“A huge disappointment...”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Krakow, Poland
“A huge disappointment...”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We went to Ed Red with high hopes - Polish steakhouse with seasoned beef led by a famous Polish chef, formerly at Ancora restaurant. Unfortunately it turned out to be one of the worst experiences I have had a chance to review on Trip Advisor.

The interior is well though and very cozy, quite raw but gives a great atmosphere. Fridge with meat next to the entrance looks inviting and prepares you well for the dinner. I also have to compliment the service which was professional and kind.

However...one of the appetizers - "Veal offal on grilled croutons" came with animal hair inside (a couple of them!!!) and it definitely was the worst start ever. The person who ate with us decided not to order this again, as it definitely spoiled her appetite for the rest of the meal. I would think that the chef himself should come and apologize, but it never happened...

My beef tenderloin was decent, though it was very unevenly cooked (ordered medium rare). My wife's T-Bone (ordered medium) came both rare (on one side of the bone) and well done (on the other). Guess this is Ed Red's idea of medium... My side dish which was supposed to be a tomato salad with onions came as HALF OF A TOMATO and 1CM cut of onion! Mushroom sauce was ok, green pepper sauce was rather dull.

Steaks tasted decent (If we would forget about the uneven cooking and getting exactly opposite of what we ordered) but still they were far worse than ones in e.g Pimiento.

What a huge disappointment! We will not come here again and I would also not recommend it for you - check out Argentinian steaks instead - there is absolutely no comparison.

The bill came up to be 200PLN (50euros) for 2 people for 2 appetizers, coke, small beer and two steaks - even after 10% discount that we received as an apology for the disastrous starter.

AVOID!

• Turkish first
Truro, United Kingdom
“Steak tough”
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

As a Chef I love the concept and visited this restaurant twice,I had the rib eye on both occassions,setting aside the fact that I ordered med rare both times, and it was served rare.The main thing I cannot understand is the meat is chewy and tough,I buy 21 day matured rib eye from the supermarket and it is so tender it barely needs a knife!.As I said nice idea but not quite there.

Krakow, Poland
“Apparent carnivore delight but avoid lunchtime specials”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We ate in this steakhouse with very high hopes. A very slick Facebook campaign was working a treat in whipping up publicity and new customers. The weather when we went was hot and although we had heard that the steaks were great, we just couldn't bring ourselves to order any on such a sweltering day. They also do a reasonable lunchtime deal ( a rarity in Krakow) with a starter and a main for 29zl. When we walked in the place was totally empty and we were left without a menu until we got up and asked for it. Unforgivable when the waiting staff are all nonchalantly having a chat at the bar. There is only 3 starters to choose from but we still had to wait for 15 mins for the cold tomato soup - which was very good if a little bitter. The liver pate with a blackcurrant jelly was damn tasty also. When the mains came, it was like they were from another restaurant. Poorly seasoned cod in a dull thick batter , overcooked. My meatballs were like compacted saw dust with some salt and pepper surrounded by underripe tomatoes in a tasteless sauce. Terrible.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank shaun o
ANGLESEY
“When dumplings simply won't do”
Reviewed 8 June 2014

OK, you've tried all the local cuisine but now you just need some beef !Go for Dry Aged if you must, but the sliced bavette is a delicious bargain. Not sure about previous reviews but we had a charming waitress. Gave her the biggest tip off the week!

Visited June 2014
“Great food, so so service...”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Very good matured meat at surprisingly friendly price. Staff also friendly but makieng all the mistakes they could.

• Visited April 2014