“Looks bad on the outside, but very nice inside.”
Review of Abella Guest Rooms

Abella Guest Rooms
Ranked #38 of 128 Krakow B&B and Inns
Stockholm, Sweden
“Looks bad on the outside, but very nice inside.”
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My wife and I visited Krakow in May 2009 for an extended weekend trip. We arrived at about 14:00 and the reception was waiting for us (just barely though, as she was literally just walking in and removing the 'back in 5 minutes' sign). We were placed in room 6, which is on the 1st floor (not the ground floor though). There are two ways up to the room, either through the stairs or a small elevator, both of which require you to use a key in order to access your floor (you do not pass through a lobby or similar, so this is the only way for security).

There were only a few rooms on each floor, some facing the street, some facing the back of the building. Number 6 faces the building, and as a result, can be pretty noisy, because the street trams run down that street for most of the night and can be pretty loud.

The hotel is not air-conditioned, which proved not to be a problem for us, as the weather during our stay was not particularly warm. In July or August I could see this being a bit of a problem in Krakow though.

The location of the Abella is...interesting. When we arrived in Krakow, we came in to the central train station from the airport. The website says the Abella is a 5 minute walk from the train station. Unless there was a shortcut that I didn't find in my three days, the walk is really more like 10-12 at a normal pace, and probably more like 15-20 if you're hauling any luggage. Walking down the street, you start to wonder if you're staying in a bad neighborhood. The area looks a bit run-down and just a little bit scary for those who haven't spent much time in Eastern Europe, but this proves to be totally untrue. The area is actually very safe and there are a number of nice boutique shops and two excellent bakeries within a block. It is also only about a 10-12 minute walk to the central town square in Krakow, which is fantastic.

The service was great as well. We are not 'high maintenance' guests, so did not make a whole lot of requests, but those that we did were well responded. Specifically of note, we dealt with two individuals only, both of whom spoke excellent English, and one gave us directions to the central square and two excellent restaurants (we did not ask any questions of the other).

The room was nice, and quite spacious, with a king sized bed, a small desk, a couch, and a small television in the corner. The bathroom was also very nice. The shower was a good size and featured wonderful water pressure. The toilet was a bit odd though. After flushing, some water would fill four about 10-15 seconds, and then a loud pump motor would empty the contents. This is fine normally, but could be a bit annoying in the middle of the night.

The rooms are also all different. Another member of our party was staying next door in room 5, so we saw the inside of this as well. This room was a bit nicer (not to say ours was bad). A bit larger, and the bathroom was nicer as well.

Overall, I could definitely recommend this.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed 25 May 2009

In walking from the train station, it was quite easy to find the street the house is located on. However, I am not used to Eastern European cities, so the further I walked, the more afraid I got of being in a bad part of town. The buildings along the street do not appear to be well kept, so I was very afraid of what the hotel was going to be like. I was pleasantly surprised. The woman at the front desk was extremely helpful (especially at recommending good places to eat), and the rooms were very large, more American sized than European sized.

We traveled with my husband's parents, so I had the two rooms to compare. Ours was very nice, large enough to accommodate a (quite comfortable) king sized bed as well as a couch and tables. The bathroom was lovely, though our toilet had a strange flush (as did the people across the hall- quite loud and recognizable). My In-laws' room was even larger with a separate sitting area, and a better bathroom. Their toilet was normal. My husband and I figured that the building was not designed to be a hotel, so the last two rooms didn't have original plumbing. The rooms were kept clean, and bottled water was provided (it is recommended that you do not drink Poland's tap water) as well as coffee and tea.

The street that I had originally thought was sketchy was actually quite nice. It was full of shops, three bakeries, and only a few blocks from the big market square. It was probably about a 10 minute walk to the square, though it took our group a little longer. Being so close to the tourist area was also detrimental to our stay, since the drunk tourists would start yelling at each other while walking down the street, and since we like to sleep with the windows open, the trams could have prevented us from falling asleep (though it was not a problem thanks to how exhausted we were from all the sight-seeing).

All in all, I really enjoyed my trip to Krakow, and this hotel was a great part of that. Just don't expect to watch television- even though the poorly dubbed Sylvester Stallone movies can be humorous.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
London, UK
Reviewed 27 April 2009

You can choose the Abella with confidence: big, clean rooms and the staff were lovely. It's basic, and more a collection of rooms than a hotel as such (I guess it's there in the name!), but it's excellent value for money.

