“Stylish and Sexy”
Review of Hotel Stary

Hotel Stary
Ranked #57 of 267 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 8 January 2012

I am writing this review having stayed at the hotel a few times (including having our wedding there) so we have a pretty good idea overall about this place.

First thing you notice is how understated this place is. The building outside is down a street just off the square and, as per a lot of buildings in Krakow, there is grandiose frontage to the building but it's not overwhelming in any way. It's when you walk in that you find out how cool this hotel is. The door leading in gives you a good first impression. Quality tan stained huge wooden door - only someone who has really thought about it would put that as their main feature piece. Inside, you have quality decor but nothing too outrageous, just bits of the same wood as the reception counter, the dark iron statues which add to the general vibe of the hotel and the low level lighting to give it a nice atmosphere. More important is that they have tried to keep it the theme of new and old. So, you have the old (whether original or not I do not know) frescos, brickwork, arches, etc and then the new i.e. lighting, lifts, floor, parts of the wall. It is a lovely mix and coupled with the overall atmosphere of the place, you feel very comfortable upon entry. It's not a Four Seasons/ Mandarin Oriental luxurious feel but a modern take on a 5 star theme and it works very well. Just go to the library bar on the ground floor and the seats/ lighting/ whiskey bar/ atmosphere will give you a good idea of what I am talking about!

Second, the rooms. Wow is all I can say. We have stayed in junior suites and above so I cannot comment on how small other rooms are. The rooms we have stayed in, however, were fantastic. Each time we have stayed on the first floor so we had the super high ceilings and a large room/ bathroom. the beds are large and comfortable and each room has a lovely old wooden desk with a great big wooden wardrobe - all in the same style as you see throughout the hotel. The bathrooms are very nice too with a jacuzzi bath in your room and a separate shower, towels in abundance and all very nicely laid out for you.

Thirdly, the food. The breakfast is great. You have a buffet of cold meats, breads, yoghurts, fruit, pastries. All lovely and there is no way they will run out as they replenish it so often. Then you get to choose one of the hot dishes, freshly cooked for you (and not sitting in some horrible heater) so every morning you can pig out on bacon, eggs, smoked salmon, etc. Great!!! Moreover, we were so impressed with the tastings for our wedding, that we actally booked to have our new year's eve party in the hotel. The food is probably the best in Krakow and you'd be hard pushed to find a better place in Krakow to eat, especially if you don't want the typical Polish fare and we have eaten at a fair few places including the Pod Roza, Szara, Morskie Oko, Wesele, La Campana (fantastic in summer - a must for sitting in their beautiful garden) etc, etc. Make a trip to the roof bar for tea or for the evening - great views of Mariacki and the square and a gem of a place to be to escape the hustle and bustle. I hope this review doesn't then crowd it out like crazy.......

Lastly, the spa. Although we have never managed to have a massage there, we love the basement pool and sauna/ steam room. I am not sure what facilities the other hotels have but these ones were very stylish and very intimate; they were small but not crowded and very well maintained.

Lastly, if you go, try and speak to restaurant manager Tomasz. He helped us organise our wedding and was superb. He took deliveries of our favours, our decorations; he gave us advice on local make up artists, hairdressers. Basically, we cannot rate the guy highly enough and he made each stay special for us and our wedding a totally unbelievable experience. Just note though, he is the restaurant manager and not the manager of the hotel so maybe you shouldn't bother him unless you intend to eat there/ have a wedding there :-). You'll love it here.

One word of warning though, if there is a wedding, you try and get a room as far away from the breakfast room i.e. the front dining room. Polish weddings go on (ours went onto 5am) so if you want to sleep, get a room at the top near the back of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HKFooey

Reviewed 6 January 2012

Less than a 30 second walk to the market square at the centre of the old town. Beautiful looking hotel both in public areas and rooms, friendly staff and lovely included breakfast. Great value. Minor niggle was that although room was lovely it was on 1st floor and looked over an atrium so felt a bit claustrophobic not looking out to the outdoors but was comfy and clean room with an amazing jacuzzi bath and it was only a std room. If you dont get a deluxe room then see if you can get a std room higher than the 1st floor so it feels a bit more open.

Room Tip: We just had a std room on the first floor which overlooked the glass roof of the dining room and as...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank annap250878
Reviewed 5 January 2012

When asked what sort of trip this was by Trip Advisor, I had to state 'Business'...

In reality it was an overnight stay that would be mainly consumed by a Xmas party, thrown by the company I'm currently consulting for. So in reality it had very little to do with business and rather too much to do with alcohol.

Now, I'm not best described as tea-total..I don't like tea for starters, so the concept of being totally tea-based would probably render me dead within a week...but likewise I'm not a lush. Possibly somewhere in between, a happy medium if you will.

Anyway, when a bar is free, the company is good and the surroundings convivial I have been known to overindulge.

And Krakow offered up the perfect storm of ingredients that created the most amazing evening that was obviously so memorable I remember almost nothing of it.

Apparently, the meal 110 metres below ground in a Salt Mine was awe inspiring...the subterranean bar we retired to was oozing atmosphere and class...even the prerequisite nocturnal pizza consumption was top drawer...or at least this is what I was told the morning after the night before.

You see, all I remember is arriving at Krakow airport, walking into the stunning main square and then nothing...total darkness...before a pesky alarm rudely awoke me from my slumber in a stunning room at the Hotel Stary.

I say room...I actually mean bathroom. I woke in the bath. A jacuzzi bath. Thankfully not full or indeed switched on.

After attempting a reanimation procedure via the wonderful rainfall shower, I staggered out of the room...that I believe was red...or what it grey?...before heading out of the hotel and into a cab to the airport.

So, as reviews go, this isn't the most informative I'll concede. But from what my less inebriated colleagues have told me, the staff were wonderful, the rooms sumptuous and the service second to none.

I'll take there word for it...as I believe should you.

Room Tip: Stay sober enough to enjoy the whole experience!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Wolfsbait
Reviewed 7 December 2011

We had a 2-night weekend stay and everything was very good - rooms, breakfast, staff & location. All this at a very reasonable price.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2011

I stayed at Hotel Stary for 3 nights, main purpose of trip was to see the sights of Krakow. The hotel is right in the city centre and only a few minutes walk from the main square. My room was large and the bathroom had a jacuzzi bath in it, really nice after a day of sightseeing. The swimming pool and gym was excellent and the atmosphere there was really relaxing, they provide robes, water, fruit etc. I only ate breakfast at the hotel, which was nice, excellent quality. I would recommend this hotel for business or leisure. Would return

Room Tip: I had a room with a balcony, facing on the street, still quiet.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank juls1809
Reviewed 24 October 2011

After reading some reviews which said staff not helpful I was a bit reluctant.
However so pleased we went. The staff, rooms and breakfast was excellent.
2 couples went and we all said the same, will use this Hotel again in the future.
The situation couldnt have been better, a stones throw from the market square. Lovely.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank celeryEastYorkshire
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My polish fiance and I decided to get married in Krakow and we chose Hotel Stary for the reception. We spent a lot of time with the restaurant manager Tomasz and I think we tested his patients but he never showed this and was always willing to help with all our arrangements. The day turned out to be absolutley wonderful with fantastic food and service from Tomasz and his team for which we are extremely grateful. Thank You!

Room Tip: Room 100 was huge and amazing!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple