“Please stay away”
Review of Hotel Daisy

Hotel Daisy
Ranked #235 of 265 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 19 November 2011

Stayed here in a standard room. The hotel is located in the middle of a housing estate, and is in the middle of nowhere. Forgetting that travel agents walk 10x quicker than most other people, I booked due to the cheap price, thinking I could wander round Krakow and use it as a base. This gets very expensive, as unless you fancy a brisk 45 minute walk along a main road, you will not be seeing the city unless you get a taxi. The rank is about 10 minutes walk away, and there is not always taxis there. If you are lucky you might get to wait there whilst the local weirdos who hang around outside the off-license shout things at you.

The "Bed" wasn't even a bed - it was a sofa thing with a cheap tiger blanket over the top. This thing gave off so much static I was worried it was going to connect with one of the numerous loose cables and dodgy wiring that is littered around your tiny room. Constant static shocks are not conductive to a good nights sleep.

The staff were something else- I have never met an unfriendlier bunch in my life. I have no idea if they were there against their wills but I felt like an inconvenience rather than a guest. I understand there is a bar but to be frank I was concerned I would be strung up if I asked it to be opened. I was relieved that throughout my 7 nights here, they did not bother to clean my room or replace my towels once. The "guest garden" is an unkempt lawn littered with fag butts and covered in broken garden furniture. The TVs don't work and were purchased in the 1980s by the looks of things (probably installed when they last cleaned the rooms).

Yes it is cheap, but this time cheapness comes at a price - you won't sleep, you will spend all your money on taxis, and you will be terrified of the staff. Please, please, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank bicycleglasses

Reviewed 15 October 2011

Having travelled extensively throughout Europe staying in campsites, small hotels and other accommodation I can say without doubt this was definitely the worst place I have ever stayed in and is barely credible as even a hostel!
We were booked into a double room in the 'Hotel Daisy Superior’ by Thomas Cook as part of a package deal. Upon arrival we were told to pay a further 12 zloty local tax (payable in cash only!) and shown a tiny, twin bedded room which was dark and poorly furnished. The room had only a piece of net at the window, no shutters and was so small that it was impossible to open the wardrobe without moving the bed!
When we enquired as to why we did not have a double room we were told that the Hotel Daisy Standard, which Thomas Cook had actually booked us into, did not have any double rooms and suggested we ' push the beds together' .We continued to advise that we were unhappy and we were offered a room in the Hotel Daisy Superior for an additional £80. Despite advising both the hotel reception staff and Thomas Cook's emergency contact line staff that we had indeed already paid for a room in the Hotel Daisy Superior we were not offered any alternative accommodation. The room had dangerous electrical fittings with the lights, TV and alarm clock all being run from one wall mounted extension cable. There were bare wires hanging from the wall lights and the socket was over 6 feet from the ground, meaning that you had to stand on a chair to plug in any appliance. The beds were actually very hard sofas with old blankets laid on top to cover up the base area. The hotel was advertised as offering swimming pool facilities and Wi-Fi but these were only available at a price (15 zloty per visit) for clients not staying in a superior room. The staff were both rude and aggressive when we complained about the accommodation and seemed very used to dealing with frequent complaints. Having been challenged regarding the status of our booking the reception staff proceeded to offer us a Hotel Daisy Superior room at a reduced rate of £60 but without use of the swimming pool facilities! This hotel or the travel agents using this hotel are mis-selling the accommodation as 3 star and upon arrival offering sub-standard, hostel standard accommodation which is less than even the suggested 1 star, using the confusion around the Hotel Daisy/ Hotel Daisy Superior as a convenient excuse!!!
Krakow is a fantastic city with very friendly people but please never ever stay at this hotel. We had to pay another £130 to make alternative arrangements for other accommodation since both the Hotel Daisy/Daisy Superior and Thomas Cook failed to help us. This experienced ruined the first day and a half of our holiday. I have a booking confirmation showing I was booked in the Hotel Daisy Superior yet this is not what I received.
My advice to anyone booked into this Hotel is to please confirm with your travel agent exactly where and what standard of accommodation you are being given. This hotel has numerous terrible reviews on various websites .I cannot believe that any credible UK travel agent would consider offering this to their clients. In future I will avoid travel agents and book my own accommodation checking reviews online made by customers !!!

Room Tip: Just don't come here -go elsewhere!. Krakow is full of reasonably priced , decent accommodation.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fmg571
Reviewed 1 October 2011

This was literally the most appalling excuse for a hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at.
It was filthy from the car park all the way through to the bed itself.
Exposed wires in the bedroom, nice if you have little ones.
The toilet was coming loose from its fittings.
The linen was comprised of fleece tiger blankets, not only ugly but inadequate.
Restaurant? Don't think so.
Staff? The worst thing about this tip. The hatchet face woman on reception was beyond unhelpful. Everything we asked was met with a look of boredom and disdain. If it were my business she would be out the door as her attitude made me want to turn around and go home.
Finally, housekeeping? You'll be lucky. The one day out of four the room looked like it had been tended to, they literally turned the sheet over.
No cleaning, no charm, no go!

Room Tip: Choose another hotel! Stay by the side of the road. Erect a tent. Anything!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Lucy L
A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Room Tip: Absolutely terrible. Dirty. Unfriendly and unhelpful staff. Hotel in the middle of a building sit...
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank A Holiday Lettings verified reviewer
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Many people said that you get what you are paying for! Not exactly! That hotel isn,t cheap. Pls don,t compare prices to other EU countryies because 60 usa dol is a lot for that hotel. Lokation is strenge, who gave permit to build hotel in residential area? When I arived at night by bus from Wroclaw, had to wait 20 min for driver outside of bus station because the building was already close, it was 20min past midnight. There was nobody outside and the driver make me wait for him at the bus stop. I was scare to death. I was told that hotel is 4 km from bus stop and 4 km from airport. It took like 20 min to get to hotel. Was like 20km. Driver left me at lobby not even asking if I need help with my luggage. I ask for superior roo because driver told me that for extra 50 zl I will have much better room in newer part of the hotel and I had flight to New York next day .I was expecting to get good sleep and was expecting to get nice bath. There was no elevator and had to carry my luggage to 2nd fl. Was so suprise when i went to bathroom to find out that there was no soap, shampoo. Had feeling that bathroom wasen,t clean. When I ask for shampoo girl told me I can call for taxi and make my shopping! It make me really abset because for 179zl. I was expecting to have shampoo and soap. I call front desk and requested shampoo in the morning and the girl brought shampoo from owners apartment . Shower didn,t work right and water was everywhe on the floor. I will never recomend that hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Elisabeth P
Reviewed 20 November 2010

Hotel Daisy wouldn't be my first choice of hotel, in fact it probably wouldn't be a second or third. Its one of those hotels you end up staying in & depending on the group your with will either work or won't.

We took a late break to Krakow early November. A very last minute booking with the primary aim to visit Auschwitz - Krakow itself was just a bit of a bonus.

Firstly the hotel. The hotel itself is in a really strange location - described as being 4km outside of Krakow city centre, it felt considerably longer. Its smack bang in a small residential area, nestled between a number of large houses off the beaten track. As per other reviews the hotel is surrounded by building work, but unless you’re actually making use of hotel facilities you'll never be bothered by these.
Our visit was fleeting, so we never made use of the hotel facilities at all. The swimming pool and hot tub did look excellent though, and for a weekend break may offer a little light comfort.
The reception staff were friendly and offered advice when asked, but didn't go out of their way to make your stay more welcoming - for me, and the group of lads I was with, this was fine. For us the hotel was simply a base and a bed, and as long as we could get a taxi and a fresh towel it was fine. Taxi’s could be ordered at reception and would normally arrive within 5 minutes.

We stayed in the standard room, which as other reviews suggest is basic. We were a group of 4 lads, each with a single room. The rooms varied in size and layout, but were all much the same – a bed, a small tv, a wardrobe, and an en suite bathroom.
The Bed itself was rock hard, more like an old sofa than a bed. Pillows were soft, but supported by a solid arm rest type thing!?!
The bathrooms were basic, and as a group we had mixed results with the shower. Luckily for me mine was steaming hot and very powerful, but two of the lads ended up with trickles of water and random heat settings.

We ventured into breakfast on the first morning, but weren’t overly blown away by the spread. A small toasting machine, scrambled eggs, ham & cheese, and the odd bit of toast. We didn’t really expect anything else to be honest, so instead decided to trek into town and find something a bit more filling.

Overall I don’t really want to fault the hotel. Its basic, but its cheap. If you just fancy a very cheap weekend away & you’re not fussy about your bed or hotel facilities, Hotel Daisy works. One additional plus point, the hotel had 3 open wireless networks which you could access from your room – if you’re travelling, or just in need of a facebook burst you’ll love this.

Transport.

You’ll spend most of your time getting around Krakow by taxi, and to be honest they are quite reasonably priced. Transfers from the Airport to the hotel cost around 35-40zl, which works out about £10 – it’s about a 10-15 minute journey.
Getting into the city centre from the hotel is a similar distance and will generally set you back in the region of 25-30zl during the day, but anything up to double this at night. Be careful when getting taxi’s at night, don’t be shy in asking the price prior to jumping in – the taxi’s are metered and will quickly rack up in the early hours.
The city also has a tram line and local bus service, both of which run from the airport – given more time I would have liked to explore these options, but being a very last minute deal we just went with convenience.

Krakow

The City itself is stunning and would make an excellent location for a weekend away for couples. Due to our very swift visit (Fri-Sun) we didn’t really get a chance to explore the city as much as I would have liked, but I’ve already got plans to revisit and see more. Something about Krakow reminds me a bit of Barcelona.
The central square is amazing, truly stunning to look at, and lined with restaurants and bars. The food is excellent quality & very reasonably priced – £20-£25 will easily fill your stomach with a beer or two to boot.
Off the central square you’ll find mazes of little alleys, each leading to smaller equally picturesque squares. Bars and restaurants are everywhere. Each bar you walk into you’ll be amazed by – most descend downstairs in to large open plan dimly lit cellars (making them all the more spectacular).
Considering the number of bars, Krakow didn’t strike us as a party city. The average beer costs £1.50 and Vodka is practically coming out of the fountains, but despite this it actually comes across quite refined. Large groups of English and Irish travellers could be found in some of the larger bars near the central square, but as you head off into the maze of alleys you soon find yourself in quite more local bars. Saturday night is definitely the day the locals go out, so if you’re planning one big night make it Saturday.

On a final note – Auschwitz. If you travel to Krakow you should definitely visit Auschwitz. Whilst for some it may not seem high on the priority list, it’s a day visit that will stay with you for the rest of your life. Truly remarkable, moving, and shocking at the same time. Auschwitz is roughly an hours drive from Krakow & the easiest way to get there is via a tour – We booked through SeeKrakow which I would highly recommend. Door to door taxi service, fully guided tour, helpful staff – all in can’t fault.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank LostBhoy
Reviewed 4 October 2010

Stayed here with 3 friends for a long weekend of sight-seeing. On arrival we asked to see a standard room and the superior room. For the small cost of £6 per night we upgraded to the superior room which was lovely. Beautiful, large ornate beds with huge pillows, crisp white bedding and everything smelled so clean. The room had everything we needed for our visit, bottles of water, TV (for the news)! clean bathroom with clean towels and a safe. The hotel manager showed us around and was very informative. We paid 20 zloty for breakfast (although the brochure in the bedroom stated 15 zloty) it was't really our thing but it was perfectly adequate. When we needed a taxi the reception would call us one and it would arrive within 5 minutes, brilliant service. A small issue occured on our final evening when we tried to purchase some bars of chocolate from their fridge for the stated 2 zloty - we were informed that the price was incorrect, it some how turned into the reception staff member becoming highly agressive. It didn't however detract from the fact that we had thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend it to future travellers. I would recommend the upgrade to the superior room.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends