“Cheap Krakow stopover”
Review of Demel Hotel

Demel Hotel
Ranked #181 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Demel for 2 nights and it proved to be a good alternative to staying in the old town as it had onsite parking and was convenient for public transport. Check in was efficient and we were issued with our room well before the official occupancy time.
Several people have said that it is not 4 star and I would agree with that but then you are not paying 4 star prices. Rooms were pretty good and had all the facilities you might normally expect.We were given a city map and other information at check in and found the staff friendly and helpful. The restaurant was a bit of a let down and there never seemed to be anyone serving in the bar.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 September 2011

Spent one night here while transiting Krakow. Very reasonably priced and hotel fairly comfortable. Close to the city centre and in a quiet location. Comfortable outside seating / smoking area and friendly helpful staff.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 July 2011

Stayed 3 nights at the beggining of June and I have to say this hotel should get 2 stars rating.
Bedroom was cleaned daily but sheets and towels were not changed once during my stay.
Decor in bedroom and hotel is from 80's, I was afraid to seat on the sofa because it looked terrible. Both TV and radio looked like antics. There was only about 5 channels available on TV. Mirror in bathroom was completely destroyed and there was a weird smell most probably coming from pipes.
On plus side room and wardrobe were good size, also minibar was well stocked and I was able to use it as firdge. There is free wifi in the hotel but it is very slow.
Location is very good considering the price, only short stop to tram which goes to old city and taxi isn't to expensive either.
Breakfast in the restaurant was far from good. Poor choice of cheese and meat. Bread and rolls seemed the only fresh thing on the table. There was no juice, only something like sweet, cheap orange drink. Restaurant staff was rude and you could here them complaining about other staff members while having breakfast every morning which I found very rude and unprofessional. Table cloths and cups were stained and very old.
We also had dinner there two nights. There isn't much choice on the menu and food is overpriced for the value you get.
Check in at reception was quick and efficient but when asked if I could stay later and pay extra I was told by very rude person that there is no way.
It was understandable that they couldn't give late check out but they could at least be nice and polite with saying now (considering that I wanted to pay for it!).
Overall the hotel biggest problem is the staff and their attitude towards clients.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank JoannaPi
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Stayed here on the 23rd and 24th of June. I felt the room (213) was not particularly clean,
the bed and pillows were very hard and the bathroom smelt like a sewer at all times.
Also the light flickered constantly.
Although i complained about the smell, nothing was done.
On the plus side they provide parking if you have your own car.
And it's not far for the tram into the city.
I may have just been unlucky but it definately is not a 4* Hotel.
Also although i never used it, my friend said Internet is very slow.
Would i stay again ? NO..

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank jpvids9
Reviewed 31 December 2010

Stayed in a triple room with two friends. Hotel is nice enough, but is very dated in its decor and furnishings. Place was very clean and the staff very helpful. The buffet breakfast wasn't to our taste but the hot breakfast - scrambled eggs with ham- was delicious. The hotel is more like a 3 star than a 4 star but as we didn't spend much time there that didn't matter. The hotel is quite a bit out of the city centre so you need to get a tram - didn't try them- or a taxi into the main square. Taxis were very cheap at around £4 a journey. Krakow itself is lovely, but next time I go there I will stay closer to the centre.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank slavetolove
Reviewed 29 August 2010

After looking at previous contibutors reviews, I was a little apprehensive but on arrival,I was pleasantly surprised. The reception staff were very pleasant and efficient and nothing was too much trouble for them. They will arrange anything for you, taxis, tram tickets,excursions etc. My room was spotlessly clean with twin beds, mini bar, tv, plenty of storage space, bathrobes and slippers in the wardrobe and a modern and spotlessly clean bathroom.Ok so the tv only shows Polish stations and maybe a couple of stations from neighbouring countries but who comes to Krakow to sit in your room watching tv? Breakfast was buffet style with plenty of cold meats,cheeses fruits cereals etc. There is also a menu with scrambled eggs,bacon etc which is prepared and served at your table within minutes. All in all, I was very happy with the Demel and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to friends. It is a little way out of town but an excellent tram service will take you in to the centre from the stop which is only a five minute walk away. The fare is 2.5 zlote which is about 55p each way.( Dont forget to validate your ticket in the yellow machines on the tram.) Taxi from Hotel to the airport will cost approx.60 zlote ( about £13) but you can use public transport if you want to.

• Stayed: August 2010
1  Thank DickiemintWirral
Reviewed 4 June 2010

I stayed at this hotel a few days ago as part of a Central European tour, so it was one of many hotels I have stayed in. The Receptionist was very helpful, and even allowed us to check in before the check in time of 2pm. Our twin bed room was very spacious and had a tv and mini bar (although the tv was tiny and had no english speaking channels).

We decided to stay in the hotel for the first evening to eat ; the menu virtually has no vegetarian options at all. When we informed the waiter we required a vegetarian option he looked at us as if we were from a different planet. However, after he spoke to the chef they were able to reluctantly provide us with a meal. The breakfast selection was quite poor but typical of what you expect in these hotels. Getting to and from the hotel was easy enough once we found out tram stops and numbers. Also one thing that really quite annoyed me was its lack of internet access; you could plug in our own laptop but it had no pay-to-use internet access which was present in even the most basic of hotels I have stayed in (never mind a 4*).
The hotel also seemed to be having an idenity crisis, half of the crockery and things had four stars on it, the other half had three ; It couldn't quite make it up its mind. In my opinion it certainly isn't four stars but you get what you pay for.

I would stay in this hotel again for the price, but please do not expect luxury, it is not deserving of four stars.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends