“Great location/amenities”
Review of Qubus Hotel Krakow

Qubus Hotel Krakow
Ranked #45 of 265 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 18 February 2009

Booked hotel for a mixed group of 12 people ranging from mid 30's to late 50's for a weekend break. We stayed for 3 nights and everyone thoroughly enoyed the hotel facilities.

The location isn't central but don't let that stop you booking this hotel; it is only a 20 minute walk from the main square and very close to the Jewish quarter which has it's own range of bars and restaurants. The closest restaurant we found was 5 minutes away (Cosa Nostra restaurant http://www.cosanostra.krakow.pl/) which had excellent food and service.

We arrived at Krakow airport with one of the quickest baggage turnarounds in memory; very impressive. I had pre-ordered a taxi for 12 people from www.aroundkrakow.pl and despite our flight being over an hour late they were there to meet us with 2 8-seater mercedes. The cost was zl128 for all 12 of us (10% reduction as I also booked the return journey).

We arrived at the hotel before the check-in time but there was no problem with the friendly and efficient staff. The rooms are well furnished and beds comfortable. Although internet is advertised we didn't have it (only 1 out of our 6 rooms had a keyboard); I'm sure if it was important reception would have supplied a keyboard. the room does have a complimentary safe and still/sparkling water which was replenished daily. The bathroom has complimentary shampoo, showerwash, and lotion.

A point to mention which we forgot is to ask for room with a river or city view (odd numbers); the views are great and much better than looking at the apartment block on the other side.

The hotel pool and spa was very clean and possibly under-used; at 5 on a Sunday we were the only ones there. Towels are provided and again I have to compliment the excellent facilities.

The hotel also had a treatment spa downstairs that did nails, massages etc

The breakfast was good although I perhaps wouldn't go as far as others to say that it was the "best" ever. I would leave it at that the selection was extensive. The lobby bar was adequate for a cold or hot drink and not too expensive for a 4* hotel.

Transport wise we got a tram into town on the first day (you can buy tickets in the magazine shop in the underpass at the tramstop). As someone already wrote the no13 will take you into the centre for zl2.50. I would re-iterate that unless you really, really don't like walking it would be a waste to buy a travel pass; you will take in lot more on foot.

Trips can be booked in the hotel, and the Auschwitz tour was zl90 per person. They picked you us at the hotel, took us to the centre point for the town pick up and then on to Auschwitz. The only down point was the tour didn't seem long enough although we were away for almost 6 hours. The tour guides are excellent and it was a valued trip on all counts.

All in all Krakow isn't a Prague, but it will provide a good value 3-4 day break; and if you go I would recommend this hotel. A word of warning if you have one or two too many vodkas, look after your money. One of our group mislaid her purse; although she got it back the next day from the hotel safe it was minus the sterling and zlotys cash. This is not a reflection on the hotel or staff as opportunism can strike anywhere but just take care.

Our taxi's arrived at the allotted time and it took around 30 minutes to the airport. Note that there are shops at the airport but not a great selection and not any food/bar outlets airside (that we saw at gate 2).

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
3  Thank Irishkisser
Write a ReviewReviews (1,700)

Reviewed 16 February 2009

The Qubus hotel exceeded our expectations in every way and the staff was absolutely fantastic.

The rooms were very clean, bright and spacious. The linens were soft and the beds were extremely comfortable. We particularly enjoyed the bathroom's heated floors.

The rooms had every amenity, including a flat screen TV, wireless internet, safe, umbrella, and plenty of pillows.

Qubus Hotel also has a fitness room, pool, hot tub and sauna, all of which are open year-round.

There are a restaurant and 3 bars on the premises and the hotel even had room service available.

The breakfast buffet was one of the best we have ever seen. There were plenty of breads, meats, cheeses, eggs, sausages, vegetables, juices, sweets and fresh coffee. It's too much to list here, but it was enough to fill you up until after lunch!

There was free parking outside, but a parking garage was available for around 10 euro a day.

The hotel is about 10 minutes away from the City Center and cost about 5 euro by taxi. It was perfect for a snowy weekend.

We'll definitely return to Krakow and when we do, we'll stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Granviaggiatori
Reviewed 2 February 2009

We booked the Qubus Hotel in Krakow because of the good reviews and the location - in town but not too close to the centre. I am happy to say that I cannot fault any aspect of the hotel whatsoever. The bar charges are reasonable, the breakfasts of a very high quality, the evening meals are not expensive (bearing in mind the quality) and the pool/spa is lovely. The rooms are compact but more than adequate, with modern clean furnishings and doors which close quietly - fantastic! The only gripe - and it's more of a cautionary note than a gripe - is that the underground parking isn't free, being subject to a small charge. However, I was more than willing to pay this for the excellent security it offered for our rental car and guests. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank mistressofthekeys
Reviewed 28 January 2009

We stayed here for three nights (24th-27th Jan 2009). The hotel was excellent. A three night stay is just about right.

