“Friendly atmosphere, clean, central”

Good Bye Lenin - Pub & Garden Hostel!
Ranked #73 of 418 Speciality Lodging in Krakow
Taipei
“Friendly atmosphere, clean, central”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at this hostel for 1 night only however we were pleased to find it was very clean, the staff were friendly and helpful and it was really central (everything within walking distance). Breakfast was also pretty good for the hotel, and there is a nice bar downstairs which could be used for socialising

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Okay, so I've stayed in several hostels throughout my recent trip to Europe but this was by far the worst. The staff were reasonably friendly and showed us to our room...on further inspection we found:
- The floor hadn't been cleaned and was full of dust etc
- A half drunk can of red bull inside the wardrobe along with several other bits if rubbish including receipts and even coins

The pillows and bed were extremely uncomfortable. This is a party hostel- which is fine, I don't mind music being in or chatter- however there seemed to be no cut off point and the very loud music, talking and shouting went on until about 4am and we could hear it loud and clear being placed in a room for two right above the door. What we also failed to realise is that there is a railway line that runs about 10 yards parallel to the hostel with all night heavy goods trains which we stopped us from getting any sleep as they were so loud. In addition, there was no fan or attempt at making the rooms cooler whatsoever and we were forced to sleep with the window open to try not to melt- at the detriment of any sleep.

The quirky decorations hold promise and character and the bar is a nice addition...but if you so actually want to pay for at least a few hours sleep and a basic standard of cleanliness then I strongly recommend you find somewhere else- preferably well away from this location. Waste of money and time.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Paris, France
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stayed at the Good bye Lenin hostel during 4 days and it is was very good.
Reception people very kind, always smiling, and always helpful.
The place was full of backpackers, lovers, families from all nationalities
A very good place to stay !

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yvan45
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The outside of the hostel is very misleading, as it is down a small alley way covered in graffiti. However, on arrival I found that the staff were extremely friendly and helpful in every way. They informed us on trips, walking tours and great pub crawls. The rooms were very clean, but very old fashioned in layout and choice of furniture. Very small hostel so it is quite easy to get to know the other lodgers. Free breakfast in the morning, with a great selection of breads, cereals, cheeses and meats. Kitchen is open at all times, so for those traveling on a budget it is a great place to cook your own food. It is about a 15 minute walk to the center square. The showers were in my experience the worst part of the hostel as there were only two upstairs, so most mornings there was a wait, they over flowed very easily and the shower head was not attached to the wall, therefore, making it uncomfortable to shower.
The hostel is quite quirky as it has old cut out pictures plastered to the wall, alternative music playing at all times and cool funky decor downstairs in the kitchen and in the 'chill' area.
Over all, good experience, worth a visit if your planning on a trip to Krakow.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hostel was nothing short of wonderful. There was a free breakfast which outdid all of the other free breakfasts i have had in my travels. fresh bread, coffee, tea, meats, cheeses, nutella, jams, vegetables... all included in the price (aka free!)
the receptionists were very helpful and i had a great experience with one that i would like to share:
we showed up very late and were shown to our rooms very quietly. however, when we got settled, we noticed that it was hot and very stuffy in the room. we tried to open the windows but the were stuck. it being very late at night, we didn't want to wake the sleepers, so i got up and went to reception to ask for her help with the window. she tried her best but the window was totally jammed. there was no way i could sleep in that room, so she thought for a second and said "just please give me one second" and she hurried back to the front desk, and unplugged the fan that she was using and handed it to me. it was the best option we had so i gratefully accepted, and thankfully it made a difference in the room! i thought that was a very kind gesture. (fyi: the next morning, in the daylight, we managed to get the window open and slept comfortably for the rest of the stay)

the front desk was always helpful, they gave us directions and advice for weird requests like how to say strange phrases in polish and where the best tattoo parlor was.

the downstairs is a great place to hang out, fully equipped with a bar and a giant screen that we watched the world cup games on. and they have a pool table, too. and it's free! the hostel was in a great location, about a 10 minute walk to the main square.

overall a wonderful experience!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ColleenVZ
Massapequa, New York
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights in a 4 female dorm with one other friend and two strangers. I felt safe, comfortable and I was able to lock my stuff in a locker under the bed. The staff was awesome and there 24-hrs. They were very helpful and gave us recommendations and helped book a tour. There's a full kitchen so you can make your own food. There is a food store across the street too which is convenient. Showers were good if you have ever lived in a college dorm and had to use showers there. Just bring flip flops. Overall GREAT experience and I totally recommend it!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is close to the lobby if you want WiFI in your room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

I stayed at the Goodbye Lenin Hostel and Bar for 2 nights back a few weeks ago and was very impressed with the service I received. Upon arrival, the receptionist was super friendly to help me get settled and provide me with all the necessary information I needed on Krakow city. The rooms themselves are quite spacious ( I shared a 10 bed dorm ) with a private bathroom with hot showers. Downstairs in the basement of the hostel there is a full bar with cheap beers on tap - 7 zloty, and several game tables. The common room is very well laid out with plenty of tables for large groups and small groups. Although I didn't use it, I noticed the hostel has a large kitchen area which can be used to cooking your own meals if you choose to do so. I think what I enjoyed most about GBL hostel was the charismatic decor and awesome soviet style murals scattered throughout the building. For me I found it exceptionally different and very creative to set this hostel out on its own as one of Krakow's finest. I highly recommend you spend your time here - you won't regret it!

Room Tip: There's also free breakfast included! It's nothing special but if you're travelling chea...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo