“True Brit.”

Ranked #85 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
Preston
“True Brit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

Flew fm MCR 2 hr 10 mins, transfer 30 mins. The Chopin is a great base not disimiliar to a Premier/T-lodge affair over here.The check in was swift & prompt, in the room within 5 mins.The rooms are clean, bright, warm with comfy bed bath & shwr with gels & facewash provided not the little bottles either, the wall mounted biggies + ladies a wall mouted hair dryer both great if you're on 10kg allowance,no T boat tho, you have to upgrade your room for that. Breakfast is plentiful til 10-30 with good varied selection although the sausages are the cheap hot dog type yuk! the OJ is simply cordial.The bar is ok with a patio @ the front of the hotel 20plz for 2 halfs, I found a bar "The Black Gallery" (en route from the square to the hotel for your nightcap, it's a 15 min walk in double that for the walk home the Barman would insist on a couple of free shots for the road)!! in there it's 12plz for 2 pints 5plz to the £. DO NOT change your cash in UK, £4.63 as opposed to £4.98 there, there are countless bureau's to choose from, head for Mcdonalds for 2 trading off each other. Kracow is simply awash with bars & rstrnts & non euro so the cheapness is very refreshing full 2 full meals with wine 57plz under £12!! Also DO NOT book an Auschwitz trip over here I was severely fleeced (complaint gone in) again there are bureau's everywhere 79plz was the best price I saw (yes I was crying)!, worth every penny for a full day out 90 mins drive each way. All in all Kracow is a beautiful city perfect for a break with friendly people with loads of cheap shops etc,I will deffo be returning & have no qualms about staying in the Chopin.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank PNE260_9

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Southport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2013

We were a group of 8 people, of varying ages, and each and everyone of us had an amazing time. The Chopin was exceptional value for money.
We found the hotel to be clean and warm. The staff, especially at the desk, were extremely helpful. We changed our pounds at the bureau in the foyer, we received a better rate than any of the Kantors were offering, would definitely recommend.
Although the rooms weren't particularly big they were definitely adequate for a short stay. By foot it did take 15/20 mins to reach the Main Square, but it was a direct walk: we used the trams once - they were fine and taxis cost approx £4.
The breakfasts, hot and cold, were tasty and plentiful.
We would recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: We were on second floor - no problem at all
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jan191255
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

The twin room we slept in was quite small,but clean.I sent some trousers to be laundered,which were supposed to take 24hrs,but took 48hrs.We ate breakfast in 4 different rooms,due to some sort of conference taking place.The quality of the food was very poor,the hot food was cold, there was allways something missing and food was cleared away before the closing time.I don't know how to describe the orange juice,it was like nothing iv ever tasted.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I spent 4 nights at this hotel, which was perfectly OK - but if you (as most) simply do short breaks to these interesting cities, it is SO important to be in the Centre of the action: old town square, museums, galleries, churches, coffee shops - many of them, where they do THE most wonderful koffee & kuchen - and all sorts of interesting boutiques, in Florianska Street. I was short of a jacket as weather suddenly cold, so went into a 2nd hand shop (across the road from the hotel) where I chose a very nice almost new jacket, and this was weighed for the cost (!) at £3 - a real find...\ Initially I looked at this hotel from the map on line and it did not seem very far from the Old Town Square, and indeed it was quite easily to walk to (20-min at the outset), but walking under subways, crossing wide roads etc etc makes this not a pleasant exercise. When I go again, and I will as it is such a charming and delightful City, I will stay in a B&B in Grodzka Street or thereabouts, as most of the hotels and B&Bs there are ON THE SPOT and one can walk anywhere without any problem. .I would say that the Chopin Hotel would be ideal for Conferences etc. and I noted it was used for this purpose; I would say it was well worth the 3-star award it has been given; in addition I had a nice bedroom, and they have a good pub/lounge and do a really fabulous breakfast. Where can one get that wonderful black seeded bread!!! And the coffee, mmmm.... Staff were wonderful - as was every single Pole I met, although, curiously enough, many of the staff come from Rumania? Very clean place and I would recommend this hotel if you are not all that keen on doing too much sightseeing!! I would advise against getting any s'wiches or food from the bar - as these (the one I had) are absolutely horrendous! Chicken, cooked over and over again. No thanks! Fairly noisy, but chatted to some Brits who were friendly and we gave each other suggestions of where to go and what to see! So a good 3-star hotel.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms I am sure are OK - but as usual, I will always try and get a room which is high up...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Catlover9cleo
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

This is a nice hotel but I did not find the staff that friendly. We arrived back after having a day trip down the salt mines and they had the restaurant fully booked out with a large group of people who were not residents. So we were left to find a table in the lobby in order to get some food. I cant imagine any hotel booking out its restaurant and leaving nowhere for their residents to eat. For this reason I will not return to this hotel. Other than that the hotel was clean and in a good location. ..I loved my trip to Poland and I will return next year for more..........

Lichfield
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Chopin for 3 nights from 5 October with 9 others. All in all, a great hotel and a very good base for the weekend. Our room was on the second floor at the front of the hotel which we asked for by email a couple of days before travelling so well worth doing the same if you'd prefer the quieter front - which I learned from tripadvisor. The room was small but had everything you want/need so no complaints there. The double bed was very comfortable and the two single quilts as opposed to one double one was a really good idea!

Our stay was on a B&B basis so can't comment on lunch or dinner. We had breakfast in the dining room each morning and although I guess fairly basic, gave a very good start to each of the days. As said elsewhere, drinks are expensive (14 Zlotys for a beer) but that's the same at most hotels.

The tram stop is right outside the hotel and only 2 or 3 stops to the old town. We bought tickets on the tram so you're going to do the same, make us you have some coins. Instructions are in English, it's about 3 Zlotys and the machine does give change. However, it's only a 20 minute walk which we did most of the time.

I pre-arranged transfers with Krakow Direct by email (398 Zlotys return for the 11 of us) and can definitely recommend this company. Excellent English speaking drivers and modern Mercedes vehicles. We also arranged trips to the salt mine and Auschwitz with them - at the end of the salt mine tour, the driver even gave us a bottle of cherry vodka which was a very nice touch.

Room Tip: Front rooms are quieter. There's a busy dual carriageway at the back.
1 Thank Welsh39wizard
Lichfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

A group of 11 of us stayed here for 3 nights.
First impressions were good although the check in staff could have been friendlier.
I had asked for a room in a quiet location, they put me right beside the lifts!
Thanks for that.
On the subject of noise, they have maintenance work carried out as early as 7am with workers banging and thumping, absolute disgrace.
The rooms are pretty small though this isn’t an issue if you are going to be out all day as we were.
There are no tea and coffee making facilities in the room unless you ‘upgrade’.
Upgrade to get a kettle and some tea bags?
For some reason a spare toilet roll holder is so close to the toilet that you have to sit sideways.
I have no idea why this has been done. There is plenty of room to put it out of the way, very strange.
The beds are comfy and the safe is free to use. Make sure you use it, I had stuff go missing.
Breakfast was adequate though things were always running out, scrambled eggs cold, water for tea nowhere near hot enough to make a decent cup of tea, etc.
Use the main eating area, the overflow area is like sitting in a school canteen.
The drinks in the hotel bar are the dearest we found in the whole of Krakow.
We had a great time in Krakow but that was due to the company not this hotel.
It’s ok for a reasonably priced base but I would probably look elsewhere in the future.

Room Tip: Waste of time requesting anything as they just ignore it.