“Fantastic hotel”

Ranked #11 of 259 Hotels in Krakow
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel”
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I was really pleased with this place, the staff where very friendly, polite and helpful. The hotel itself is spotless and the room we had was perfect. The rooms are a good size had it had a really comfy bed. We where also lucky enough to get a great view of the main square and the cloth hall. There was also a twice daily room service so you always had plenty of tea and coffee and they turned you bed down in the evening. We got breakfast too, and it was very good - a superb mix of meats, fish, cheeses, breads, pates and hot stuff like bacon and eggs, scrambled eggs etc. Would happily stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms over looking the main square have great views, but the main square can get noisy at the weeken...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 31 January 2014

The location of the hotel is exquisite. Yet, and I don't think I'm a particularly picky person, I didn't find it living up to some of the other ratings. I was on the second floor with a great view but the room was quiet small unlike what some of the other reviewers mention. There was a weird, loud noise coming from the bathroom frequently from the night. They had two pillow sizes, too large and too small and no other options available. The staff - didn't really seem to care that much. I asked for artificial sweetner for my coffee for breakfast and the answer was 'we don't have it' so I went back to my room to get some. When I asked for a 1230 checkout I was told this was not possible but this was midweek in January with low occupancy, they didn't really seem to care or want to help. I might stay there again if I could bring my own pillows and if I could get a nicer room. I did love the location. But it really could have been better if the hotel management tried just a bit harder.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank drpsb
PawelMusial, Kierownik at Hotel Wentzl, responded to this review, 12 February 2014
Thank you for your comment. We are really sorry that you did not fully
enjoy the stay with us. Because your feelings are important to us I let
myself to explain couple of things.

In our hotel we have 2 room categories: standard and delux. Standard
rooms are 17square meters, delux rooms are 24 to 38 square meters. Probably
your reservation was made for standard (smaller )room.
Regarding the pillows we have available on request also U.S. standard
size pillows 20"x26".
I am sorry for the incident at breakfast. It was probably
misunderstanding ( waitress fault ) because artificial sweetener is
available in the restaurant.
Our check out time is at 12.00 but we agree for late check out when we have
no reservation for the room.
If you come to Cracow again please consider to check Hotel Wentzl again.
You can choose the room you like the best , viewing our room gallery , we
will prepare medium pillows for you. I am sure that you will not be
disappointed again.

Kind regards
Pawel Musial
Hotel Wentzl manager
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

The location is simply outstanding! Our room on one of the top floors had picturesque view of the beautiful main market and old town square. You have no need to worry about loud noises keeping you up at night, as Krakow is a peaceful and charming town! The room itself is nicely furnished, modern, clean and comfortable. Hotel staff were very friendly and always willing to give tips and advice about restaurants and sight seeing. If you like historic boutique hotels - then you will not find a better place,

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Roshy10
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We've stayed for 3 nights. The room was clean and nicely decorated, overlooking the main square and the cathedral. The staff was very helpful. We were offered assistance with parking our car within walking distance. I can't say anything about breakfast as we haven't taken it in the hotel. If we come again, we'll definately stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 January 2014