We'd wanted to stay in Kazimierz, but couldn't find the rooms we needed at the right price. The Abella lies a bit to the north of the market square, but the square and Kazimierz are both in walking distance. That said, we did use some taxis for Kazimierz at night when drinking and/or sleeping beckoned.

We got a simple breakfast of rolls, ham and cheese delivered to the room each morning. We hadn't been told this, and on the first morning we dragged ourselves downstairs, a little the worse for wear, trying to find a non-existent dining room.

Perhaps the only downside was that the third bed in our triple room was a sofa bed. Not really a surprise, with hindsight, and maybe my fault for not checking.

But for the money, I can't fault it.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Western Australia
Reviewed 31 December 2008

I arrived on the train from Prague at 9:30pm. A member of staff was on hand to show me in. [ all prearranged]. No problem was too small. Not that I had any. Lovely, well appointed room, close to Krakow Glowny, close to the main square and food and drink shops. Went on an organised tour to Auschwitz pick up and drop off at the hotel. Friendly staff. They even let me use their internet.

• Liked — Safe, clean room and close to everything. Well appointed.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled solo
Waterlooville, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2008

We have just come back from a 3 night stay at The Abella Guest Rooms in Krakow. The accommodation is very nice and the staff are also very nice and helpful. The location is quite good - only a 10 minute walk to the railway station and Rownek Glowny. The bathroom and shower in particular were really lovely.
There were a few minus points however. Our room was at the front of the building with the trams rolling past almost constantly (except between 11pm and 5am when they stop). There was only 1 pillow each and only 1 paper cup each provided each day. OK if you only want 1 cup of tea/coffee per day, a problem if you want more! When we booked we paid extra for a 'comfort room' which supposedly had an extra long bed but the bed we had was most definately a standard length. As we arrived in the morning we suspect our allocated room wasn't yet ready and we were put into an available standard room (but still charged the comfort room price - an extra 30 euros).
All in all the Abella was a nice place to stay but we think a little expensive for what we got.

• Liked — Wonderful bathroom with lovely shower
  • Disliked — Only 1 pillow each and only 1 paper cup each per day.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah P
Wiltshire
Reviewed 22 June 2008

I had the pleasure of staying at Abella Guest Rooms in Cracow for two weeks and I must say, having travelled all over the world, I have never experienced such good value for money.
But it was the friendly, hospitable and charming owners, Syliva and Peter, who went out of their way to accommodate my requests, that made staying at the luxurious guest rooms memorable for me.
This combined with the main market square being a 10 min walk away, free internet, useful information about local attractions, events and tours, good access to public transport (tram stop is about 100 metres away from the hotel, very handy for anyone wishing to explore surounds, such as Kazimierz/the Jewish Quarter), with plenty to see and do, it really makes any visit to Cracow worthwhile and hassle-free.
Sylvia and Peter, if you're reading this, thank you once again for making me feel at home and keep up the great work. Being English, it's rare for me not to make any complaints, so I will say that I only wish my stay could have been longer. But I'll be back for sure.

• Liked — the quality of the rooms, reasonable price and the owners
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Inspiredtravel
Sheffield
Reviewed 8 May 2008

Stayed at the Abella for 5 days in April in the truly wonderful City of Krakow.The hotel is not located on the most picturesque street in the city but is within easy walking distance of the famous Main Square.The rooms are located in a tastefully renovated old building with many original features and is spotlessly clean throughout with many nice added touches to the general decor. The rooms have modern bathrooms and are furnished to a good standard.There is a slight drawback in that there is no lounge area where you could meet and compare notes with other guests but all things considered we were delighted with our choice of accomodation.The girls on reception all spoke very good English and could not have been nicer and more helpful.They arranged Taxi transfers from and to the Airport and also arranged our 2 trips (Auschwitz and also the Salt Mines).The trips cost us slightly more than booking with the tour operators in the centre but for the extra 20 zloty you were picked up at the Hotel by Minibus and consequently you were in a much smaller party than if you had gone by the coachload.If we ever return to Krakow (a distinct possibility) we would not hesitate to stay at Abella again.

• Liked — standards of service and cleanliness
  • Disliked — not the prettiest location
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank kidjoe