“First trip to Poland”
Review of Sympozjum Hotel

Sympozjum Hotel
Ranked #129 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on my first trip to Poland. The room was a decent size with a desk that I could work at and a chair that I could sit in to read. The staff were helpful and very capable in English. As others have noted, the towels weren't what you might be used to in North American hotels, but they did the job to get you dry. The bathroom appliances were modern, though I did have a bit of an issue with the glass shower door. The restaurant was convenient and had decent food, though the quality and portion size did vary a little bit from day to day. I'm surprised by some of the negative comments re: breakfast. This hotel had the best "free" breakfast buffet of any place that I've ever stayed. In fact, that might have been the highlight of this place for me. The tram is close by, with instructions available in English. This was a great way to get within walking distance of the Main Market Square.

• Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Coho_blue

Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed a couple of nights, was a little bit concerned due to the location and the outside look of the hotel, but once inside opinion changed.

Staff were very helpful, the room was very spacious, modern and had all the facilities required.

I even used the indoor pool - small, but had it all to myself.

Only downside was the breakfast - a bit basic.

Oh and there's a Giant Tesco within 5 minutes walk for all your supplies

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Steve M
Reviewed 26 July 2014

stayed here for new year 2013, hotel is lovely, the staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was abit disappointing but nothing unusual.The rooms were clean as was the bathroom. The only drawback is being so far from the centre, there is a tram stop on the corner but make sure you go the right way! very cheap transport system and very regular.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 3 days in June. It is somewhat tired looking and showing its age, but very clean and the staff very helpful and friendly. I had seen reviews deriding the breakfast, but we found it perfectly fine and ample. All the food was freshly cooked - no 'plastic' fried eggs that you seem to get everywhere in the world. Our room was very nice. The towels are indeed a shade of grey as they are obviously old, but we had clean towels and bed linen every day. The tram is very close by. No.18 or 52 into town. Fabulous city Krakow. Would highly recommend it and this hotel.

Room Tip: We originally had room 416, which was a twin room. We asked for a double and were given 414 which wa...
5  Thank Maggie156k
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just as I expected, having been to this Hotel in Oct 2013, from reception to rooms, the bar, corridors, eating area al spotless. Staff were very helpful on any questions that were asked of them. My wife and I dined in the hotel twice in the evening, as a result of having been out all day and being too tired to go to the Main Square in the evening. Reception staff even told me what bus to catch to visit one of the football grounds and where to get off the bus and was spot on. Although the location is a 10 minute ride on the tram out of the city, it suits us as we are not night owls, so we are away from any noise of the main square. Best tram for Main square is #18, # 52 will get you to the shopping mall, railway and bus station. Would we come back to this hotel, yes deffo.

2  Thank Nosyrudeman
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Gate 1 Travel booked our group into this hotel after a pleasant stay at the Radisson in Warsaw so we had every reason to expect a comparable place to rest after a lengthy bus ride.

Wrong.

From the highway we saw an ill-kept building with missing letters on the side. "Is that where we are going?", I asked our guide. "It looks better once you're inside," he replied.

Wrong.

It got worse.

In the badly lit, badly maintained lobby I got my room key I took the slow elevator to the 4th floor. The room was dark and dirty. The TV, which didn't work, was an old table top model. Two straight chairs, a rickety table, a dirty foam pad for the "mattress", a thin sheet covered the "mattress" which was complete with publc hair! The bathroom came with a wall-mounted soap dispenser that smelled of disinfectant rather than soap. Did I mention the transparent gray towels?

It gets worse.

Since there was no wi-fi in my room and since I KNEW my room was a serious mistake, I took the elevator back to the lobby where a friend from the Gate 1 group asked if I had an Apple adaptor and convertor. Since I did, I told him to return to my room with me so I could loan it to him. He did. I forgot that I was on the 4th floor and went to the 3rd floor.

It gets worse.

My key opened the room on the 3rd floor!!!! A naked man was standing by the bed. I apologized and slammed the door shut. My friend and I were speechless.

When I told the tour guide, we went to the front desk where he explained the lock situation to the front desk. The young woman looked at me and said (no kidding), "You made a mistake."

The guide told me to contact Gate 1 which I did by email from the lobby. The next morning I received an email instructing me to expect cultural differences when I travel!!!!!

We had to spend two nights in this hotel. The food was dreadful. Security does not exist. It is dirty. I got a virus from which I am still suffering. 4 other members of our 12 person group came down with mysterious maladies from this terrible, terrible hotel.

Do not go near this place.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank sanfranciscojo
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Did a city break package great price I will list the individual elements
Plane Efficient staff, welcoming flight on time
Hotel. Clean, quiet good air conditioning nice to come back to a cool room after the heat of the day. Ignore the comments about the staff I expect this was more to do with the guests. They were friendly happy to have a chat from the young lad on his first morning to the barmen who happily gave my husband a detailed explanation of the vodkas and organised a tasting platter for him much to his delight.
the tram outside the hotel. If you are going into town you need to take the tram on the left hand side we used 52 said Ol Pissao (something like this couldn't remember how to spell it but on the front of the trams going into town so you will know) coming back is says something maki. Lots of stops so check with hotel which to get off on. When you return after a long day if you are in central square face the church and to the right of this is Hard Rock Cafe and a new Zara if you go down the alley to the right of Zara come to the main road and trams your stop is on the left hand side care you have to cross a lane of traffic but was fine they stop. Hope you find this useful I would have
Airport transfer we booked through
Easy Jet and paid a couple of pounds extra to have a private transfer, waiting for us at airport on arrival and early for hotel pick up from other guests that had a shared transfer they had to wait around for other flights to come in so worth considering the bit extra -taxi driver said I must try the cherry vodka, this is a good tip I would recommend
A really enjoyable break and great joined up experience by all parties concerned would recommend

4  Thank UkWhiskas