Amber Hotel
Orbitz.com
US$99
US$92
  • Pool
All reviewscherry vodkathe main squareold townquiet streetexcellent hotelsalt minesscrambled eggsvery helpful staffminute walklittle touchesside streetfamily roompacked lunchtea and coffeefresh fruitwonderful cityboutique hotel
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Just returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Amber with my partner and friends and we had a very enjoyable visit. The staff were very friendly and helpful; the hotel was spotlessly clean and the self-service breakfast was large and varied.

The hotel arranged our taxi transfer to the hotel and the taxi driver was waiting for us with a sign at arrivals. You pay the taxi driver direct and it's very reasonable - around £16. (80 PLN).

The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk from the main square/town centre so there's no need for taxis, etc, when exploring. The hotel also has a good selection of umbrellas for guest use in the reception area - pretty useful for our very wet weekend!

The reception staff also arranged our trip to Auschwitz at very short notice and provided a substantial packed lunch for approx £3 each (though there are several fast food outlets outside Auschwitz).

The only downside was that there was some serious building work going on at a neighbouring building - and the builders start work at 7am during the week! I guess the noise might not be too bad if you're in the central part of the hotel but we were in a corner room on the 1st floor, right next door to where the building work was taking place. I appreciate this is beyond the control of the hotel but it was very noisy if you wanted to lie in beyond 7am.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank barbietowers247
hotelamber10, Manager at Amber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Dear Travelers,

It warms my heart to read reviews such as yours. The staff here tries so hard to make each guest's experience unique and special, and we are all very pleased when we succeed in doing that. Thank you for taking the time to post such a lovely review. This is indeed, a pleasure to hear.
I am apologize that you were woken up by the worker team in the neighbouring building.We are very grateful for your understanding, agree that it is beyond our control. They are our neighbors, with whom we want to live in harmony and also to understand their situations. I have spoken to them regarding the noise and they agreed not to make any loud noise until after 09:00hrs and only during the week, not during the weekend. One again I’m really sorry that during your stay the work began before the specified time.
I would be more happy to have a chance to show alternative rooms in distant parts of the hotel and find comfortable room for you.

Please do contact me directly when you would like to return as I would personally like to oversee your stay.
If is anything I can assist you with please contact me at rezerwacje@hotel-amber.pl

With kind regards,
Paulina Zolkowska-Samorek

Reviewed 22 July 2012

Just got back from a 3night stay at the Hotel Amber and have to say its a great hotel Staff were very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean and breakfast was great .The location from the main square was within a 5min walk Would stay at the Amber again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank sunshine47
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Just got back from a four night stay at the Hotel Amber, flew with Ryanair and we had arranged with the hotel for a private transfer from the airport (80 Zloty) about £15, duly as we got through arrivals a driver was waiting with a board with our name on it, well worth it just e-mail the Amber and they will arrange it.

Upon arrival at the Amber we were shown to our room which was spotlessly clean, had a flat screen tv, a superb shower and excellent air con which came in really useful as the temperature was between 28 to 32 deg C during our stay.

Breakfast - there was a good selection of cold meats, eggs, salad, sausages, cereal, orange juice and coffee and tea were plentiful.

The front desk staff were very helpful and could not do enough for you, we had e-mailed and requested they arrange two trips for us, Auswitch and the Salt Mines, the Salt Mines is not for those with any walking problems as you descend 135 Metres via about 230 or more steps,

The Auswitch trip was from 09-00 pick up to about 16-00 back at the hotel the good thing is you have a dedicated guide and you do not have to be in earshot to hear all the information as you are supplied with a radio receiver and earphones to hear the info from your guide as you walk around.

The Auswitch trip was in our opinion the better of the two trips this cost £26.00 per person (Salt Mines was £27 per person) and do take advantage of the front desk arranging a packed lunch for you well worth the £3 or so it cost.

