“Great location,”

london
“Great location,”
Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights

Stylishly Refurbished house off main square. Top location.

Stayed on room 600 on top floor. Found lighting system very annoying and not bright enough. Also no blackout curtains and roof lights in entrance could not be covered, so expect early wake up call in summer unless deep sleepers!

Bed not that comfortable and not 5 star standard.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I stayed at this hotel for one night on a business trip in March 2014. I did not try any of the wellness / spa offerings. This is is what I liked about the hotel:

1. Very convenient to pedestrian zone / main square of Krakow.
2. Beautifully styled and elegant.
3. Quiet room (at least mine was very quiet!).
4. Near excellent restaurants.

This is what I did not like as much:
1. The bed was very low, and not very comfortable.
2. The bed frame extends beyond the mattress and I kept hitting my shins against it. Ouch!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This was our second time to stay at the Stary in Krakow. this time we brought the family. great hotel. friendly staff. great location, 30 meters from the main square. The breakfast is the best buffet we have seen for a long time. Hopefully we will be back soon.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Galahotels.com

2 Thank Dave M
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 17 February 2014

So my visit to the Hotel Stary was the first hotel I’ve stayed at in Poland, as this visit to Krakow was my first time in Poland, and I have to admit, I wasn’t sure what to expect. Before I booked, I had been looking at staying at this hotel (due to it’s location, and because the England football team stayed there for Euro 2012), and a hotel near the Royal Castle, looking over the river. I picked Stary, and wasn’t disappointed.

My driver I had booked through the hotel was waiting for me at the domestic terminal at the airport, and he was super friendly. A nice young guy who was happy to wait (the flight was delayed by sometime), and spoke perfect English. It did feel strange getting driven around a Mercedes people mover with just myself sitting in it, but it was luxurious, and comfortable. My driver was talking to me about Krakow and showing me sights of Krakow, it made the drive more enjoyable.

The first thing you notice when you go to the hotel is the big old wooden door, which swings open when you approach it, looks rather James Bond-esque. Check in was fine, though they were having a problem with a couple of customers there, and the porter had to help them find another room, which meant I had to find my own room. It was a bit strange, as this was my first time there, and I didn’t know where everything was, but it was OK. I booked a double room, which was an amazing room, very spacious, and very classical. The bathroom had a spa bath in it, which was handy after my flight from Lviv, via Warsaw, and the whole room was just beautiful. My only main issue was the basin in the bathroom, which had an issue with the plug, but it was no major issue.

The rooftop bar offers views of Market Square, though the barriers up around do prevent a full view, but you get a nice view of it anyway. The rooftop bar is great for drinks, and a perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing. If I remember rightly, it closes around 10pm during the week, so be sure you get your timing right, but in Krakow, it is so easy to lose time, because you’re always doing something! Trzy Rybki serves as the main restaurant in the hotel, and this place is top of the market. The staff were friendly, and service was good, the food was rather nice, but I only ate dinner there once, as I wanted to go out and try all the other great looking places around, and mix things up a bit. I did find it a bit rude that the waiter made a thing about the bill not including tip, and the look on his face when I didn’t tip, but I’m not one who believes in tipping.

Breakfast at this place is amazing, not a full buffet breakfast like most of the others hotels I have stayed at while overseas, but never the less, it was fantastic. The staff in the morning were really friendly, and apart from your fixed menu, you could help yourself to cold meats, slices, yoghurts and the like.

The wellness centre is just something that took my breath away, on the lower level, it kind of looked like a cross between Bond and old times. The curved ceilings and bare bricks just made it look the best wellness centre in a hotel I’ve ever been. The water in the pool wasn’t too deep, which is great for someone like myself who isn’t good at swimming, and the whole setting was amazing, I’m struggling to find the right words to do it justice.

Reception staff at the hotel were always helpful, when I had booked for excursions with external groups, a phone call to me was made, and they treated those tour companies with respect while they were waiting there (once was Escape 2 Poland, the other Krazy Guides), which is good, because it can be easy for people to be annoyed when someone isn’t using their own tour guides. Also when I was going out to send postcards, I actually had to ask what the post boxes in Poland looked like, and again helpful and showing me where the nearest was (and they didn’t laugh too much as my question of “what does a post box look like?”)

Checking was a breeze, though there was a bit of miscommunication between my driver to take me to the airport and reception, as he hadn’t been informed I had paid for the transfer as part of the bill, but it was all sorted.

The Hotel Stary is a real gem in the old and beautiful city, close to major attractions, great facilities, a mix of the classic with the modern, this is the place to go. Sure it might be a bit more expensive than other hotels, but for luxury like this, it is worth it. I hope to go back to Krakow again next year, and offcourse, staying at this beautiful hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank David T
uk
Reviewed 5 February 2014

Am staying at the hotel at the moment with my wife. We are 3 days into our 5 day stay and cannot recommend this hotel enough.

The location is superb - just of the main square and within walking distance of everything you would want to see in the old town. When we pulled up outside in our taxi we were a little worried as the doorway is very plain and does not give any indication of what is behind.

The public areas and rooms are uber cool and trendy, the staff friendly and service is excellent.

The restaurant and drinks are a little pricey, but you get what you pay for.

Just some examples of the little touches that make a difference,

You get not just bathrobes and slippers in your wardrobe, you also get an umbrella just in case it rains.
The bath is not just a spa bath but a top of the range jacuzzi
The toiletries are amazing
The tv in the bedrooms are the very latest flat screen and cooly attached the walls

Etc etc etc

Will definitely be back

P.s. You must try the polish restaurant called morskie oko just behind the hotel on plac szczepanski. It's cheap and brill !

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sunshinemike
London
Reviewed 15 January 2014

our friend who its working with us recommended this hotel restaurant because he used to work there.... it was worth it! me my boyfriend and our friend booked a table for quiet Saturday night. it was great, staff was excellent. wine was great !! service was wonderful, didn't have to worry about anything... food was excellent, really really nice, and delicious. if I will visit Krakow again I ll definitely come back to this restaurant.
restaurant looks really nice but simple. white table cloth with flower on it. so simple but really elegant.

and once again food was delicious.
will come back !!!!

well done all.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Patrycja L
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We stayed in the Hotel Stary for 4 nights last summer. It was our first time in Krakow (it is a beautiful city and is not to be missed!) and we chose the hotel based on reviews. The Hotel Stary has a number of things going for it-- it is a lovely renovation of a 15th century building and you can see the old walls in the restaurant and the lobby. It has a superb location right off the square and it has quiet, atmospheric, clean rooms with great air conditioning (it was very hot while we were there). It also has a nice rooftop bar with a great view over the square. Our room was attractive and spacious. It had heavy wood doors, parquet floors, a small but more than adequate bathroom and a comfortable bed. What somewhat marred our stay, however, was the attitude of the staff at the front desk. I can best describe their demeanor as "communist-level service" and suspect that it is a holdover from the past that could be remedied with some training. They were gruff and unhelpful and made you think that you were annoying them by checking in. Note that this was not one particular staff member but all of the personnel at the front desk. (We did not experience this in the restaurant at breakfast where they were very pleasant). Despite their gruff demeanor, when we requested a recommendation for a private guide, they set us up with a fabulous guide (Kasha from Socha Travel) who showed us things that we would never have seen otherwise and who was extremely knowledgeable about Polish history. So, we have mixed feelings about this hotel and would think about whether there were other good options the next time we visit Krakow.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple