“"Great weekend in Krakow"”

Novotel Krakow Centrum
Ranked #41 of 260 Hotels in Krakow
Bristol
“"Great weekend in Krakow"”
Reviewed 19 October 2008

Just had a great weekend at the Novotel. This is a very clean comfortable hotel with good staff in a great location about 15 minutes walk from the main square. The Novotel overlooks the river and the castle. The rooms are spacious and well equipped, the breakfasts have a good selection to suit all tastes.
Make sure you make use of the pool, sauna and jacuzzi (its free) and a great way to relax after a day of sightseeing. Visit Auschwitz this is a very moving experience, also the unique Salt Mine (lots of steps down but a lift back up). Krakow and the Novotel Centrum are both great for a long weekend.

• Liked — Location and hotel room
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
Reviewed 6 September 2008

Just spent 3 nights at this hotel ideally located and within 15 minutes walking distance of the Market Square which is surrounded by restaurants, cafes and bars. The room, not luxurious, was spacious enough, clean and with a view of the Castle. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and we received a complimentary guide book of Krakow after checking in.

The restaurant/breakfast room was undergoing reburbishment whilst we were there and has been completed to a modern and pleasant standard. The breakfast buffet was excellent. Prices in the bar were expectedly higher than in restaurants/bars in the town but similar to UK prices. Bar staff knowledgable and friendly.

There are lots of companies organising trips to Auschwitz (6 hours door to door and must be seen!) and the Salt Mine, some cheaper than others and offering discounts if both or more trips are booked. Don't just go for the one they use in the hotel as they are more expensive. A guide for both tours is essential so we don't recommend using public transport or taxis. There are lots of tour companies to be found in the side streets around the Market Square.

Arriving at the aiport we took a bus (facing the airport which everyone else seemed to get on to) which literally went round the corner to a train platform. The 20 minute train journey into the centre cost 6 zl. per person and we then had to take a taxi to the hotel which cost around 18 zl. Returning to the airport we used public transport (bus no. 292) which was a ten minute walk from the hotel. Journey time 25 minutes, fare 2.60 zl. per person.

Trams easy to use. Nos. 1 and 6 (2 stops) take you to the Market Square. Just buy tickets in the hotel foyer shop.

• Liked — Ideal location
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kassiyorks
Reviewed 20 August 2008

I returned yesterday from a 4 day holiday with my husband and 13 year old daughter to Krakow and we can't wait to go back. We usually go on resort holidays to the med or canaries but after this holiday we feel that we want to do this sort of thing in the future.

THE HOTEL:
Approx 20 minute taxi ride from the airport - we used Krakow Shuttle for all our trips and tours and found them to be excellent. Check in was very easy and the only disappointment was that the view from our room was literally non-existent when I was hoping for a castle view. It is what you would expect from a Novotel - clean, modern with good service - throughout the stay we needed more pillows, more coffee and we had a problem with the safe and all 3 issues were dealt with within a matter of minutes. We had a family room which had a large comfy king size bed and 2 single beds. The maid service was very efficient and the toiletries was restocked daily. The only complaint about the room was that the carpet was quite badly stained and in need of replacement. I have attached some photos. The hotel breakfast is nice with a large selection of english, continental, fruit etc. The swimming pool was great for cooling down after a hot day seeing the sights of the city - it was 28 degrees! All towels are lockers are provided and there is a lovely power multi-jet shower to use. Ask the pool attendant to put all the jets and jacuzzi on. Hotel reception will give you a guidbook called 'Krakow in your Pocket' - DO NOT LOSE THIS! It became my bible for the whole trip and in fact hubby and daughter would laugh at me as I consulted it every step of the way.

KRAKOW
what can I say - fabulous! So much to see and do that we ran out of time hence the need for a second visit. We spent most of our time on an evening at Rynek Glowy with its many buildings, churches, cafes, bars and restaurants - approx 15 minute walk from the hotel. The churches are breathtaking - and I am not a religious person! We ate at 4 different places and can especially recommend Il Postillo (Italian) and Pod Sloncem (Polish) - they are both situated in 14th century cellars - amazing atmosphere and good food and wine. (house whie was lovely in both places)

TRIPS
We did Auschwitz and the Salt Mines - both with Krakow Shuttle - look them up of their web site and you can book in advance. The Salt Mines were really magical - but beware, if like me you dont like confined spaces and hights do not look down when you are decending the hundreds of steps - scary stuff! My only issue was that it was quite busy and you had to do a group tour rather than my prefered way of buying a guide book and going round myself. Auschwitz was only an hour away by taxi and I must admit I was not looking forward to it - but I am glad I went. It is in 2 parts and Krakow Shuttle drop you off at Auchwitz 1 for approx 2 hours then shuttle you to the second part for another hour or however long you want. Again, my recommendation is to buy a map and a guide book and go round yourself - the tours look very impersonal and rushed whereas I wanted to stop and read things and contemplate. AAuschwitz 1 has the museum with the piles of hair and photos whereas Auschwitz 2 (Birkenau) is more of less how the Nazis left it - very moving.

All in all we had a fabulous holiday - we were very lucky with the weather which helped - and we are looking forward to returning to do the Jewish Quarter, Nowa Huta and the zoo. Try learning a bit of Polish before you go - check out a web site called 1 minute languages - although don't worry because most Poles can speak excellent English and most menus etc are in English.

I have posted a few pictures but please feel free to message me with any questions you might have.

Stayed August 2008
4 Thank ANDIES
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 8 August 2008

Just returned from a 4 night city break at the Novotel Centrum in Krakow. Like many other reviews I could find no fault with this excellent hotel, the breakfast including hot buffet together with the usual 'continental' style. The rooms were of a good size and cleaned daily.

Krakow itself is a lovely city and offers many attractions, including the harrowing Aushwitz and Birkenau camps, which I would recommend seeing.

More enjoyable trips include a walking city tour and a trip to the salt mines - both worth doing.

To anyone thinking of visiting Krakow I would suggest that you do it sooner rather than later as the 'stag-night' brigade have discovered it, and not for the culture it offers !!

• Liked — Clean and great location
  • Disliked — Bar prices lol !!!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I cannot fault this hotel, it is a 4 star hotel and fully justifies its 4 stars, I have stayed at other so called 4 star hotels that simply cannot compete. The hotel is opposite Wawel castle, about a 10 walk to the old town and about 20-25 mins to the train station.

The hotel is clean and modern, the rooms are big, with comfy beds, spacious bathrooms and ours had an excellent view of the castle (ask for a room at the front).

The staff are friendly and most speak good English, the bar is reasonably priced for a hotel and the hotel has an excellent pool, sauna and jacuzzi.

• Stayed June 2008
1 Thank rh1576
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2008

For a brief business trip (the sort where you don't really have time or energy to do much sightseeing), the Novotel was a good bet. The staff were consistently friendly and the choice of food in the restaurants was perfectly adequate for the time I was there.
My only tourist thing was to visit Auschwitz on the Sunday when I left. This was arranged via the hotel for around GBP 100 (private taxi to drive out there and then directly to the airport) with no fuss at all.
The hotel is new and in a convenient location, near the old town and with an ATM directly opposite. That's boring I know, but it's a real annoyance on business trips if there's no ATM near the hotel!
Each member of staff was helpful and friendly. I would certainly choose to stay there again if business, or preferably pleasure, takes me to Krakow.

• Liked — Staff professional and friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Derby
Reviewed 24 May 2008

A nice clean basic hotel approx 10 mins walk to the main square which is lovely. Very comfy beds ! We had a view of the castle from our room. Visited Auschwitz which is a must ! Use krakowshuttle for collection from the airport and the visit to Auschwitz. They were excellent always on time and really helpful and friendly !.

Stayed May 2008