“Don't feed the pigeons.”

The Secret Garden Hostel
Ranked #67 of 265 Hotels in Krakow
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Hostel Secret Garden.

Location
At first sight I thought this hostel was beyond the flying map of Cracow. I was very wrong. The metro station is just 175 meters away. And the main pubs (Kazimierz/Plac Nowy) is just 750 meters away.
The Hostel itself is located in a silent area (almost no traffic in the streets).
The exchange kantor in Plac Wolnica (bus stop) gives a very decent exchange deal. Exchange kantor Grosz located in the Centrum (Sławkowska 4) gives a slightly better deal.

The hostel
They have a sort of hippy flower/tree formula. Most Walls, doors, carpet, is mostly decorated in green and purple Woodstock colors (very funny). Every rented room has it's own tailored theme.
My rented room (20) was much better than expected (it could easily match a 2-3 star by hotel quality). Nice personal shower & toilet and bed with 4 pillows, TV set.
And the looks on the outside was a little gem (a small decorated secret garden)
But you have to keep in mind that this is a hostel and no hotel. So you got only the basics : Hand soap, but there's one small supermarket located just around the corner (Plac Wolnica).
During your staying no servicing is done until you leave. New towels is possible against a small fee.
But that's in my opinion a more than fair reason why the cost of staying is very well priced.
The morning breakfast is good, didn't had the time to use it very often because my personal schedule of all things I tried to see in- and outside of Cracow. But I liked the yoghurt anyway.
On the front side of the hostel you have a nice option to sit down and relax as well (and smoke - Hurray).
In the central living room you have 3 PC's with connection to the internet. But the wifi signal in my room worked spotless.

A lot of pro's but 2 small cons.
[*] Movement from other rooms can be heard. Earplugs could easily fix this minor problem.
[*] And a lot of pigeons in the morning. Some pranking idiot was feeding this birds around 05:00, great gig. Those birds can create a lot of noise in the morning.

The Staff
My first checking and tried to pay for my room directly in cash : "Sorry sir, We don't have enough exchange can you please pay the remaining by tomorrow - missing 22 zloty". Here is your key.
Wow, great service and warm feeling (first encounter of my journey in Cracow)
Staffcrew 24/7 spotless and insight (and always with a good mood) on the job.
---------
Couldn't leave this hostel empty handed. It was a real pleasure to be in Cracow/Polen. Loved everything.

My personal schedule of things i liked to see and visit is completed by approx 80-90 % (was very well prepared, before entering Cracow), so I have to return to Cracow (rebook). Where I’m going to stay is no longer an issue.

Kind Regards,
ES

Room Tip: Single.. room 20. Great view on the outside.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Drugshond

Reviewed 27 July 2013

I was given a nice sized room which was spotless, the bathroom was also of a very decent size. The breakfast was fantastic, with choices of cereals, bread, cheese and meats. The hostel staff were also very helpful and there was always someone on duty.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Willothewisplondon
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Staff were so nice, let me hang out there till I needed to catch my night bus. Breakfast amazing, rooms clean and facilities great. Definitely would recommend this hostel. Not only has dorms, but also single and double rooms which are nice too. I stayed in both for a few nights each and both were sweet. Thanks :)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Helen R
Reviewed 8 July 2013

I booked this hotel for a stag weekend, and made this clear on booking. To be told on arrival stag party is not welcome. The hotel is very basic, but a great location, you get what you pay for, and if you want something cheap and basic this is the hotel for you. We had a shared bathroom for 5 rooms and the floor was always wet. As we were on stag weekend we were made to feel like criminals , they checked the room before departure. But the rooms are so basic it was pointless as we only slept there. Best advice don't stay if you on a stag doo as you are not welcome. So as bad as this review is the hotel will be happy as they don't want you there either .

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stay for only one night, but wished we could have been there longer. The beds were comfortable, free (fast) internet and breakfast were huge perks, and it's within walking distance of everything in Krakow. Staff was friendly and recommended great restaurants and helped with directions. The only criticism is that there were not screens on windows, so when we opened them for air circulation we also let in flies and other insects. Despite that minor discomfort, it is a place we would love to stay again. Go Secret Garden Hostel!

1  Thank travelou42
Reviewed 1 July 2013

We stayed in Lavender room for 2 nights, had own bathroom and double bed (a little small but comfy) - all clean. working tv was a nice bonus. the only surprise was that Lavender room is behind the TV/internet room without the separate entrance - we were concerned in the begining about the possible noise from the TV room but nothing disrupted our sleep. The staff also seem quite strict about keeping it down after 10pm.
Breakfast was great: one kind of cheese and meat plus selection of jams, cereals, bread. Hot drinks available all day in the kitchen equipped with all amenities so you can even cook your dinner. The place is located in Kazimierz part of Krakow - 5 min walk from tens of pubs and bars and 15 min walk from the old town.

1  Thank lukasos
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I stayed in the secret garden hostel a few weeks ago and cannot say a bad word about it. My boyfriend and I stayed in the Olive Grove room which was a lovely size and right next to the bathroom. The receptionist where extremely welcoming and helpful. They helped us book a trip to auschwitz which was great value for money.
The breakfast which was included in the price of the room was above and beyond any hostel I have ever stayed at. The offered a selection of breads preserves ,cereals ,ham, cheese and yogurts. And had fresh filter coffee on offer and five varieties of tea!

The hostel it's self was located very close to the kazimierz which was lovely to wonder through at night and had many a beautiful resturant

The only down side is that we booked a double room and we were given a twin room with the beds pushed together but in the grand scheme of things this was not a big deal at all.
Overall a beautiful hostel which was great value for money a must when visited krakow.