although we weren't there to watch TV, again it was not in keeping with a relais chateaux hotel. There is a pool but it is tiny and the fitness room has 4 very old looking machines, no mirrors, weights or pretty much anything to make you want to be in the room.

On the positive side, as I mentioned, the staff were very helpful and accomodating. On one morning we arrived at 10:30 for breakfast (from 7:30-10;30) and they were more than happy to serve us cooked breakfasts, which were tasty.

They have a cozy library w/free internet access from a computer there. The location is probably the best asset of the hotel, right b/w the castle and the main sq.

One last suggestion, if you do bring your ear plugs and choose to stay there, just get a taxi off the street near the main sq to take you back to the airport. The hotel uses a premium service and for such a short ride (15-20min), the 50plz premium isn't worth it.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hudson67
Reviewed 4 June 2008

gorgeous rooms. Ours was huge with frescoes aplenty and a fantastic modern bathroom. Brilliant location at the foot of the palace with the main square only 5 minutes away. Loads of restaurants nearby. Staff are discreet (as in subtle), but very happy to provide loads of information and arrange tours if asked. Although you can book up Auschwitz and Saltmines through the many Tourist Information spots, it only costs an extra couple of euros to get a private pick up from the hotel, saves a trek through town and well worth it. Breakfast was good if you like cooked eggs and so on, not so brilliant if you're only after pastries, cold meats/cheese etc although you won't starve either way. It was a little bit noisy with the main clock chiming every 15 minutes during the night but I guess most places nearby will suffer this too.

Personally, I didn't find the salt mines unmissable so if you only have a couple of days you must visit Auschwitz. It's a very well guided tour, giving you a lot of information for you to make your own reflections, without having harrowing images forcing the points. That trip includes Berkenau and will take from 9am until around 3.30. Definitely not a fun day out but a very memorable visit.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2008

This is a beautifully renovated old canon's house in a charming pedestrianised side street just a few minutes walk from Market Square. It is not flashy and loud so if you want the bright lights it is not for you. If however you want lovely rooms (ours had the original wooden ceiling and frescoes), very polite and helpful staff, a wonderfully bright atrium for breakfast (eggs etc cooked to order and delicious coffee, as well as smoked salmon etc etc), then this is definitely the place to stay. There is a small swimming pool and dining room but we did not try these. We found it perfect in every way and would rank it as our favourite hotel in Europe. Krakow is vibrant and fun, but it is well worth taking a day out to visit Auschwitz and Birkenau. We were going to go by bus (as an experience) but were accosted at the station by Lucien who offered to take us in his taxi for a small fee! It really was worth it - excellent driver, clean car, and I doubt we would have seen Birkenau without him as it is a long walk from Auschwitz..

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 February 2008

After reading the web site(on my return) I am amazed to hear any negatives about this hotel. Having spent the last few weeks in th e maldivess and cyprus in 5 star hotels receiving the most amazing service I would thoroughly recommend the Copernicus for a city break. We arrived to a very welcome geeeting from the manager with thorough and detailed information on how to see the sights we wished...namely Aushwitz and the salt mines and to this end they arranged our trips at no great cost (120zloty each) which for a full day with guide and costing no more than £25.00 each was an absolute bargain. The rooms can be a little warm but we opened our window...voila!.The breakfast was excellent and consisted of eggs, cereal ,smoked salmon and to be quite honest anything you could have wanted....I recommend the soft boiled eggs...utterly perfect,,,,all I can say is if you wish to move to the starck and satinless steel sheraton (which I am sure is as good) you need your culture taste buds reigniting, the rack rates are exoensive but book through an agent and your problems are solved...we walked everywhere as the hotel was such a great location for the sights and what a wonderful place krakow is.....an emotional visit to Auchwitz, an amazing salts mine experience, try a kebab on the street ( I never thought I would but worth it) and walk as much as you can..its beautiful...and for those that want more...book the baros at the maldives...you get the service but not the sights!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank michelleatwork
Reviewed 4 February 2008

I have just returned from a 3 night weekend break in krakow. we stayed in the hotel copernicus having checked it out on trip advisor and other sites, and I must say we weren't disappointed. on arrival we were informed we had been upgraded to a luxury suite, our room was fantastic..high wooden ceilings, lovely bed, big plasma tv, gorgeous bathroom with heated marble floors and plenty of l'occitane toiletries with a really nice view from the window up to wawel castle.

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and I really only have good things to say about them...I see that previous reviews were dissatisfied with the staff, and i cant help but feel that perhaps a small amount of warmth and friendliness is required in order for staff to return it!

Food in the restaurant was excellent, we had dinner which was probably our nicest meal in krakow. Breakfast was nice, the scrambled eggs with bacon are really tasty. All in all a fabulous experience, you really do feel like your getting something a bit different with a bit of history thrown in for good measure!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled as a couple