“people watching”

Ranked #9 of 258 Hotels in Krakow
Co Down
“people watching”
Reviewed 31 May 2010

Apart from everything previously said about this classic hotel, I principally chose The Wentzl as my wife really loves to watch the richness of street life - normally from a cafe while on holiday. It delivered big time for us with a 2nd floor view of the Square from armchairs with tea or wine in our hands (depending on the time of day!) The sights, sounds and smells were absolutely fantastic. In every other way the hotel delivered up to expectation - while unique, slightly old fashioned and perhaps even quirky. All staff were friendly, cheerful, humourous, polite and very helpful. I suppose some people feel comfortable with the sameness of big Hiltons, Holiday Inns and Radissons throughout the world, but we fell in love big time with Krakow and the Polish people, and we felt part of it more in the Wentzl.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TravelluverCoDown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
kent
Reviewed 28 May 2010

The Wentzl is a bit of a conundrum. It is both cutting edge modern and slightly stuffily traditional, comfortable and oddly impractical, at the same time!
We were a group of 5 couples so we chose the 5 rooms on the top floor overlooking the Square. This was a good move, they are the only ones with balconies as far as I could tell. The rooms themselves are individually decorated and very nice. Spotlessly clean and spacious.. but here we come to the first oddity.. plenty of room for say - a chest of drawers, but not one room had one. Not even bedside drawers. Nowhere really to put any clothes.A small wardrobe with a few hangers but no shelf space either. We were luckier than our friends as we had room 45 which had a bar in it, and either side of the ubiquitous mini-bar fridge, a cupboard. Not ideal but better than living out of the suitcase. I cannot understand why they have decided to omit this pretty vital piece of hotel furniture. Having said that, the room was really nice with a lounge area, a gorgeous bathroom with plenty of hot water & good water pressure. It feels expensively decorated. (The bathroom door handle was broken and the wooden floor had lifted slightly due to past water damage so we took photos as we'd read previous posts on here about getting the blame!)
The bed was miles too hard for us - like a slab of concrete.( I woke up on the first morning with a dead arm), but I suppose that is a matter of personal preference. We had a large square pillow and a really little one each, and a separate duvet on either side of the bed, which I do like. Saves all that tug of war.
The service was polite and discreet throughout the Hotel (they stand up at the reception desk as you enter and leave)
The decoration is beautiful, with many copies of famous paintings by Polish artists. Kept us amused at breakfast (I swear there's a portrait of Barry Manilow in the left hand breakfast room!)
Breakfast was nice.. cold meats, pates, cheese, fish (lovely smoked salmon) with various types of bread, and a hot menu to order. All the dishes we ordered turned up promptly and were very nice. Egg and bacon is mixed up with the bacon cooked underneath the eggs. The breakfast moved from room to room and we did play hunt the milk one day, when they'd hidden it in the teapot! This is just to keep guests on their toes I think, as they watched us look for it for ages, muttering 'milk' without saying anything! They only had one small coffee pot for the entire restaurant which is clearly not enough and they didn't watch it particularly, so we spent a long time waiting for it to refill. They did bring tea or cofee out from the back somewhere if they were asked however. (This is what I mean, they were attentive but they didn't always notice things!)

The Hotel could not be better placed from a sight seeing point of view UNLESS you are not a fan of hourly trumpet calls. The Basilica of St Mary just a hundred metres or so from the Hotel has a chiming clock, which is followed on the hour - every hour by a trumpeter playing from each face. (This is in honour apparently, of an elderly watchman who sounded the alarm and saved the City of Krakow from Genghis Khan's approaching hordes - 700 years ago. He was killed in the attack by a single arrow through his neck, and the local firemen carry on the tradition today, and remember his unfortunate end by tailing off the tune mid note.) After 4 nights of being woken up by this charming local custom, I had some sympathy with Genghis Khan's archers!

We went on one trip organised through the Hotel which was Auschwitz-Berkanau, which went slightly awry because of floods in the region. The motorway route was impassable so we had to go cross country in heavy traffic, and it took a lot longer than we had anticipated. That coupled with the fact that our departure time was changed for a later one meant that we didn't get back til gone 9pm. Although they couldn't help the flood water, maybe in retrospect they should have organised for us set off earlier.
Anyway, we loved Krakow (Try the Piano Rouge Bar in the main Square, it's so camp & gorgeous) and we loved the Hotel Wentzl and I would stay there next time we go to Poland, without a shadow of a doubt.
ps We bumped into Nigel Kennedy at the airport on the way home and he played Happy Birthday to my friend on his violin. What a top bloke!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank hextablelife
Essex
Reviewed 28 May 2010

The hotel was so centrally located it was just perfect. It doesn't look very much from the outside, but looks can be deceptive. In this case it was!

It was lovely inside, our room was facing the courtyard inside, but had a great balcony to sit outside in with a glass of champagne. The room was quiet, spacious and full of toys! Surround sound, funky lighting excellent mini-bar and huge bathroom, and was absolutely spotless.

The staff were extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. The breakfast was lovely and fresh, with a vast european buffet. All in all thoroughly enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
Ireland/Germany
Reviewed 23 April 2010

I booked a four night stay here on the strength of the reviews on this site. What a mistake. Staff arrogant and rude, room fine, but the service at breakfast next morning was atrocious. I stood waiting for ten minutes to be seated and eventually just went in and sat down. I ordered Bacon and Eggs and they still have not arrived. I went to receptionn and said I would like to book out and they did not even ask me why!!!

I have emailed this hotel and they refuse to reply to me.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled solo
9 Thank JonahIreland_Germany
Glasgow
Reviewed 20 April 2010

This hotel is definitely worth paying a bit extra for. It has charm,character, fantastic staff and is in the best location in Krakow. The rooms are stunning - a beautiful alternative to the usual generic business class hotels at this price. It was sometimes a struggle to leave our room!

The breakfast is superb and I would definitely recommend an evening meal in the hotel restaurant at least once during your stay.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
Washington, DC
Reviewed 5 April 2010

Our window looked out over the main square, so quite convenient. The room and bath were luxurious, so felt pampered. But the service is what sets this hotel above others. They got us the exact kind of guide we requested (no smoking, English-speaking with specific expertise), made sure we got home safely from the train after a day trip, helped us wrap some Polish pottery to better survive travels, and, on our last day, packed a gigantic lunch for us to take on the plane. All with supreme courtesy and good cheer.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 28 March 2010

Loved the Hotel. Stay here!! The view of St. Mary's is stunning from the window. We had come to meet relatives in Katowice after nearly a century apart and after having such a great time, encouraged them to meet us in Krakow for dinner. When they saw the room, they were in complete awe. This hotel is wonderful. Great ambience, great views, and great breakfast. After staying in another hotel in Krakow 7 years prior (Francuski), the Wentzl made all the difference. It’s worth the price!!!

Ok - the disappointing: the bed wasn't great and I was disappointed with the concierge initially. We had arrived with our backpacks in tow. Fair enough, he may not have been expecting backpackers to be paying for a pricy hotel, but being in our mid-30's, there was no mistaking us for 20-year olds on the hostel trek either. After a cool reception, I asked the concierge to book my train tickets from Krakow to L'Viv, where he advised I could get to the station myself. This triggered the ugly American in me - I reprimanded him harshly for the lack of service and told him I didn't pay these rates to be told to do something myself. Apologetic, it seemed to work and I received excellent service from him thereafter. He was not representative of my other experiences with service staff in Poland who were universally wonderful. All the other staff was excellent at the Wentzl from the onset.

A little snobbery aside from the concierge, this place is great. As a gay couple, we had no problems at the hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple