“Wentzl WOW”
Review of Hotel Wentzl

Hotel Wentzl
Ranked #15 of 262 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 30 June 2008

I booked the Wentzl as was talking my wife away for a birthday treat and we weren't disappointed- it was a great hotel.

I booked direct with the hotel so as could specify the room so it overlooked the square and we got rm 34 which was a great room with a great view- only minor gripe was no bath but weather was scorching hot so not that bothered about soak in the bath. But that aside the room was really nice and comfortable- it was decorated nicely and had things like complimentary bathrobes/slippers/toiletries etc which was appreciated.

The staff were exremely helpful and pleasant too and couldn't o enough to be of assistance.

Breakfast was a good spread and lovely restaurant

All in all highly recommended

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dondo
Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed 21 June 2008

We have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Wentzl. Room 34 with a view onto the Market Square. Very comfy bed, lovely furnishings and bathroom amenities including bathrobes and slippers. Only one very small problem, we only had a large shower cubicle and not a bath. After a very busy day sightseeing my hubby likes to soak in the bath before going out for the evening. We had a leak from the air conditioning unit which we reported immediately and reception sent someone up straight away and the problem was solved. The breakfast was a choice of several cooked items plus a very good buffet of the usual toast, croissants, cereals, cold meats and cheeses also fresh fruits, yoghurts etc.
It is the only hotel which is actually on the Market Square and is in the perfect location. Very safe to wander ahout day or night, plenty of restaurants and bars in the area. The hotel is not cheap, but we had no noisy revellers wakening us up in the middle of the night returning to their rooms.
We probably won,t return to Krakow, if we did we would stay at the Wentzl again but request a room with a bath!!

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ????
Reviewed 5 June 2008

My wife and I visited Krakow in early May 2008 and stayed at the Wentzl for three nights. I booked quickly and easily with the hotel directly via email and we had no trouble getting checked in once we got there. The central square is a 5-10 minute walk from the main train station, but we found it easily. In my opinion, walking from the train station to the hotel was a great way to get a quick feel for the city.
The hotel itself is located directly on the main square, so we couldn't ask for a better location. However, there were the obvious downsides like noise from street performers during the day and the occassional loud reveler at night. With the windows closed, though, there were no issues. I remember laying in the bed one afternoon after a nap and looking out the window at the spires of the Church of the Virgin Mary. Very nice. It was also nice to wake up in the morning, open up the windows and look out on everybody wandering around below. We even watched a bit of the Krakow marathon go by one drizzly morning.
The only real complaint we had was the issue they were having with the plumbing while we were there. For some reason the hot water either didn't work at all or came and went in our shower. It took them a couple of days to get it fixed, and even then, it was very finicky. I expected a little better plumbing out of such a nice hotel
The plumbing aside, we thought the hotel was great. You can't beat the location for a break from sightseeing during the day or stumbling home in the evening from a basement pub.

1  Thank mtclark1182
Reviewed 1 June 2008

Just back from a three night stay at the Wentzl. We stayed in room 22 - a good sized room looking directly out on to the main square. (You will easily take postcard quality photos from your bedroom window if you book a room overlooking the square.) The view and location is probably where your money goes but we found the hotel very comfortable with a very good breakfast and very convenient. The price gives you some extras such as bathrobes, slippers and toilteries, etc. and free tea an coffee. The hotel kindly looked after our suitcase on the day of our checkout. For that special trip we would recommend the Wentzl.

2  Thank tommo46
Reviewed 26 May 2008

Well, I travel a lot too and I couldn't speak more highly of the hotel and management at Hotel Wentzl. The hotel itself is incredible and we were lucky enough to have a fabulous room overlooking the market square. The staff were incredible at the front desk always making great restaurant recommendations, booking tours and going out of their way in every respect. It is actually one of the best service levels I have received from a European hotel. Although I booked 2 nights for my parents, they didn't ending up using the first because they decided to stay with relatives at the last minute. Much to my surprise, they were not charged for the room and instead were welcomed warmly the next day. When we arrived, we were horribly lost driving so I went to the hotel asked directions and then the concierge ended up coming in our car and directing us exactly where we need to go so that the car could be valet parked. If that is not superb service, I am not sure what is!!!

1  Thank SwitzerlandAnonymous
Reviewed 30 April 2008

The hotel is in a very good location and the staff is polite, but the management is the worst we have ever encountered and we travel quite a lot.

When we arrived we were given a new modern room on the 4th floor. The room was designed in a way that the floor was on the exact same level as the floor in the bathroom including the shower (no steps, nothing to block the water). After unpacking we went out and got back at 4 am (nightlife in Krakow is amazing). I took a shower and when I finished I saw that the water from the shower spilled onto the floor in our room. So being tired and knowing that there is no housekeeping staff in the hotel at night ( they leave everyday around 4 pm - we found that out when we arrived and had other problems) I decided to wipe the floor in the room with the remaining towels and leave them in bathroom. Next morning right before we left my husband mentioned to the girls cleaning our room about the incident. When we came back to refresh ourselves before dinner we were notified that we damaged the hardwood floor in the room and the bed cover which cannot be wet and it absorbed some water and we are going to be charged for REPAIRING THE WHOLE FLOOR IN THE ROOM and NEW BED COVER! Supposedly, our fault was in not reporting this incident right away because the hotel would have moved us to a new room. YES... AT 4 AM in the morning all I want is to call somebody from the front desk to examine the wet floor and then pack and unpack in a new room...... THIS WAS RIDICULOUS! They made it sound like we did this on purpose. I explained what happened but they had to investigate this incident on their own. This of course ruined our evening.... Their accusations made us feel terrible. When we came back after dinner to check if their investigation was over we were informed that the damage to the floor could not have been caused in one night by the small amount of water from the shower DUH!!!! We checked out the next day and the woman in the front desk said that WE SHOULD BE VERY HAPPY THAT THEY DIDN'T CHARGE US FOR THE DAMAGE because it was our fault that we didn't report it....

Well after what happened I can't recommend this hotel to anyone because they treat their guests like criminals who on purpose want to damage their hotel. There are other nice (even nicer) hotels in the same location as Wentzl and I hope their management is a lot better.

• Stayed: April 2008
19  Thank kaslon
Reviewed 23 April 2008

Me and my parents went to Krakow for a 4 night break.

The Wentzl was a great base as being on the main square you had everything on your doorstep.

My room was a single (but definitely large enough for two people) and had the most amazing views over the square. There was some noise, but nothing the air con unit didn't drown out.

My parents had a room that was large and luxurious but without the view I had, just a small balcony overlooking some rooftops.

The hotel was clean, well maintained and had a spanking new lift, free internet connection and a fabulous restaurant serving traditional polish fare mixed in with italian specialities.

In the room, there is a flat screen tv plus DVD player tucked into the cabinet underneath, plus tea and coffee making facilities.

The staff we found to be polite but not friendly - they did not speak very good english which didn't help but we managed to get everything we needed including a map of the town without any fuss.

Overall, highly recommended for the traveller needing somewhere extremely comfortable to rest up after lots of walking and culture in the beautiful, historical city of Krakow.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple