“Management has cancelled our reservation to stop us leaving a review!!!”
Review of Blue Aparthotel

Blue Aparthotel
Ranked #69 of 412 Speciality Lodging in Krakow
London, United Kingdom
“Management has cancelled our reservation to stop us leaving a review!!!”
Reviewed 1 January 2012

The experience my girlfriend and I have had with this hostel has been so bad it is almost unbelievable. Kept awake by partying, shouted at by the management for complaining and had our reservations intentionally cancelled to stop us commenting on booking.com...

We recently stayed two nights at the Blue Hostel, mainly because it offered low rates and a central location. We booked it through booking.com.

When we checked in the manager told us that there was a misunderstanding between English and Polish and that the advertised 'double room' we booked was actually a twin room. We didn't want to find another place so we accepted this little 'misunderstanding'. The room was on the third floor and we noted that the building didn't have an elevator, so pretty bad for anybody with limited mobility. We found the room clean and the comfortable, but very noisy. We were woken up numerous times during the first night by people simply coming and going, and people working in the courtyard outside very early in the morning.

The second night of our stay was, put simply, like going to war. There was a large group of guests drinking and listening to loud music in the common room when we returned at 2230. The common room is situated in an area open to all the bedrooms, so naturally the party could be heard in all the bedrooms. The hostel's rules (written in Polish only) which are printed on laminated paper and stuck everywhere say that there should be quiet after 2200, and we asked the group to kindly keep the noise down as we wanted to rest. When they just shrugged us off we called the manager at 2330, who was very rude and told us that he couldn't do anything and that WE should tell them to be quiet ourselves. He even said that if they didn't stop we should call the POLICE! When we said that this was completely unacceptable customer service and that we either wanted to move to a different room or get a full refund, he said it was impossible. As a last resort we told him that if he didn't come and enforce his own rules then we would leave a very negative review on Booking.com. He then came up from the ground floor and banged on our door, shouting at us telling us that we were the disruptive ones and that he was going to cancel our reservation so that we couldn't comment on Booking.com. Well, he has been true to his word. Today I received an email saying that my reservation was cancelled due to a NO SHOW at that I had to pay the 80 PLN cancellation fee.

As I cannot leave a comment on Booking.com now I am leaving one on Trip Advisor as it is a better, more open platform. I feel extremely angry about the treatment we received at Blue Hostel and urge everybody to spend a little extra money and stay somewhere else. This business does not deserve to have customers.

Room Tip: Any room not near the common room.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Hudson621

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2011

Rates with a hostel in Bratislava that I stayed in, in terms of shady guests staying here. Didn't feel particularly safe and left after one night. Didn't bother asking for my money back for the other 2 nights from the staff either as they were completely rude and slightly aggressive with me when I arrived. I don't know what it is with some hostels in Eastern Europe, they can really be magnets for some very weird people.

The place was also dirty and shabby. I slept on top of other clothes I brought with me. Not the best environment to have a rest in when backpacking round Europe...

Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank streviews

Travellers are raving about these Krakow hotels

Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed 25 February 2011

Since this was my first stay in hostel ever and after reading all bad reviews here, I realy didn`t know what to expect. But fortunatly, I was relifed as soon as I got there.
I stayed in Blue 3 nights, during New Years holidays, in doubleroom ( no.10 on the I level). Owner greet us at recepcion and gave us kays (2 sets, bouth for my frend and me). Room was very clean, heating was great (very important since outside was -20C° at night). Breakfast was OK - toast, cheese, ham, butter, milk, ceralies, tea, quite enough.
Best thing is location, 300m from Main Square and reasonable price.
I would definetly stay in Blue hostel againg, and I`m looking forward to see Krakow hopefully in spring or summer this time.

• Stayed January 2011
1 Thank DraganBG
sligo
Reviewed 22 January 2011

service is really bad!!! the owner is not nice at all!!! i felt like a baby when he shout at me, because i wasn't happy from room which i got!!!i wouldn't recomend that hostel for anybody!!!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank oliviiia
Krakow, Poland
Reviewed 12 December 2010

I stayed at Blue Hostel some time ago with my husband, the place was fine, not so HQ standard but just fine. All I should complain about is the staff, I mean the owner of the hostel was very harsh and unkind. The day we should have left the room, we just came down the stairs and wanted to give him the keys back but he asked us so agrily to look at the clock and it was 2 minutes after the time limit so he threatened us that we were to pay for the next day... Next time we wanted to stay at the hostel he didn't want us there and kept repeating 'goodbye, goodbye' in our faces. We felt like trash. Never more....

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank justkissmypuckerup
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 November 2010

I had a very bad experience at Blue Hostel in Krakow. From the moment I walked in I felt it was unsafe. The staff was extremely rude and when I wrote a review I told my experience of the hostel and the next day in my personal email I got a nasty letter from the worker. I thought that was completely unprofessional. It was so bad I only made it through one night-I had to leave and go stay somewhere else. The room was dirty and I had to sleep on top of the covers and because I didn't feel comfortable with the other guests that were staying there I had to also sleep with all my luggage. Do not recommend it here.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank ireye
London
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Okay, so i’ve stayed in some pretty dodgy hostels in some pretty dodgy places in the world but this really takes the biscuit as being one of the most badly managed, unwelcoming hostels imaginable.

Firstly, I must stress that the rooms themselves are quite pleasant, clean and comfortable. The location is also okay (although there are plenty of hostels nearer to the old town centre).

My real issue is the reception or the lack there of... I arrived and was told that my room would be ready at 2pm and so left my backpack in the storage room to explore the area and come back later. I didn’t end up returning to the hostel until just after 10pm and found no one on the reception. In spite of ringing the bell, no one answered. I tried the alternative buzzer that indicated that assistance would come a few minutes later. This was in fact the very angry receptionist storming up the stairs asking why I had disturbed him at this time. He informed me that the reception is only open until 10pm. I was obviously apologetic (even though most hostels in Europe seem to be 24 hour) but was then called a ‘stupid little American’. I’m not American. Disturbing him after 10pm was my mistake but if this was so important, maybe guests should be informed on arrival.

The next day was raining relentlessly so i spent most of the day in the hostel. The internet wasn’t working so i kept on popping downstairs to ask on reception whether there was anything they could do. The four times i checked (and i even pressed the buzzer of doom), no one was there to help. I suspected they may have a vendetta against me, until i found a bedraggled guest outside the hostel who had just arrived and hadn’t been let in for twenty minutes.

Later on in the evening (7.30pm, God forbid after 10pm), i returned with another guest to ask again about the internet and he had enquiries about phone chargers. After pressing the buzzer of doom we were met by the same guy who started yelling at me saying as if he was going to help me after i rudely disturbed him the other night. When the other guest enquired about the charger, he was met with (imagine shouting) ‘will you stop disturbing me. I am so tired of this. You have what is in your room’. And stormed off.

As a secondary school teacher in London... I have dealt with a fair amount of verbal abuse, but his attitude and rudeness was unbelievable.

Krakow is a beautiful city with lots of friendly people. Please try and see them and don’t stay here.

RE: Breakfast didn’t really bother me but one guy crudely exclaimed that the breakfast was so bad he wouldn’t serve it to a one night stand that looked like the back end of a bus. So if it’s continental you’re looking for, don’t expect it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo