“Wonderful hotel with excellent staff and service”
Review of Hotel Stary

Hotel Stary
Ranked #55 of 259 Hotels in Krakow
Oslo, Norway
“Wonderful hotel with excellent staff and service”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

As a first-timer in Krakow, Hotel Stary (along with the location and the christmas spirit) made me fall in love with Poland.
We came 23rd of December as a family of 6 adults, and did not know what to expect for the holiday, but a friendly, service-minded and professional staff welcomed us to a wonderful stay.
The hotel is situated at the corner of Stare Miasto, and at the hotel´s entrance you will have the beautiful Mary´s Church on your right hand (going in to the hotel) - a perfect way to both start and end the day.
The rooms are big and decorated in dark colours and robust materials, with nice AC and heath-systems, a well-equipped minibar and satelite-TV (witch we never used).
The only thing that could have been better is the beds: but that is very individual - for me the bed was too hard...

In the basement you will find a wonderful spa, with a steambath, finish sauna, 2 swimming pools, a saltcave and training facilities: perfect for relaxation!

When it comes to the restaurant: I have been dining a lot at different restaurants around the world - and this is world class at its best!
At Christmas eve we had a wonderful 6-course dinner, but it ended at 10 courses.... and everything was perfect!
We even had to go there the last day - just to check if it was the same service and tasty food: and it was!

All in all: excellent staff, a beautiful well-located hotel with a relaxing spa and a superior restaurant! I would recommend the hotel for both friends, couples, business but maybe not for families with small children.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank anna s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Park Ridge, Illinois, Usa
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I visited this hotel many times.Best time to stay its Christmas . Every time I like this place more and more. This hotel its located in the center of Krakow right next to RYNEK and SUKIENNICE and its about 5 min walking distance to USA Consulate. Its FIRST Class hotel located in old building but its renovated to be very modern place with swimming pool sauna and SALT CAVE .Rooms are verry clean . Food its unbeatable plus BAR on top floor - super /must see/.About NOISE- I didint expirience any.

Room Tip: If possible take suite. This Hotel its not cheap $200-$300 a night but definitelly worth the money...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mrugalik
Bramhall, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Fantastic fusion of old and new building styles makes this an interesting, eclectic hotel. Our room was well appointed, spacious and very clean. The staff were friendly and helpful and this combined with a fabulous location for the tourist areas, especially the main square makes it the No 1 hotel in Krakow for me. The spa is beautiful and relaxing and the dining room (which we only used for breakfast) was a delightful way to start each day. It was December when we stayed at the Stary but we did check out the roof garden and I can imagine it would be fantastic in summer as it has a beautiful view over the square to the spires of the main church.

We had a fabulous stay at the Stary and I would recommend it even to the most demanding of my friends and we will be returning in the near future. Ms F Carey Cheshire

Room Tip: Like all cities there are always building works going on and at the moment they are next door so ask...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fiona C
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Let's start with the good things: the location is unbeatable, the junior suite is spacious with beautiful wooden furniture (and a walk in closet!), the spa and the pool make you unwind and forget about everything else (the masseur is the best if you wish to have a deep tissue massage, but not gentle enough for a relaxing session), the service is impeccable and the decor in the common areas is class.

the bad thing : THE NOISE. It is not a problem during the weekend, but our Monday morning started at 7 am sharp and ended with us checking out early and moving to Copernicus. Definitely recommended - for weekend stays during construction work period ONLY.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NATinCPH
Rayleigh, Essex
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I was a little worried about staying in this hotel after reading some of the reviews re noise. However, maybe our timing was perfect for during our 3 night stay we did not experience any noise whatsoever. Not sure if building work has finished or the fact we arrived the day before a national holiday (1st Nov).
The hotel is very much a boutique hotel, minimalistic and very stylish. Our room was comfortable although a little dark and like a previous reviewer mentioned, we too, had a problem with some of the lights not working. We did mention this to reception on our first night and bulbs removed but not replaced until day three and then one of them stopped working. The bathroom was very clean and stylish and although we had a jacuzzi bath we found out on the last evening (whilst trying to use it) that this too didn't work, which was a little disappointing.
Breakfast was included in our rate and we were very impressed with the breakfast area, which again in keeping with the style of the hotel,was very stylish and although not the largest buffet on offer, there was more than enough choice especially as you could have a range of hot choices too.
In fact, we were so impressed with the presentation of our scrambled and poached eggs we decided to book a table in the evening and again were not disappointed.
The one thing you cannot fault this hotel on is the location! Right on the edge of Krakow's main square and within easy walking distance of many of Krakow's sights.
One final thing to comment on is the spa facilities. Although we didn't have any massages we did make use of the pool, steam and sauna. Very relaxing after a day of sight seeing.
All in all a very enjoyable stay - would definitely return.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DebLRayleigh_Essex
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This was my first trip to Poland and it happened to be for a conference, which was being held at this hotel so decided to stay at this hotel. I booked 2 rooms one for me and another for a colleague. I was very kindly upgraded to a bigger room which was great. The building is a mix of ultra modern and large old townhouse. The decor of very tasteful and subtle. Clean lines, minimal very luscious toiletries. The exposed beams in the rooms, the wooden furniture and animal skin rug made me feel like I was in a chateau. It is clear that the interior of the bathrooms take their inspiration from the famous salt-mines, with a Jacuzzi bath and separate rain shower.

The Jacuzzi bath could do with a bit of a clean out as it pumped out a lot of dirt when I turned it on. We ate dinner, breakfast, lunch and had room service while we were there; the quality of the food was really very good. The room service menu could do with being extended a little as it is quite minimal, I have to say they made the best tuna sandwich I have ever eaten.

There were some lovely touches thrown in like a fruit bowl in my room and a turn down service.

However, what lost the hotel a 5 star review from me was the fact that the construction next door was SOOOO loud, we were not informed of this prior to arriving. I was rudely awoken by drilling and banging that felt like it was in my room at 7am! my upgraded rooms didnt seem like such a treat anymore. Wish I'd have had a quiet room in another part of the building. Breakfast was not included in the price of the room which given how expensive it was it should have been. I had requested an iron & ironing board to be delivered to my room which took them an hour to deliver. The reception staff were not very friendly. on the plus side the housekeeping, taxi service and bell boys were amazing!

The 6th floor of the hotel has an open air bar where we had drinks and canapes, with a fantastic view of the old square.

My colleague and I made full use of the spa the next day and I even booked myself in for a warm honey massage. The pools area is very lush; I had my massage in the salt room. I wish it was a little more "private" having to get semi-naked when I could easily be seem from the pool was a bit odd. My massage was lovely the sensation of having warm honey poured onto skin was very relaxing. a bit of a mission to wash off, but well worth it.

I would stay here again and make sure I ask for a room that is FAR away from any construction so I wont be woken up at 7am! An otherwise pretty great experience.

Room Tip: ask the reception to give you a room as far away from any construction work as possible.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Germany
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Do not book it!

The hotel is under heavy restauration work, as the hotel expands to the neighbor house. This means: starting at 7.00 or 7.01 am (I can only say it was definietly not 7.02!) heavy hammer work is starting, definitely waking you up with a cry. My further unhappy experience after the first short night: at the second evening, at Saturday, the hotel was booked by a 100 people group and a life band taking the whole lobby (atrium) until 1am in the morning. Unfortunatly, almost all rooms have access from the atrium, i.e. due to the unsealed room doors: you can here the life band. OK, I took my earplugs with me so I did not hear the life band any more. However, as the band and all its stuff had to be removed until the next morning and the chairs and tables had to be arranged until the next morning, uninstallation work started as from 1 am until 4am in the morning!!! No ear plugs can rescue in this situation. When checking out in the morning (200€ per night) I told the reservation desk that I was unhappy with my stay due to the short nights... You can not imagine, the young man did not even make react in any way to my remark and used my credit card and gave me the debit note as being deaf-mute. Finally, when signing the credit card note, I again started saying: You often have such kind of complaints, don't you. And he answered: "Yes. I do, very often. But according to Polish law, worers can start at 7 am." I told him that this is not a question of law but a question of the ordering hotel. If the hotel says to the workers, start at 8, they have to accept that. He immediately agreed and told me that he had transfered the complaints to the management in the past. The outcome...

Further, the rooms are very dark. They are clean, the bathroom is new and nice. Not all lights were working in my room.

We had a conference and booked the large conference room. Acoustics have been unbelievable bad. Never book this room. Permanent beamer problems!

A nightmare for a 5 star hotel which is perfectly located.

Restauration work is continuing until Mai 2014!!!

Room Tip: just avoid this hotel at least until Mai 2014!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business