My husband and I had a long weekend begining of May. Grodek was my second choice - my first being Wentzl (on the square), but Wentzl would not confirm a PLN price only a Euro price and this was the time when the £ was getting weak. I made the right choice. Grodek was 2 mins walk from the square and approx 10 mins walk to Kazimierz district and was quiet. My email communications with the staff was always pleasant and I booked room 307. We had one annoyance but not a big deal really - we arranged a taxi with the hotel to pick us up from the airport - I even confirmed it the day before - when we arrived no taxi, I would have thought they would have managed this better. We did not have a drink in the hotel bar - in Poland you can still smoke in public places and for us as non-smokers it was unbearable. Breakfast was very good - scrambled eggs, poached eggs, eggy break, french toast etc,,,,,,, as well as the normal cheeses, hams, fruit etc,,,, BUT the staff are not particularly efficient - you will need to go up to them and tell them exacty what you want!
If there is one negative I would say the views from the hotel rooms are not particularly great.
I would stay at the Grodek again and I would recommend it to everyone.
As far as eating - we found two fab resturants not far away, just off the square:
1. Trzy Papryczki - Fantastic little place, fresh pizza made for you - one of the best pizzas we have had. The entrance to this place has lots of advert cards for other resturants etc,,, - it is worth going to take a look as it offers % of meals and free drinks etc,,,,,
2. Can't remember this resturant name but it is next door to Trzy Papryczki
We also found one terrible resturant - The Piano Rouge. Fillet steak like bubble gum.
There are many resturants and bars around the sq. Most have 0.5l of draught beer for 8.50 - 10 PLN, wine by the glass is 100ml and is around the same price as the beer - there is one bar/resturant that takes advantage of tourists beyond acceptance - The piano Rouge. They only have a smal area for seating on the sq - sit at the next table with a different company and the price will be competitive with all other bars. THe cheaper bars seem to be on the side of the SQ where Wentzl hotel is - don't know why.
THe horse and carriage trips are great and very popular, however there are times when you can barter. 25mins from SQ to Castle and back - we were first quoted 140PLN and they would not budge on this price - but with another person we got it for 100PLN - it is worth asking several 'drivers' for best price. THere are also small electric cars that have tours. There are 3 areas - old city, Kazimierz district, Jewish Getto. We walked the Kazimierz and Jewish getto areas but go the electric car for the old city area which included the castle. It is rushed but an experience. The price is 120PLN for 1 area, 180PLN for 2 areas and 240PLN for all areas. They were offering 100PLN for one area which we took.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The exquisite Hotel Gródek is located in the very heart of Krakow, yet it is nested away from the city bustle in a quiet street close to Main Market Square. Surrounded with a truly historical atmosphere, you can enjoy the individually arranged rooms, fantastic food and impeccable service. On top of that, the Hotel can also host conferences, offering elegant interiors with all the necessary equipment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your Hotel Grodek reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grodek Hotel Krakow