“PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE”

Ranked #67 of 433 Speciality Lodging in Krakow
London
“PLEASE DON'T STAY HERE”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Okay, so i’ve stayed in some pretty dodgy hostels in some pretty dodgy places in the world but this really takes the biscuit as being one of the most badly managed, unwelcoming hostels imaginable.

Firstly, I must stress that the rooms themselves are quite pleasant, clean and comfortable. The location is also okay (although there are plenty of hostels nearer to the old town centre).

My real issue is the reception or the lack there of... I arrived and was told that my room would be ready at 2pm and so left my backpack in the storage room to explore the area and come back later. I didn’t end up returning to the hostel until just after 10pm and found no one on the reception. In spite of ringing the bell, no one answered. I tried the alternative buzzer that indicated that assistance would come a few minutes later. This was in fact the very angry receptionist storming up the stairs asking why I had disturbed him at this time. He informed me that the reception is only open until 10pm. I was obviously apologetic (even though most hostels in Europe seem to be 24 hour) but was then called a ‘stupid little American’. I’m not American. Disturbing him after 10pm was my mistake but if this was so important, maybe guests should be informed on arrival.

The next day was raining relentlessly so i spent most of the day in the hostel. The internet wasn’t working so i kept on popping downstairs to ask on reception whether there was anything they could do. The four times i checked (and i even pressed the buzzer of doom), no one was there to help. I suspected they may have a vendetta against me, until i found a bedraggled guest outside the hostel who had just arrived and hadn’t been let in for twenty minutes.

Later on in the evening (7.30pm, God forbid after 10pm), i returned with another guest to ask again about the internet and he had enquiries about phone chargers. After pressing the buzzer of doom we were met by the same guy who started yelling at me saying as if he was going to help me after i rudely disturbed him the other night. When the other guest enquired about the charger, he was met with (imagine shouting) ‘will you stop disturbing me. I am so tired of this. You have what is in your room’. And stormed off.

As a secondary school teacher in London... I have dealt with a fair amount of verbal abuse, but his attitude and rudeness was unbelievable.

Krakow is a beautiful city with lots of friendly people. Please try and see them and don’t stay here.

RE: Breakfast didn’t really bother me but one guy crudely exclaimed that the breakfast was so bad he wouldn’t serve it to a one night stand that looked like the back end of a bus. So if it’s continental you’re looking for, don’t expect it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank BeaFair

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Natie Woo
Reviewed 21 September 2009

The hostel is in a typical eastern europe cold concrete block, but staff were helpful. Just be aware once in the building there is a bell for reception, but sometimes the staff are on other levels doing work so you cannot always speak to a front desk. Rooms and decor is basic and wrap up as rooms can be cold, but so cheap. Right next to station and the town centre. Kitchen and bathroom facilities fine and free internet. You can help yourself to coffee and toast etc in the kitchen for free too.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Natie83
Brighton, England
Reviewed 30 January 2009

I only stayed in Blue Hostel for the night. I Went there with my little boy, my friend and her son. The owner of the hostel was very unfriendly. He definitely hates children so hopefully he will never has his own. It would be a disaster for them to have a dad who doesnt understand that children are children. They were very tired as we were flying from the UK and he made a remark about them being noisy. We felt like we couldnt breathe there. Children were very good and they were only laughing and being excited but as somebody has noticed earlier- walls are paper thin!!! The man was just very unprofessional. He didnt smile once, he didnt even say HELLO to my English friend. She felt she cant communicate with anyone there, we dont even know if he spoke English, he just made us feel very unwelcome. He didnt give us any information about kitchen (we didnt know we had to make breakfast ourselves), people were smoking in the toilet (smoking was banned there). The owner was NEVER at reception, we couldnt even work out how DVD player works, he just couldnt help at all. When we arrived he gave us sheets and told us to make our own beds! Disgraceful. Very bad manners, very unproffesional and very disappointing! I cant believe somebody with poor customer service like that runs the business. In the end we left our feedback as we were very unhappy and unsatisfied and the owner started to send nasty messages to me. I would never ever recommend to anybody to stay there. This place is a one big joke. The only plus is good location.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hostel is located on second floor (there is no lift!) its especially difficult with prams and baggages!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank Honest_traveller4

Travellers are raving about these Krakow hotels

Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2008

Superb location, very close to main square and near the station.
Room was clean, comfortable and had lockers, but slight smoke smell. Free internet. Towel provided on request.
On third floor - no lift.
Breakfast included but not great.
Helpful staff but a big criticism is that I booked a private en-suite and didn't get it. But there was never a queue for the bathrooms so would have been happy if expecting to share.

• Stayed April 2008
1 Thank Simply_Bob
Oldham, England
Reviewed 10 May 2007

Just got back from a two night stay at the Blue Hostel. I went with 11 other lads on a jolly and I couldn't fault it for the money. It cost us £7 per night with breakfast thrown in. You have to make it yourself - what do you want for £7.
We had 3 rooms, a twin ensuite, a quad and a six bunker all with lockers which were plenty big enough for our bags.
Bedding and a small towel was provided. 1st tip would be to make up the bed before you go out on the beer as it is double hard to make the bed when you are smashed on Lech and Jagermeister. The hostel also has free internet access, two bathrooms with shower, washing machine and as I said brekky thrown in. Breakfast was bread, (toaster available) ham cheese, eggs, yogurts in the fridge which was restocked regularly, tea & coffee.
I would deffo recommend this place to anyone, I would even take the Mrs and book the twin ensuite - she isn't a high maintenance girl though and is used to camping and B&B's etc.

• Liked — The price and the friendly chap on the front desk
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed May 2007