As for Krakow it'self - what a beautiful place the people were all very friendly, the best route to the square from the hotel is turn left out of the hotel and then left at the bottom of the street, also you will see a Pizza, Kebab restraunt as you turn left on the other side of the street, this is excellent value for money , a large 16" pizza, pasta, four large pieces of garlic bread plus two pints of beer cost about £12.

Further up the road on the right hand side you will see a small 24hr supermarket Kefirek these are located around the city and again excellent value for money.

For the smokers no need to wait for duty free to get your cheap cigs and rolling tobacco as on this same street again on the right hand side at the end of the street you will find a tobacconist which stocks all pipe, rolling tobacco plus cigs, Golden Virginia is 28 Zloty for 50mg (about £5.40) and John Player Superkings and Lambert & Butler Superkings are 118 Zloty for 200 (about £22) these are the same price in duty free.

It takes about 6 minutes to walk to the square from the hotel along this road and once there are numerous bars and eateries it is great in the evening as various street entertainers come round to each of the street bars and perform, price of a pint varies in the square as to the location of the bar, from 13 Zloty to 8 Zloty (2.60p to 1.60p) these were the price variants we paid, the food was very good and reasonably priced. Do not be afraid of venturing further back from the square as the food and drink prices are even cheaper

There are loads of shops to browse through although bartering does not seem to be encouraged.

All in all this was an thoroughly enjoyable visit, we will return YES

Will we stay at the Amber? YES YES YES

A superb hotel and excellent value for the £30 a night per person B&B we paid

Brian & Pam

Room Tip: Do not know about the rooms to the rear but our room faced the street and there were no noise problems at all
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank BJH54
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Hi,

I am just back from 4 nights stay at the Hotel Amber and i have to say - the hotel cleanliness, presentation and staff were excellent! I have read some comments about location....the presentation of the street outside hotel is relatively unimportant and not something teh hotel can do about it anyway but what i will say is that it was perfectly quiet and safe at night.

Nothing was too much trouble when help or advice was needed, The girls and guy on reception were superb - i will be returning to Krakow hopefully on many more occassions and i have no desire to find somewhere better to stay - the location is pretty perfect and quiet at night means a good sleep...on that note the only problem i had is that i am used sleeping on an 8" thick tempur mattress and the hotel mattresses were a bit thin for my bulky load so some mornings i was a little tender but that was maybe more down to my girth and all the walking and not the bed......

Thank you Hotel Amber for making my first trip to Krakow a very pleasant experience!

Warmest Regards & Thanks,
Kieran B

Room Tip: I have travelled the world and stayed in many hotels of varying standards, one simple rule applies, pay a bit more and you get more...this hotel is not expensive but worth the extra for better room ;0)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank KieranB1974
hotelamber10, Manager at Amber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Kieran,
Reading such a great report on our service and facilities is a real pleasure. I am happy that you enjoyed and appreciated all the small touches that we believe makes The Amber Hotel truly special. Our team strive to deliver the highest levels of personal service and I am delighted that we took such special care of you. Your praising comments serve as a great motivator to the team.
Please do let me know when you plan to return to us and I will be welcoming you back personally.
Yours sincerely,
Paulina Zolkowska-Samorek
hotel manager

Reviewed 7 June 2012

We enjoyed our 3 day stay at the Hotel Amber, but for the rate we paid, I expected more. I booked this hotel because of its location and it has a "fitness center", which is essential to my husband. We give it 4 stars because of the lack of facilities in the fitness center and the condition of them. He didn’t expect a professional gym, but the stationary bike didn’t work well and there was nothing else for a cardio workout.

Otherwise, I agree with all the positive comments from other reviews: very friendly reception staff, nice rooms and a very good breakfast with hot/cold foods which changed daily. The internet worked well in our room and the TV had CNN/BBC in English. We paid $173/night and don’t believe the value for the money was there – I expected more. There are no frigs in the room, but we left soda with the front desk to keep cold. Bathroom amenities were minimal. There is no parking at the hotel and we were directed to a parking lot which charged 50zt/night. Overall, it was a pleasant stay but not exceptional and I would probably look further when returning to Karkow.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple