“Nice small but expensive hotel”
Review of Hotel Grodek

Hotel Grodek
Ranked #13 of 261 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 24 September 2007

Grodek hotel is in a cul de sac very close to the main oost office (Poczta Glowny) and from the main square (Stary Rynek) is best reached on foot down the street at side of Empik bookstore.

It combines a small hotel with basement restaurant where I have eaten several times in recent years.

I had Room 305 for one night in September. It was classed de luxe but was relatively small. Large double bed with two duvets. Bathroom had bath with integral shower. There was iron and board, as well as kettle. Comfortable room but not particularly luxurious.

One internet terminal halfway up one of the staircases

Staff v friendly on arrival. Speak English.

Road works going on near the hotel. So approach is dusty.

Breakfast was buffet style in basement restaurant. Fair selection of cheeses, some fruit but no fish. Coffee ok. 4 juices. Quality good and possibly as extensive as one could reasonably expect in a small hotel

Rate paid inc breakfast for 2 was PLN 890 (EUR 235) - charged in advance. Not particularly good value for money in Krakow. There is better elsewhere in the chains. I will choose Novotel or similar in future.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travellerinpoland
There are newer reviews for Hotel Grodek

Reviewed 16 September 2007

Have just returned from a four night stay at the Grodek Hotel in Krakow. There were six of us,all young retirees,discerning and well travelled and all of the same opinion concerning the Grodek. It is a gem of a hotel,so close to the centre and yet so quiet. We occupied three rooms on three different floors and each room was different. One was fairly small, the other two were larger and each was designed differently. Each room had tea making facilities,bath robes,an iron and ironing board,safe and plenty of wardrobe space The staff was excellent and couldn't have been more helpful. Breakfast was a hot and cold buffet and twice during our stay we ate in the hotel in the evening and had a lovely meal reasonably priced. If you go, try out the roof terrace,it is a nice place to relax after a day's sightseeing. We were not due to leave Krakow until the evening but after our 12 o'clock check out the hotel stored our luggage and allowed us to use their lounge until our taxi came.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank ann015
Reviewed 30 August 2007

Do you know, it never ceases to amaze me what some people complain about - check out the couple of earlier negative comments. Make no mistake this is an excellent hotel! Take it from someone who used to be a hotel inspector and has stayed in hundreds of hotels and knows a good room, friendly staff and excellent food.

In fact I would go so far as to say that the Cul-de-Sac is one of the best hotels restaurants I have eaten in, which honestly compares to recent visits to Les Manoirs and La Gavroche - Michelin 3*. The breakfast was superb - hot and cold - you name it, it was there - all cheerfully served.

Not a hotel for children - well yes it is if they are well behaved. Too noisy because of roadworks - not any more.

So a bit more detail. The rooms (only 23) are tastefully decorated and have every mod con. Beware other 4 star hotels in Krakow do not have air conditioning. The bar is initimate and stocks great Vodka. The staff could not have been more helpful. Ewa the Researvations Manager is extremely efficient and Andrew the hotel's nominated driver was brilliant when it came to a day trip to Auschwitz and the Salt Mine.

If you are wanting a different perspective of Krakow, have a cocktail on the roof terrace or de-stress in the Sauna.

I could go on, but I would not want too many people going there because the Grodek is a real find. No, scratch that - go there because this hotel is truly worth visiting. You won't be disappointed - unless you don't recognise a real find when it comes to hotels.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
12  Thank MStJB
Reviewed 29 August 2007

I Stayed at this hotel with my friend in March after being transfered from the Wentzl as it was being renovated. The overall experience was acceptable.Rooms are nothing special and the staff in the bar are VERY slow, I waited over 15 minutes to get my glass of wine. However location is good, just a few mins walk from the market square, the rooms were clean, and the Cul de Sac resteraunt in the hotel was although expensive for Krakow, EXCELLENT.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank hollyworld88
Reviewed 6 August 2007

This hotel is rated best in Krakow by an amerian guide book. Slightly concerned therefore to read the negative reviews here after booking. I think I must have stayed at a different hotel!
The hotel's situation though very central is on a very quite side street. The hotel is quite new so everything is very fresh from the public areas to the spacious (de-luxe) room we stayed in. The conversion, from a nunnery, has however retained lots of beautiful original features.
Breakfast was included in the price with an extensive cold buffet and a hot option if required.
The stars of the show, however, were the staff. Nothing was too much trouble from a minor problm with internet access (my fault) to giving directions and trip advice. Don't understand the comments re hotel safe, our room had it's own silmple to use one.
On our last morning we ordered a taxi to the airport at 6pm. They immediately offered a late check out without us even needing to ask. We travel extensively but I have never been moved to write a review before. In this case I felt I needed to put the record straight.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank annez3
Reviewed 15 July 2007

We chose this hotel for my birthday treat after reading the glowing reviews on tripdavisor. On arrival the staff were very friendly and we were delighted with our room - the underfloor heating in the bathroom was a particular delight! The location is fantastic, although there were some roadworks nearby when we visited which made negotiating the buggy a little difficult. However, we made big mistake in eating in the restaurant with a 3 year old. She is by any standards a well-behaved child used to dining out, but the opulence and elegance of the restaurant coupled with the serious atmosphere and adult environment made it a very uncomfortable experience for us all and proved very stressful. We were glad to leave. So, all in all - probably very classy and upmarket for adults, but not at all geared towards children. By all means stay here if you have kids but do not eat in the restaurant - even breakfast the next day, although more relaxed, was still pretty difficult.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank tpbel
Reviewed 4 June 2007

On arriving at hotel 11.30pm the bar was closed and the mini bar did not contain any alcoholic beverages,not quite a 5 star reception. The breakfast was a total disappointment,items were not replenished such as croissants ,which my husband was looking forward to, when he asked for a croissant ,he was simply told NO. But by far the most disturbing event was leaving our valuables in the hotel safe on checking out. When these items were returned to us I did not feel I had to check my purse but on arriving home in the UK to my horror my two credit cards were missing. These cards were very secure in my purse and could no way fall out! but the hotel did email me the following day to inform me they had found my cards in the bottom of their safe, I had already cancelled my cards and thankfully no transactions had taken place. Our overall experience of this hotel was not very good for the amount of money they charged us,we would not return.

Stayed: May 2007