The Qubus is located about 25 minutes walk from the Old Town center of Krakow or about 10 minutes using the trams which pass by the hotel every few minutes. A three day tram ticket costs 25zl (around £6) & can be purchased from ticket machines which are to be found next to some of the tram stops. A taxi from the hotel to the Old Town costs around £5. We had a room on the top (7th) floor with a great view of Krakow. The hotel is very modern & spotlessly clean. By UK standards the hotel was very reasonable - a round of four drinks typically cost less than £10, an evening dinner costs around £20 per head. The hotel itself cost about £90 per night for a room for two which included a first class buffet breakfast. The hotel had a nice pool & gym which were free to use. The staff were excellent & always keen to please. A taxi from Krakow Airport (known as John Paul II) to the hotel costs 80zl (about £18) and takes around 25 minutes.

The three main things to see whilst in Krakow are Auschwitz Concentration Camp, Wieliczka Salt Mine & the Old Town of Krakow. We booked tours to Auschwitz (90 zl each) & the Salt Mine (100 zl each) through the tour operator located in the basement of the hotel. The prices were very reasonable & included transport from the hotel. Use the tour operator - it's not worth the hassle of arranging the trips yourself. I would also recommend that you arrange the trips for separate days as both trips are fairly tiring. The Auschwitz tour is harrowing & is a reality check reminding us of man's inhumanity to man, however it's not to be missed. The Salt Mine tour is fascinating although you need to be fairly fit to descend the steps into the mine. Both tours provided excellent English speaking guides.

it's worthwhile setting aside a day of your visit to explore the historic buildings and Churches of Old Town Krakow. The shops are still fairly traditional - butchers, bakers, grocers etc, and are reminiscent of the shops in the UK some years ago. There are modern shopping centers, one of which is located just across the bridge from the hotel - but don't expect too many bargains as the prices are similar to the UK.

Lastly, there are plenty of cash machines around so obtaining zlotty's from your UK bank account is not a problem.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
4  Thank francog
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Had a great stay at the Qubus! Much better than a 4star I was expecting. Very new hotel. Superbly equipped rooms - with free wi-fi, internet terminal in each room, flat screen TV, underfloor heating in bathroom, iron and ironing board, umbrella and the list goes on! Together with a great view from the upper floors looking over the river to the old town and best of all the penthouse indoor swimming pool and jacuzzi with sauna and steam room was amazing, espicially after braving the cold winter weather! There are also 2 swanky bars which are part of the hotel complex including an underground jazz club with free music most nights!

The only draw back is the hotel is not in the old town centre, but the tram stop is just across the road and its less than 10mins and 50pence into the centre. Krakow is otherwise a great city to visit for 3-4days, with day trips to Auschwitz and the salt mine recommended. Cheap food, drink and a great night life!

2  Thank IASR
Reviewed 15 January 2009

The wife and I booked a Luxury Queen room , my first question to a passing manager was , is this a Lux Queen ? , he said it was . The reason being it was no bigger than any other double room that we had been in , in other hotels 3* or 4* , I certainly would not say it was a luxury room . The room was kept spotlessly clean and I must admit the bed really comfortable , where as hotel beds normally give me back ache .
The first night at the hotel we eat in the hotel restaurant , not impressed at all . The portion of meat i got was so small , I have never seen that small a portion , how people think you are going to eat there again after I don`t know . After that we eat out at night and got a lot more on the plate . I recommend the Chimera Restaurant for good food at a good price and plenty on the plate . Even when you added the taxi fare there and back the total was less than that the hotel restaurant bill .
The Qubus Breakfast is OK if you not English , it was a typical continental , ham, cheese etc . They had scrambled eggs half scrambled in a hot covered cover , bacon and some sort of sausage wich was not very hot and the same every moring there after . No fried eggs , poached eggs or baked beans . It was OK for just a long weekend but any longer and you would be well fed up with eating the same thing every day with no change .

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2008

I was glad that this hotel was not in the centre of Krakow as most Krakow buildings are dirty / decrepit, and it was good to put a little distance...

A lovely position next to the river Vistula and across the bridge from Kazimierz. Next to a tram stop.

The accommodation was excellent - very clean. My wife found the pillows to be an awkward size / shape. Tea-making equipment in the bedroom would have been appreciated. Everywhere was very warm, though my sons tell me that the water in the swimming pool was quite cool.

I found the staff to be generally very warm and welcoming, though my wife felt that one of the waiters was curt.

I should give you the gen on the internet position: in my room there was internet available through 3 sources: wi-fi, ethernet cable, and TV. My sons' bedroom was different: internet was only available through wi-fi and ethernet cable. 2 PCs were also available in the hotel's business centre.

My sons enjoyed the swimming pool, jacuzzi, steam room and fitness room - I myself never got round to using them.

The best thing about this hotel was the breakfast - simply wonderful. I used to get-up really early just so as to enjoy breakfast the sooner. I think the catering staff were a little surprised that we ate so much, but it was their own fault for making the food so delicious. Really fresh bread.

If I came back to Krakow I would almost certainly stay at the same hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family