The location is simply outstanding, right on the picturesque main market square in the old city, with hundreds of restaurants, scenic places to visit, and shops within a few minutes walk.
All the rooms have views of the square, we were in a double lux/twin lux, which had a huge super king sized bed and a rollaway bed for our daughter, still with room for a desk but it was just a bit tight. The hotel website unusually shows all the rooms, with pictures of the interior and the room sizes. Rooms in this category are 24- 33m2, ours was number 34 at 24m2. Check out the rooms and pick the decor and size that suits your preference, remember to press the "translate" option when you go to the hotel website to see it in English.
Rooms have large cupboards with just a few shelves, no chest of drawers, but have an electronic safe, ironing board, large heated towel rail in the bathroom, flat screen TV, and a stocked mini-bar as well as a Nespresso coffee machine with pods replaced daily or more frequently as required.
The reception staff are really friendly and go out of their way to help in any way they can.
A real plus is that WI-FI is FREE for unlimited devices and very fast, around 8-10,000 Mbps.
The Slodki Wentzl just 2 doors away offers fantastic deserts, try their lemon sherbet ice-cream !!!
So, what are the negatives ?
a) the breakfasts are a very limited buffet plus choice of eggs and completely uninspiring overall. When asked for bacon & eggs I got fried eggs with the bacon mixed in with it, which I had never come a cross before ( tasted awful), order of poached eggs arrived fried, order of soft boiled eggs was over cooked. My daughter was begging us to take her out for breakfast elsewhere.
b) the bedding is sub standard, cheap linen, well used and piled, for some weird reason we got two single duvets instead of a double, we also had this in Riga, Latvia so maybe it's an Eastern European thing, but the duvets themselves felt like heavy blankets.
c) the aircon remote never worked properly, couldn't turn it on, somehow they did this for me but we couldn't get it to turn it on/off so had to leave it on all the time, couldn't manage the temperature of the room, very annoying.
d) bathroom was very small, single basin, small glass shelf above so with 3 people had to leave moist of our toiletries stacked on the bathroom floor, shower only which was ok but the shower head kept sliding down the pole.
e) I like a very thin feather pillow, and they only had very thick synthetic pillows so I had to go buy a feather pillow from Zara Home store at the Galleria shopping centre ( very large centre only 10 min walk away)- I do think they should keep some alternative choices of pillows and put a double duvet on a double bed.
I would definitely go back, but would choose a different room, and would have our breakfasts at one of the many adjacent restaurants.
For the iPad users out there here's a tip- the only place you can buy pre-paid SIM cards for Internet is the Galleria za shopping centre, go to the "i" shop downstairs that sells Apple computers & devices and buy a 1Gb starter nano-SIM for 15 Zloty (approx 3.5 Euro). One of the kiosks in the centre if the corridor also sells these. NB- only the Plus network sells nano- sized sim's, yep Im not kidding, Orange & T Mobile do NOT. It's a bit of a mission and very old fashioned but you need to go to the Plus shop on the same floor and buy a top-up voucher code, but the only way you can use it is to put the sim in your iPhone then you can top-up on line to 5.5Gb data for another 25 Zloty by texting the code you bought, you can't top up from your iPad, it needs to be done on a phone because they send you back a text with a code to confirm. Here's another tip, when the sim is in your phone, go to the website mentioned in the English guide that came with the sim, and with a bit of effort you can "activate" LTE ie: 4G super fast speeds, I got 25 Mbps downloads. By the way, the same English guide says you can top up using Facebook and via the Internet but that's all completely untrue. There is no gym, sauna or steam room.

Room Tip: Use the hotel website, they show the interiors and give the sizes for all the rooms, they do vary qu...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank richard_s_NZ
Snaith
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Had a 5 night stay at the Hotel Wentzl which is in the main square of Krakow.
The location is perfect with most of the cities sights being just a few minutes walk away.
The hotel room which had views of the Christmas market was very comfortable and warm. Decor was nice and considering the position of the hotel not too noisy.
The staff at the hotel were very friendly and welcoming.
Definitely recommended.

1 Thank Andy R
Wirral
Reviewed 13 January 2014

This lovely hotel is right on the Mediaeval square in the heart of Krakow. Stayed in December 2013 for 4 days. Perfect for the "Cloth Hall" full of shops selling amber jewellery and a multitude of other items from fur hats to lace to hand-carved chess sets. All the finer shops of Krakow are in the roads radiating from the square. Christmas Market stalls were right outside, on the square with smoked sausages and mulled wine to keep you going and stave off the cold while you browse.
The reception staff speak excellent english and are pleasant and helpful. The rooms are lovely and are serviced twice daily and very nicely appointed with a full sized fridge and "Nespresso" coffee machine/tea making facilities if needed. Loads of restaurants around covering every pocket.
A ride in the horse-drawn carriage is a nice way of visiting the Castle with a stroll back (via the shops, perhaps?) .

Room Tip: We had a top-floor room which had a small balcony overlooking the square which was perfect for us. I...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple