Amber Hotel
US$171
US$103
US$92
  • Pool
All reviewscherry vodkathe main squareold townquiet streetexcellent hotelsalt minesscrambled eggsvery helpful staffminute walklittle touchesside streetfamily roompacked lunchtea and coffeefresh fruitwonderful cityboutique hotel
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Hello, I am a long time Tripadvisor user and first time reviewer.

We stayed at the hotel in late May on a vacation through central Europe. The hotel itself is in a decent location. The rooms are very small and the beds are not very comfortable. The breakfast is OK, not great. Location is decent, about a 10 minute walk to the Old Town.

The reason for the low rating is that I had the worst customer service experience in my years of traveling here. Upon checking in, we were directed to two rooms that had not yet been made up. The maid came in after us and told us that she needed an hour to clean the rooms. Knowing that the rooms were going to still be ours, we left our luggage and some of our belongings.

About an hour later, I realized that I couldn't find my passport. When we first entered into our rooms, I had some maps along with my passport and I had set those down in the room. Right away, I asked the front desk if the passport was picked up by the maid. They adamantly said no (without checking) and so I thought that I had possibly left it at the front desk when checking in, again, they said no. We searched through the entire room and hotel, not finding anything.

The next morning, I again went to the front desk and told them that it WAS likely to have been taken by the maid. I was not at all angry, but was firm and asked that they would check before I went to the Consulate for an emergency passport. Again, they said it wasn't taken and that i should be 'more careful' with my belongings. I went to get an emergency passport that day, assuming that I must have just lost it somehow.

Apparently, even though I had asked three times about this EXACT situation, the maid had, in fact taken it. They only found that out due to video footage. Of course, by that time, I had already paid $150 for an emergency passport. Upon them giving me back my original passport (which was then useless), they reprimanded me for not 'being more careful.' I asked for some compensation and I was basically laughed at. That evening, we talked to the front desk about going on a tour to Auschwitz; the front desk associate told us the time; we asked him to book four people on the tour the next day.

The next morning, we showed up at the right time and there was no bus. Apparently the front desk attendant didn't make the reservation and we had to scramble to get on a later tour.

Finally, I emailed the hotel upon returning to the states and expressed my disappointment in the whole passport issue. Since I mentioned Tripadvisor, the 'manager' accused me of 'blackmail.' Apparently, our ability, as consumers to write on this site when a negative experience occurs is called 'blackmail' by this hotel.

Again, I realize that this was our experience only, however I would consider staying somewhere else. Their willingness to take responsibility of problems is severly lacking.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank amerikajin777
hotelamber10, Manager at Amber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Sir, Travelers, our future Guests and Tripadvisor users,

I hope that this single opinion will not be taken into our account because a huge number of satisfied Guests proves our great service. However, this opinion is a very unjust and unfair and we are very sorry to read it. I respect my employees and I know how hard they work so I have to refer to that opinion.

I received an email from you with information: "In the end, if you are willing to refund me the $135 that i had to spend, and will be happy. Otherwise, I will be forced to write a negative review on tripadvisor /yelp. Please let me know. " who would not have treated as the blackmail?

You did not get compensation from the hotel so you went to the bank and they send us complaines but after our explanation they also decided that it was not our fault of lossing your passport. Apparently not everything took place as you wrote in opinion and now will refer to the points :
1. decent location? 650 meters from our hotel to the Main Square, but it is a subjective opinion the same like with comfortable beds
2. only one room had been not ready and we apologize you a few times for that but it was just misuderstandig with the numbers of clean rooms because we wanted for your comfort check in early then the normal time
3. you took all your stuff from the room (lagguage as well)-all was on video, you left only leaflates with passport inside, which housekeeping thought that was previous guests, that is way they said that did not found your stuff in the room
4. you did not know where your passport was (especially after one hour), because you blamed for 2 days recepcionist girl as she did not give you back the passport after check in->not true
5. you did not inform us that you go in the morning to the Consulate as you know that we would be checking monitoring the same day at 11:00
6. we have made ​​every effort to find your passport and we found it
7. we never laughed at so important matters like loosing passport by foregin people
8. you went on correct tour to Auschwitz, the pick up time did not change

I still do not understand that you did not want to speak with me (the hotel manager) if there was so many bad things during your stay.
At the end it looks like the worse thing for us was to find the passport ;(
(sorry that all hotel staff care about your situation and tried to solve the problem)

I hope that this nagative opinion finally give you a peace.

Best regards,
Magdalena Wesolowska
Hotel Manager

Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hotel is a very short walk to the main square so the location was great.
The reception staff were excellent, friendly and informative.
Breakfast was good.
All in all the quality of the hotel, location and staff was outstanding.
We went with 4 other couples and we all had the same views.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank TomIrv
Reviewed 15 July 2014

The location was perfect, 1 1/2 block from one of the plazas, is a safe walk back. Tram the same distance opposite direction. Breakfast, super good. The front desk ladies really speak English and they are wonderful giving you directions. YOU control the temperature of you AC. The companies they have tours with are in mini buses and they pick you up, no extra charge. The internet is free for more that one electronic and do NOT need a code daily. Do not expect an impressive facade, very simple. Bakery with sandwiches 1/2 block away. I hope to go back soon.

Room Tip: Don't get the ones close to stairs or elevators, you will get the party goes coming back
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2014

v.nice hotel and good location, pity there isn't a restaurant or bar food breakfast food could be improved slightly also. Very good service overall, staff helpful and friendly also. Staff were very obliging and accommodating. Would recommend this hotel for people looking for a central location and visiting krakow centre.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 6 July 2014

A cheerful welcome to a smartly decorated hotel. The rooms looked lovely and were generously sized. The road outside at the front was a bit noisy at times but there was a double glazed window to close with air con to compensate if the noise became too bad, we didnt need it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Oattips
hotelamber10, Kierownik at Amber Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for revewing your recent stay at Amber Hotel and many thanks for your kind words.

I am glad that all went well and you had a good time.

I will be delighted to share your comments with the rest of my team and we very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind Regards