“quick review”

Ranked #93 of 256 Hotels in Krakow
London
“quick review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

Really nice hotel. I actually got very small single room but what I will remember is extremely comfortable bed! Shame i didn't decided to get down for a breakfast - I bet it was yummie, especially that it was a "Doughnut Day" (Fat Thursday) in Poland :)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

We liked this place and had a good stay here.

The brekkie was varied and tasty, and - hurrah! - there was a toaster. We shared a twin room with our ten year old daughter for a few nights, and whilst it was a little bit cramped we didn't mind as we were having so much fun and treated it a bit like camping. The room was clean and serviced each day. Our towels were replaced when we dutifully left them on the floor in the shower. The décor was pleasing. There was a small fridge, always useful.Our room was on the non-street side/back of the hotel, I was relieved to discover, after having seen, on arrival, that the hotel is almost right opposite a church (I didn't fancy being awoken early on a Sunday by bells whilst on holiday). the hotel is in a good overall location, being down a side road, and just outside the very heart of the historic centre, so on the quieter side and easy to walk to the central attractions.

When we called reception to ask for things it was normally quicker for us to say what we needed and then actually go downstairs to reception and collect it ourselves - so don't stay here if you are expecting silver service (for which I suppose you will in any event need to pay more). I discovered this when I first called down to reception to ask for help. On arriving in our hotel room we discovered that there was some rather enthusiastic air conditioning of sorts, keeping the air fresh. It was a teeny bit buzzier than I would have wished for and as I couldn't work out how to turn it off I called reception to ask for assistance. We didn't want the air con on in any event because it was November and rather cold outside, so we wanted the room as cosy as possible. The helpful man on reception told me that it was a building-wide ventilation system and so individual guests can't control from their room. Boo hoo. But wait! I thought to ask for a portable heater (husband's idea, in fact). Yes, they did have a spare heater, said the man on reception, who then promised to bring it to the room at the end of his shift in one hour. I did think it a bit odd that I had to wait until the end of his shift, though he explained that he was the only one on reception and he could not leave his post therefore until his colleague took over later that evening. No problemo. I can wait an hour. Three or so polite English hours later and I was still waiting, not to mention that I had after the first half hour or so become a little chilly. I called reception again and the answer was that there was a heater, yes; no they weren't sure why it hadn't been brought up to the room earlier; yes, it would be brought up to the room soon. At this point I said, no, I would come downstairs to reception and get it myself. On arriving at reception I smiled sweetly and asked the gentleman if he could give me the promised heater. He looked at me down his nose with glasses at the end. He then ducked under the reception desk and produced a heater. Ah. So it was I discovered that there was only one portable heater in the entire hotel, which was to be shared between guests as well as reception. If it weren't for the fact that we had been sitting getting chilly in the enthusiastically ventilated room for a good couple (or more) hours then I would have felt guiltier at depriving reception of this coveted device. As it happened I smiled sweetly again, thanked him and marched off with what was for the rest of the stay to be our heater. The first day we had been out and came back again I did half wonder if the heater might have done a disappearing act, but it had not and never did.

We were able to have a giggle about the above as we ended up with the heater, however had we not done so the room would have probably been a little bit chilly, not much fun in November in Krakow. So do hope the hotel can buy a portable heater for its reception as well as one or two spare for guests! Apart from this all positive.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Honey-Sparkles
Timisoara, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

The hotel is simple, nothing cosy, but it is OK if you are not expecting luxury. They have internet acces- you have to ask at the reception for a wire and tea making facilities in the room. The major advantage for this hotel is his location. You can reach city center by foot. We did not use any meaning of transportation wile staied there for visiting Krakow. We left the car in front of the hotel in payed parking(free on week-end). Breakfast is OK, not quite everything that you can wish, but fare.My only complain was that in the room was a little cold, but I think this is normal in Poland :). And another thing, the AC sistem was quite noisy. That did't bother me, but had to meantioned about it.

Letterkenny, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

this was our second trip to Krakow, this hotel was very central, rooms were clean and comfortable,there was even tea/coffee facilities in room which is unusual for a european hotel, breakfast was nice, staff were helpful too

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Anastacia R
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2011

We have just left this hotel after staying there for 4 nights. We were expecting budget accommodation as advertised on their website and based on that, I could not find any flaws with the place. In fact, this is better than the budget accommodation we have in the UK (Premier Inn, Days Inn, etc). No renovation noise was heard from our room, but we could notice some activity/noise whilst having breakfast. Room furniture was recent, shower room had modern fittings and the bed was comfortable. Based on the reviews here we booked our room asking to be put on the main building and not on the annex and that was respected.
Front desk spoke reasonable english which was enough to give us directions to places and call us a taxi at check-out. The hotel offers free internet, but if you take an iPad, wireless signal does not work in the room. I had a laptop and iPad, so I connected my laptop with the wired cable and shared access over Wifi to iPad, which worked great. By the way, internet is free, which is quite handy. As for the area, it is indeed within walking distance of the superb Main Square (Rynek Głowny), the street to the left as you leave the hotel (Karmelicka) has some restaurants and a cheap but delicious polish food place at the very corner (Kuchnia Polska is written on the sign). There's also a postal office (poczta) metres away from the hotel which is handy to send postcards to your old polish folks (I sent one to my grandma who was born in Poland). I believe that people that were disappointed with this place came with expectations that were perhaps too high. I liked it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 13 which has a connecting door to room 12. We could sporadically listen to some no...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Djola
North East,England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

A very nice hotel ,which was obviously undergoing a large refurbishment programme. Unfortunately at the time we were there and without prior notification very noisy work was still being carried on next to our room (Room 101 !!)There was a breakfast room but no restaurant as advertised, so no lunch or dinners available. There was also no bar.The lack of meals was no problem as Krakow has many varied and good value restaurants(try Roosters).The lack of a a bar was disappointing.When we complained to one of the receptionists (Peter) he did nothing and would not contact the absent Manager or his head office. On complaining the next day to an older male receptionist, who was very polite, a bottle of wine appeared in the room. Overall I would return if I could be reassured that the building work was all finished. Krakow a great centre for visiting Auschwitz/Birkenau and the Salt Mines.Very warm and friendly people.

1 Thank clawhammer
Newcastle, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2011

Stayed at the Alexander for 4 nights and found the hotel clean tidy and comfortable. The rooms were well equipped and appeared recently refurbished with maid service daily.Idealy situated for the city centre but not to much traffic noise. I would have given this hotel a higher rating but for the fact that there was no bar, or lunch and evening meal facilities, which required a walk into town for meals appart from breakfast ( would recommend Roosters 5minute walk). The breakfast was acceptable with a reasonable selection. I got, the impression that parts of the hotel were under renovation as noise was apparent during the day,this could account for the lack of facilities. Visits to Prison Camps and Salt Mines less than £25 per head with hotel pick ups